The Real Karazenpo

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
From Joe Shuras;

Hi Jesse, hope all is well with you and yours. I understand you have a new little one in the family, God bless! I was wondering if you could do me a small favor. I was killing some time Sunday and decided to take a look at MartialTalk. Under "The Real Karazenpo" thread Dan Weston had mentioned my name in a couple of posts. I attempted to reply but it's been so long now I have to register and then wait to be approved. Since I don't actively participate on a regular basis anymore so I figured I'll just go to you.

Dan was pretty accurate but it's been awhile since we corresponded or talked via phone and with so much information discussed things can get a little blurred, however I feel his intentions were sincere and his recall was pretty much on the money. There were just a few minor things that I do wish to clarify. He was accurate stating that SGM. Pesare did alter the combinations from the originals and if I may add, replaced others with his own creations BUT the first four forms were always taught the way he was taught by Sijo Gascon. I also learned the originals from him and if you can see his 60's video you'll see the first form. I also saw some 8mm movies Prof. Nick Cerio had of #1 and #3. Mr. Pesare did state to me at one time that with all the current interest on the "original' material that he was seriously considering going back and teaching the original combinations in seminar. So, the correction is he never altered the four original forms, just the numerical combinations, some minor, some more radical.

The second minor correction is about it being "all the original Karazenpo" and the "forward rolls". It was close but just a little clarification here. The "all original Karazenpo" came from when we went to my good friend Bruce Corrigan's school back in 1994. Paul Pucino (an original SGM. Pesare Black Belt) was going over some of the combinations with Bruce in front of Sonny Gascon and Walter Godin and she asked: "Is this the original Kenpo?" The technique Bruce were going over with Paula was using both #3 & #4 block simultaneously (hard scissor type block to a right hand punch (or grab) striking wrist and bicep w/ a simultaneous right front ball kick to the shin. Paula turned and asked Sijo if this was the original Kempo and he stated: "It's all the original Kempo". This wasn't done at the seminar with the forward rolls.

From what I recall this was done at one of the "Gathering of the Eagles" in which individual seminars were given and Sijo Gascon gave a portion on judo breakfalls, emphasis on the forward roll. An attendee of the G.O.E. had called me and was disappointed in that the seminar consisted of this. I know when I first trained under SGM. Pesare in the 70's the first thing he made sure he wanted us to learn was how to fall correctly and we had a similiar class. We would be pushed from behind, drop into a forward roll, spring to our feet, turn and immediately counter by closing the gap with a kick. Some may infer in that he was away from the art for a while and was more comfortable with these basics and others may infer that traditonally this is the first lesson in the "old hardcore" training methods of Karazenpo. We all, respectfully, have our opinions. However, I can backup KenpoJoe Rebelo for I arrived in Rhode Island at Paul Pucino's school and we were all sitting around with Sonny Gascon and KenpoJoe was recalling KGS techniques he was going over with Sijo Gascon the other night at Jimmy Speights' house in R.I. Brad Namahoe was also with us. To Danjo: I see you earned your Shodan in Kaju under Prof. Bishop-congratulations Dan.

This one's for Marlon. Marlon, back in 1978 myself, my friend Rick Modica and a group of black belts were going over forms up to Nenglis and combinations up to #39 with Gm. Villari in Dedham, Ma. I also saw your posts on Shou Tung Kwok (this is the exact spelling Mr. Villari used in the 1975 artiicle in Black Belt magazine. KenpoJoe still has it and we reviewed it at Paula's school that day I mentioned Sonny Gas was there. I am absolutely positive that back then the foot did not land-you remained in the one legged stance, left leg up-with TWO not three downward tiger rakes-left/right and both slapped the knee for effect. I was originally taught this form by Master John Fritz and then Mr. Villari went over it with us later and they both did it the same exact way-positive! I hope that didn't burst your bubble, Marlon, lol, just kidd'n.

Jesse, I appreciate it if you copy and paste this in it's entirety on one of your posts on that thread, thanks.

Hope all on the forum are doing well, God bless & take care, Joe Shuras

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jesse, thanks for posting this. BTW, if you're in contact with Joe, and he is interested in posting again on the forum, one of his old accounts could be reopened. This would eliminate the wait time. Besides, it would be nice having him back! :)

Mike

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From Joe Shuras;

This one's for Marlon. Marlon, back in 1978 myself, my friend Rick Modica and a group of black belts were going over forms up to Nenglis and combinations up to #39 with Gm. Villari in Dedham, Ma. I also saw your posts on Shou Tung Kwok (this is the exact spelling Mr. Villari used in the 1975 artiicle in Black Belt magazine. KenpoJoe still has it and we reviewed it at Paula's school that day I mentioned Sonny Gas was there. I am absolutely positive that back then the foot did not land-you remained in the one legged stance, left leg up-with TWO not three downward tiger rakes-left/right and both slapped the knee for effect. I was originally taught this form by Master John Fritz and then Mr. Villari went over it with us later and they both did it the same exact way-positive! I hope that didn't burst your bubble, Marlon, lol, just kidd'n.

Hope all on the forum are doing well, God bless & take care, Joe Shuras

That's great Joe! Actually, the way i was originally taught the form...well i had 3 tigers but done on one leg with the slapping of the knee! I think it was seeing Shihan do it differently or just me (although i rarely change things on my own...not qualified) that had me change it and the change made sense. Do you have a reason why it was done from the one leg stance? Your input is missed here on MT. It would be amazing if you could convince Master Fritz to give some input here, also. Thanks Jesse for getting this to us!
Respectfully,
Marlon

Latest Discussions