The Spirit.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This was awful--every bit as bad as the reviews said it would be. Frank Miller, don't quit your day job! Bad acting (esp. by the lead), weak direction, tasteless choices in script and scenery, with only the intriguing Sin City-style cinematography to leaven it (but that's been done before). The Wolverine trailer was the high point of the film.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even the TV ads for it are awful. Sorry you lost a couple hours of your time, but thanks for the heads-up!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This was awful--every bit as bad as the reviews said it would be. Frank Miller, don't quit your day job! Bad acting (esp. by the lead), weak direction, tasteless choices in script and scenery, with only the intriguing Sin City-style cinematography to leaven it (but that's been done before). The Wolverine trailer was the high point of the film.

Well I knew this would be a bust. It just looked that way.

Sorry you had to sit through it Arnisador.
icon9.gif

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another one bites the dust, thanks for the heads up.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really wanted this to be a good movie!

My son the comic book fan was also very interested in it being good...including because there's speculation that while The Dark Knight and Iron Man opened new ground for comic book movie acceptance, this flop may lose some traction for such movies and esp. his soon-to-be-favorite comic boom movie, the upcoming Watchmen film (if the lawsuit over it is ever settled). But we all agreed it was poor. They needed someone with more gravitas for the lead. Samuel L. Jackson was in a whole other film with his over-the-top portrayal of a character who, literally, gets hit with everything including the kitchen sink while the good guy is somber to the point of somnambulence. They never made a real connection between the Spirit and the city he loves so much (as he keeps saying). The cloned bad guys were funny--one person playing all of the Octupus' thugs--but apart from that it was an interminable wait for the credits.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ya know man I am sorry that you didn't like it. I haven't seen it, however it seems no one really took to daredevil. I did, I liked it for what it was. It stayed pretty well with the comic book.

I have all the movie channels so it takes something like "Jet Li's Fearless", "Spider-Man 3" to come out to see a movie before dvd or HBO/Cinemax/Staz/Encore.

Latest Discussions