Mystical powers

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What if any does your art have as far as mystical powers, does it date back so far that no-one can really answer those question.

I mean in movie they tell us about ancient warlords that could defeat 100's of men with a single blow. In TKD we really do not have anything like this but maybe some of your style do and would like to share.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think our discipline has anything like that...

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am the keeper of a greater power, a power known throughout the universe as the Schwartz!

:D

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drac are you not able to turn into a bat and fly?
I don't think that has anything to do with MA!

Crocodile Dundee seemed to have some mystical power over animals... but I don't think that was related to MA either. :)

While the style does not claim mystical powers (TKD, I mean), some people who don't know much about MA in general will watch people do things - spar, break, certain difficult techniques - and assume there is some mystical connection, but that's all I can think of.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I won it from him in a poker game.

..Some men are born to greatness, others have it thrust upon them...Andrew got his in a poker game..Nothing wrong with that..

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
The modern founder of bagua, Dong Haiquan, is said to have once walked up a wall. He is also famous for carrying a cup of wine through avery crowded room without spilling a drop. I've seen many a drunk do this though.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The modern founder of bagua, Dong Haiquan, is said to have once walked up a wall. He is also famous for carrying a cup of wine through avery crowded room without spilling a drop. I've seen many a drunk do this though.

Yep i've seen it too..One of the WORST fights I had to break up was because some spilled somone else's glass of beer on 25 cent beer night...

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep i've seen it too..One of the WORST fights I had to break up was because some spilled somone else's glass of beer on 25 cent beer night...

I think I went to university with the Grandmaster of Spill No Drop. This was a guy who knew he would get so drunk as to forget things that he tied a pint mug around his neck. I actually saw him fall down with a full mug and nothing spilled, even when he staggered to his feet again. I was astounded!

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
well this isn't in my art, but I have developed a way to throw my Chi!!!

..........................................just kidding

karate-chimp.jpg

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
waaa tai ching pek kua( hehehe reference kim possible dun know if that is how u spell it ) i think kung fu and wushu have that reputation for powers, u can read a hong kong comic and get an idea.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
What if any does your art have as far as mystical powers, does it date back so far that no-one can really answer those question.

I mean in movie they tell us about ancient warlords that could defeat 100's of men with a single blow. In TKD we really do not have anything like this but maybe some of your style do and would like to share.

You can find numerous tales of such in the olde annals of Tai Chi and other Chinese Arts. I have my own opinions of these as they evolved...

I suspect that originally, as many teachers then appeared to be still practicing fighters, such stories cowed possible opponents... as well as attracting more students and royal patronage.

Perhaps fight stories in the East stem from the same folks with the same motives as fish stories in the West. Tell a story enough folks, and watch it grow...

I suspect some tales were born from the flawed perceptions and recountings of witnesses.... a quick short strike to an opponent might not even be clearly seen by a witness, and when the man died of a ruptured internal organ.... why, it was the Death Touch!

Is it "mysticism" to speak of the beneficial effects to chi flow along the meridians from the Chinese arts... but "science" when couched as enhanced blood and oxygen flow through the body?..... Or merely just different ways of explaining things by the beliefs and language of the era?

Just my guesses, mind you....

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, seeing as how I train in Ninjutsu I could tell you of our ways, but then you'd have to be constantly watching over your shoulder for me to spring out and silence you so you wouldn't tell the masses.:lol:

Actually, I would have to agree that most of the "mystical powers" that have been attributed to the many arts over the years are just old wives tales, told to enhance the image to the untrained. The only power I have noticed after starting to train, is the desire to be there whenever I can and get as many of the people I know and care about involved as well. Plus there has to be something there to make a rather sane person continue to pay to go get the snot knocked out of them, and their muscles worked to soreness week after week, year after year. :idunno:

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's how I see it...

If some totally uninitiated guy threw a punch at me, he'd wind up on the ground wondering 'what happened'? If I told him later I had some magical power, he might buy it.

I don't really buy the supernatural angle. However, with enough training you can accomplish things that appear supernatural to an outsider.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Regardless of the veracity of the stories though, aren't they fun to listen to?
icon10.gif
My first teacher used to regale us students with stories of Wan Lai Sheng, a famous Zi Ran Men master. The one i always remember was of him being invited as the guest of honour at some Kung fu tournament. Everyone at the tournament was showing off their flashiest martial arts tricks, but Wan Lai Sheng declined to compete, saying that he had nothing special to show anyone. But the other masters kept pressing him, saying "we've all come to see the great Wan Lai Sheng, please, give us a demo of your martial power". So eventually he says ok, gets up, walks over to a wall and presses one side of his body up against the wall with his arm against the wall reaching up over his head and his ankle pressed hard against the corner of the floor and the wall. Then he picked up his other leg, the one furthest from the wall, and remained standing for a minute.

At this stage my teacher would dramtically pause and we all said, "That's it? That's all he did?" and of course we'd have a go as well not thinking it was that difficult. But unless you can grip onto something, it's actually impossible to shift your centre of gravity to stop yrself
from falling away from the wall....

Of all the tall stories our teacher told us about old masters (and he had heaps!) this was the one i remembered best 'cause it was so simple and also demonstrated something to us about our own bodies that we hadn't considered before.

Latest Discussions