The Sparring Paradox

In regards to tournament sparring the Kenpoist is restricted
by the use of safety equipment. Almost all encounters will be in the form of a clash so the use of 3-4 weapons is all that is
needed.

1-front snap kick
2- rear hand reverse punch
3- Lead leg side kick
4- Lead hand backfist and or ridgehand.

Think in terms of what was/is called 3rd strike primary,
where your first 2 moves are distraction or manipulations to
create an opening for your scoring weapon. Also it
is best to scope out the judges ahead of time to note which
weapon or targets they react to. Be sure to align your self
in the line of site of the judge who favors your attack.

For street style the best training happens on Friday/Saturday
nights in the studio where you start in the back of the room
and have to get to the front door by survivng the phalanx
of opponents in your way. With no safety equipment but
the self control of not causing serious injury to your fellow
students, this King of the Hill mentality generates peer
respect for being able to take as well as giving it out.
Getting your *** kicked and standing back up to try again
shows an inner strength greater than the 300lb gorilla
who tends to dispatch his oppents with ease.

Originally posted by Kenpo Yahoo

Sieg--- What association are you with? (i.e. who leads it) I can't make out what the crest is in your avatar. Thanks for your input.

The crest in my avatar is uniquley my own. It was designed by my wife Kenpo Tess. At the time it was designed and made, i had no affiliation. I had just left my previous teacher. I am now with the IKKO.

Originally posted by Seig

The crest in my avatar is uniquley my own. It was designed by my wife Kenpo Tess. At the time it was designed and made, i had no affiliation. I had just left my previous teacher. I am now with the IKKO.

I was reading the little bit in one of my shiney new Infinite Insights books (good SO far BUT I hate THE way every OTHER bloody WORD is in BOLD CAPITALS) about the crest and the meaning of all the different parts, I never knew so much thought had gone into it! There's a couple of bits I don't agree with, but it's mostly sound.

Ian.

While we're on the topic of sparring, I'm interested to know how many of you senseis spar with you students (or indeed how many of you students spar with you senseis)?

We do a lot of sparring with each other but never with Glen or Phil, I don't know if this is because he'd just wipe us up or if he prefers to watch. With his senseii being so far away I don't think Glen gets a chance to do that much or indeed any sparring of his own (well, not in class, he does plenty in the pub!), I wonder if he'd like it if we higher belts offered to spar him?

He'd probably just kick the crap out of us!

Ian.

My Sensei spars with us, and, when sparring 1-on-1, uses the opportunity to teach us stuff (usually with motion rather than words).

Well, we spar everyone, I spar my instructor (if you can call it that, its usually me getting pounded :)), and our school has an open door policy on Tuesday nights, so anyone can walk in and jump in the sparring class.

If I spar a lower rank, I don't just run over my opponent, I fight down to slightly above their level, so that they can learn. While doing the sparring I give them tips on what to work on.

Some instructors don't spar because of age or injuries, but I think more don't spar because they might look bad in front of their students. My instructor(s) view on it is that if you can make him look bad, well great, maybe he will learn something from it.

I dunno, just our view on the subject.

Lamont

So, Tess is the POWER behind the Power? Interesting!:eek:

I am now kneeling, let me know when it's safe to look Tess in the eyes!:asian:

I just went back and read the thread entitled "The Sparring Debate," It had some pretty good insight. If you have a few extra minutes (who am I kidding we all have way to much time on our hands if your reading this) you should go check it out.

Just type [ The Sparring Debate ] in at the search prompt.

Thanks for all the feed back, keep the ideas coming.

Originally posted by RCastillo

Behind every great man there is a great woman.....
You may look her in the eyes, but if I catch you flirting....:duel:

Originally posted by satans.barber

While we're on the topic of sparring, I'm interested to know how many of you senseis spar with you students (or indeed how many of you students spar with you senseis)?

We do a lot of sparring with each other but never with Glen or Phil, I don't know if this is because he'd just wipe us up or if he prefers to watch. With his senseii being so far away I don't think Glen gets a chance to do that much or indeed any sparring of his own (well, not in class, he does plenty in the pub!), I wonder if he'd like it if we higher belts offered to spar him?

He'd probably just kick the crap out of us!

Ian.
I make a point of sparring ll of my students. I spar them at their level. When I fell they have reached a comfort zone at their current level, I take it up a notch on them and force them to grow.

Behind every great man there is a great woman.....
You may look her in the eyes, but if I catch you flirting....:duel:

I would never do that Master Seig!:eek:

I make a point of sparring ll of my students. I spar them at their level. When I fell they have reached a comfort zone at their current level, I take it up a notch on them and force them to grow.

Translation: Then he proceeds to kick the crap out of them!:eek:

hehe...that's not true. but when sensei does spar with us, he does go at our own personal level to help us with timing and trying to force openings. usually sparring with sensei keeps people in check and let's them know where they really stand. when Bill(big351stang) and I are able to block ONE of sensei's technique's during a round, we hoot and holler that we were actually able to do it....then he proceeds to take up the slack and resumes kicking the crap outta us....:) when sparring with sensei, he usually gives us insight on a particular combo or an approach to block it, and gives praise when he feels that it's due, so it's always a learning experience.

force us to grow...whew...I'm still a damn toddler. there's still many-a-moon to go before I feel that I've grown any in sparring. ;)

ahhh to have a man kneel down.. *what a glorious feeling .. you may arise Ricardo.. but dare heed what our good man Seig has to say.. **smirks..*

Pictures DO say 1000 words.. :)

taken tonight.. oh poor TestDummy Alex.. *smirks

Attachments

• $axeing-alex.jpg
    $axeing-alex.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 132

Latest Discussions

Back