the sensory experience of Qi.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Motor neurones originate in the motor cortex of the brain (their cell bodies making up itā€™s grey matterā€¦cell bodies are where the ā€˜computingā€™ goes on). These send their axons (their ā€˜wiringā€™) down through the the body of the brain, through the brainstem and to the spinal cord (theses are called the pyramidal tracts) These are the upper motoneurones. In the spinal cord, they connect (via a ā€˜synapseā€™) to a very short interneurone which only traverses the spinal cord and synapses with another motoneurone which leaves the spinal cord (via the ventral root) and goes to the muscle it supplies. This is the lower motoneurone! So upper motoneurone is brain to spinal cord, lower motoneurone is spinal cord to muscle.

This is why the person in the clip, inexplicably dressed as a pig, was wrong with his answer.

Itā€™s fun to be talking about this stuff againšŸ˜Š
So what you're saying is "pyramidal" is correct.

Perfect.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I donā€™t get it?
I may be off base, but don't gamma motoneurons keep light continual tension on the muscle fibers? (I realize it's not the neurons themselves that "flex" but the affected muscle fibers, but the joke impulsively jumped into my head.) Maybe I'm just not good a neuroscience humor. :(

Last edited:

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what you're saying is "pyramidal" is correct.

Perfect.
Yes. The 'pyramids' of the brain are structures that contain cortical and corticobulbal tracts of white matter (white matter = wiring connections). Pioneer anatomists were clear high on crystal meth when they named various brain structures since they look nothing like pyramids to normal people! They were also hungry and horny too since there are 'olives' and 'mammillary bodies' in the brain too!šŸ™„

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may be off base, but don't gamma motoneurons keep light continual tension on the muscle fibers? (I realize it's not the neurons themselves that "flex" but the affected muscle fibers, but the joke impulsively jumped into my head.) Maybe I'm just not good a neuroscience humor. :(
Oh I see šŸ˜€šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£ That's a good one! Yes they do...or rather they keep tension on the modified intrafusal muscles fibres within the muscle spindle rather than the skeletal (extrafusal) muscle. They act like an angler, keeping a bit of tension in the line (intrafusal fibres) so they know where the fish is. Let the fishing line go slack and you have no information on where fishy is located so reel it in, re-establish tension and you get loads of fish-position data back.

You're are more knowledgeable than my final year students were, isshinryuronin!!šŸ˜šŸ˜³

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. The 'pyramids' of the brain are structures that contain cortical and corticobulbal tracts of white matter (white matter = wiring connections). Pioneer anatomists were clear high on crystal meth when they named various brain structures since they look nothing like pyramids to normal people! They were also hungry and horny too since there are 'olives' and 'mammillary bodies' in the brain too!šŸ™„
I can kind of see a pyramid. I added the lines.

1665075742295.png

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
You smoking crystal meth again, Oily Dragon?šŸ˜‰ I think the lateral lumps adjacent to the ā€˜Vā€™-shaped notch are the said vertices of the pyramids. One required a vivid imagination to be a pioneer anatomist!
Just excited the sun is finally out. It's been raining and dismal for 5 straight days here.

Light is energy. Pure energy.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just excited the sun is finally out. It's been raining and dismal for 5 straight days here.

Light is energy. Pure energy.
Same hereā€¦ I spent the day in Glastonbury in the warm sunshine, watching ā€˜alternative peopleā€™ go about their alternative day (and bought lots of booksšŸ˜šŸ˜³).

I must get my light box out as it gets more dismalā€¦.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They act like an angler, keeping a bit of tension in the line (intrafusal fibres) so they know where the fish is. Let the fishing line go slack and you have no information on where fishy is located so reel it in, re-establish tension and you get loads of fish-position data back.
Great way to explain how the mechanics of proprioception work. Thanks.

Latest Discussions