Making a Video Reference Library

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm mulling around the idea of recording some of my curriculum material and then making it accessible via the web to my students or to students of schools I guest-instruct in. Content such as kata, kata applications, and quick reminders/key points to basic technique.

I don't envision this as a substitute for in-class instruction at all. Just another resource to use when you're out of class, really no different than taking notes down in a note book.

Any thoughts about this? I'm sort of starting from square 1 so if someone could point me to a few software packages or needed camera equipment I would be grateful.

TKDHomeSchooler

Green Belt
Reaction score
I run the website for my school and have asked my instructor to let me video him and do just this. His concern is kids will try to learn ahead and he wants to avoid having to correct poor habits should this happen.

I am doing it personally so I can go back and review and make sure I do it the way I am supposed to instead of trusting the notes I have taken on our moves and forms.

Ray B

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are a plethera of videos out both good and bad of kata.
In my case, there are a dozen versions of each. I would rather be
correcting someone who is watching me as an example than
someone who has been watching a vid of someone else doing
a different version of my kata.

I have posted vids of my basic kata that are only accessible by going
to a specific place on my site and entering a username and password.
You can set it up so they need a different password for each requirement,
or restrict their access per their username.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I run the website for my school and have asked my instructor to let me video him and do just this. His concern is kids will try to learn ahead and he wants to avoid having to correct poor habits should this happen.

I think it's an empty concern personally. There's a abundance of martial material available on the web or through retailers like Century, so anyone 'trying to get ahead' could readily find it themselves right now. It might not be the exact same flavor as within your dojo, but it's out there already.

My students stay at their kyu level for long periods of time, so it's not uncommon for them to pick up their next kata informally just from watching their seniors practice over and over again. I rather like it when they take the initiative to observe and then try to apply it themselves, and I find the amount of corrections I need to make are about the same as if I taught the student the kata myself directly.

I am not worried about my students 'skipping' ahead. They'll never get it entirely without help from a qualified instructor. You have to realize that someone with the drive to try to learn something from a video will likely be one of your better students anyway, and they'll be self-aware enough to realize they're just getting the beginnings of the technique from the video and not the meat that makes it work.

I am doing it personally so I can go back and review and make sure I do it the way I am supposed to instead of trusting the notes I have taken on our moves and forms.

I really wished the technology had been available in my early training days to record my progress. I think it would be fun and illuminating to view a video diary in that fashion.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would rather be
correcting someone who is watching me as an example than
someone who has been watching a vid of someone else doing
a different version of my kata.

Ray, would you mind sharing what kind of camera you use? Also what video-editing software do you use? I run Windows and Linux at home, so I would prefer not having to buy a Mac for this. All my friends who are into this type of activity are Mac people.

J Ellis

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've done a limited amount of this and placed it on a controlled access site. I intend to do more in the future. It gives the students a quick reminder of key elements, without trying to substitute for in-class instruction.

I have also considered videoing some of the more intensive, private sessions I do with students on their basics. The video could serve as a reference tool and be made available to students on DVD for a negligible cost to cover reproduction.

Joel

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've got a number of clips for my students to review their material with, mostly on the beginning material so that the students can go back and reference it. I also film our in-class seminars and provide that to the students who attend so that they retain a higher percentage of the covered material. Certainly the editing isn't going to win any awards, but it gets the point across. I have a number of students who are doing some distance training with me that we can only meet in person once a month or so, and they find the video clips useful.

I also video my private lessons with my instructor, so that I use the same tools for myself.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts about this? I'm sort of starting from square 1 so if someone could point me to a few software packages or needed camera equipment I would be grateful.

I'm just using an intermediate level JVC digital video recorder and using Windows Movie Maker to edit it. Like I said, it won't win any awards. :D

Ray B

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm just using an intermediate level JVC digital video recorder and using Windows Movie Maker to edit it. Like I said, it won't win any awards. :D

I have the same set-up. Nothing special.
It gets the job done.

Pro Athletes all use video technology to either critique their own work or to help visualize the proper movement. Can you imagine what the MA's would be like today if Matsumura had a camera? There would be no speculation on what he did. Of course, having said all that, I do believe in a relationship founded on the tradition of handing down kata. Makes for a tight relationship and good friends.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can you imagine what the MA's would be like today if Matsumura had a camera?

I thought half the fun was arguing whose version of Rohai or Chinto is better. :angel:

Latest Discussions