An Update on Christian TKD

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We held our very first class last week. I am a co-head of the program. We open the practice with a short prayer and then get right to it with a cardio warm up and then basics practice. The bulk of the remaining class will be then spent on self-defense practice with hyung as a reinforcing drill. Then we bow out.

If you want to stay for the optional sparring class, you may. It is conducted informally after a five minute homily or lecture delivered by the other co-head of the program.

Good turnout so far. Lots of parents training with their children. We've had some parents ask if their really little ones can join, but we've held firm on the 8 minimum age.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So let me ask you this OK, how did you go about marketing the class and what brought them into the school? I am curious how it really works from the outside person looking in. If need be you can pm me your answer.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So let me ask you this OK, how did you go about marketing the class and what brought them into the school? I am curious how it really works from the outside person looking in. If need be you can pm me your answer.

The marketing comprised of a notice published in the church bulletins for almost a month along with being mentioned in the announcements section of each church mass. Students are entirely comprised from the church membership as this is a completely free ministry with no fees charged other than for equipment and that will be sold at near cost.

It's really interesting, Terry, but I teach in a variety of avenues now (my own private dojo, in a corporate wellness program, in my friend's TKD school, and now the church). The types of students at each location have very little overlap and their needs can be entirely different too.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's really interesting, Terry, but I teach in a variety of avenues now (my own private dojo, in a corporate wellness program, in my friend's TKD school, and now the church). The types of students at each location have very little overlap and their needs can be entirely different too.

So this program will not be a feeder into one of the others?

I commend you for starting this ministry. I've thought of trying (again) to teach in a church-type program.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So this program will not be a feeder into one of the others?

I really doubt it, Miles.

My dojo = traditional Goju-ryu karate with extensive body conditioning and high level of physical contact.

Corporate wellness: I'm paid by a local Fortune 1000 company to teach karate to their workers with an emphasis on cardio conditioning. Employees and their family members only.

Friend's dojang: I teach kobudo and karate-inspired applications to the Choi hyung to TKD students. I am not a TKD instructor per se there.

Church: TKD laced with some Christian worship.

So you can see I'm really teaching something different in each environment, and the target audiences are different as well. I see very little potential for crossover and for financial & ethical reasons, I prefer it that way.

I commend you for starting this ministry. I've thought of trying (again) to teach in a church-type program.

Thanks! But I can't really take the credit. The other gentleman was more of a catalyst.

Latest Discussions