Training Tips From Chen Xiaowang

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yu Bei Shi: Preparatory Posture

From Chen Xiao-Wang's Chen Style Taijiquan: Family Transmission. Translation by David Ho

• The upper body should be upright, but the chest should not stick out.

• The head should be straight, as if a light object has been placed on top of the head and you're trying to prevent it from falling off.

• Lips lightly closed, teeth barely touching, chin slightly tucked in.

• Relax the shoulders, but don't consciously try to sink them.

• Chest muscles should be relaxed, the shape is neither concave nor convex.

• Relax your waist and let it sink down naturally. This section of the spine curves naturally forward and downward, just relax and retain this shape, and the qi will sink down naturally.

• Knee should be bent, kua (pelvic region) should be relaxed, straight, and centered.

The requirements listed above applies not just to this posture but also to every movement throughout the routine.

The above is from here

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
"The requirements listed above applies not just to this posture but also to every movement throughout the routine".

Yes, many of us forget that these rules also apply to the transitions between postures!!!!!Very best wishes

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
"The requirements listed above applies not just to this posture but also to every movement throughout the routine".

Yes, many of us forget that these rules also apply to the transitions between postures!!!!!Very best wishes

I see that a lot in Taijiquan these days. I tell a lot of people that the posture begins at point A and ends at point Z. Meaning that they not only need to get A and Z corect but every single letter in between.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
training has so many levels to it. I am treating myself like I would treat any beginner in my school: with patience. My legs kill and my shoulders keep rising and I accept how little I know. Step by step i will get there. Thank you for all the tips you share and any that you will share in the future

Respectfully,
Marlon