Red belt: twice in 30 years

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Last night my master awarded me a red belt as a result of Saturday testing. This is special for me because it's the rank I held when I left taekwondo in 1981 for college. It's a different experience at 47 as opposed to 17, and I wouldn't trade either one. With team practices, my classes, and helping as an assistant with the young kids' classes, I'm at the dojang 6 evenings a week now. As a teen I needed the structure and leadership, but my focus was on my growth. Now I still need that, but I'm more aware of my obligation to give back. It's rewarding to be part of the growth that happens for others while I continue to improve myself too.

Carl

bribrius

Green Belt
Reaction score
congrats .

I get the impression that you are a great benefit to your art as it is to you. cheers to you sir.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last night my master awarded me a red belt as a result of Saturday testing. This is special for me because it's the rank I held when I left taekwondo in 1981 for college. It's a different experience at 47 as opposed to 17, and I wouldn't trade either one. With team practices, my classes, and helping as an assistant with the young kids' classes, I'm at the dojang 6 evenings a week now. As a teen I needed the structure and leadership, but my focus was on my growth. Now I still need that, but I'm more aware of my obligation to give back. It's rewarding to be part of the growth that happens for others while I continue to improve myself too.

Carl

Congratulations Carl, and let me tell you you are not alone, it took me 23 years to earn my second dan black belt. I earned my 1st dan black belt in 1987 when I was in college, I keep training till 1992 and then quit TKD for 15 years.

Yes, it's not the same when I was in my 20's, now I am turning 43 in a few weeks and I am teaching a small class of very few good men, sometimes my aches makes me wonder what am I doing in TKD, cause I can't kick so fast and so high anymore however the good things TKD gives me everyday are fantastic.

Manny

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations!
Nothing like rediscovery, but after 30 years, it's pretty much a whole different animal, eh?

Latest Discussions