The Piano Project

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]The Piano Project[/FONT]
It used to be a lovely piano… an A.B. Chase Upright

I had seen a picture online of an upright piano someone remodeled into a computer desk. I knew it was a neat idea, so, I stole it, and improved upon it...

I found it on Craigslist for FREE, emailed back and forth with the owner and went out to the next town and picked it up. Before I even had it off the truck I was ripping out the hammers by the handful.
I took off the front piece first, to expose the strings and the action. The action was held on by four studs with decorative nuts, it came out really easily.
I was amazed to learn that the keys are over a foot long and not really attached to anything. Each key rests on a pair of brass pins.
I pulled out all the keys and pitched all but the first few on each end of the keyboard. The keys I kept, which will be at each end of the desktop, I glued together
Next, I started removing the piano wire, with a pair of dykes… Even the wires for the high notes made remarkably loud noises when cut, and they whipped across so fast and were so fine I didn’t notice I had been cut until I saw the blood running down my wrist.
The wires for the low notes were heavy gauge wire wrapped with copper. These, being too thick to cut with the tools I had, I wedged a claw hammer under and applied pressure until they broke. Sounded like medium caliber gunfire.
Once I had all the wires off, I started unscrewing the cast iron harp that had held the wires. The harp was held in place with two studs, 26 two and a half inch screws and 18 four inch screws. All the screws were 3/8ths in diameter.
After I got the harp free, I couldn’t move it by myself so, I moved on to removing the pedals and the shafts they operated.
My dad and I rolled the piano into the drive way an laid it on its back, with a little mule tape and the hurried removal of some wood on the sounding board, we managed to get it out. Sadly, the garage door decided to slam down into Dad’s side with no warning. It really knocked him flat. Amazingly, I managed to convince him to go to the doctor in just over an hour. He is fine, he just got hit hard...
Once the harp was out, I set the piano back upright and began cutting out and/or knocking out the sounding board.
Once I had the sounding board out, I broke out the sawzall and cut out the four large (4x6 at the top/4x4 at the bottom) support posts.
I removed the bottom front piece and cut it to make a cabinet for the computer tower. I took the decorative metal bar that had laid over the wires for the ¼ highest notes and fabricated a handle for the cabinet door. The off side (the larger side) I immobilized with cleats cut from underneath the keys.
Next, I disassembled a headboard that hadn’t been used in years and cut the top board to make a desktop. I bought a orbital sander and sanded the board down and stained it.
I mounted a power strip on each side where the tuning pegs (176 two inch long, quarter inch pegs, with superfine threads screwed into the eight inch thick Top Beam) after removing the top lid and cutting a channel for each of their power cords. Then, I remounted the top lid.
When you open the key lid completely, it flips upwards revealing what is now empty space; in this space I mounted a USB hub and a SD card reader. Both are now easily accessible and yet, out of sight. When the tower is in its cabinet, I will also mount the transceiver for my wireless mouse and keyboard. As the desktop is only about 8 inches across, I may change to a trackball.

Yes, I have been taking pictures along the way.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Atuningpeg.jpg
f
Allthemetal.jpg

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Wouldn't it just be easier to buy a computer desk, or at least learn how to play the piano :D

I look forward to seeing the finished product

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting work, Don.

If you'd have mentioned beforehand what you were going to do, I would have cautioned you to be very, very careful. Piano harps are under incredible stresses and have been known to burst themselves out of the body with enough force to go through floors and walls!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What an interesting project!

Looking forward to seeing more pics as you progress :) :)

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wouldn't it just be easier to buy a computer desk, or at least learn how to play the piano :D

I look forward to seeing the finished product
Well, sure, but, where would the fun in that be?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, "KEY"S" to success can come from anywhere...!

Great idea here to convert into a computer stations....

Enjoy every moment of your hardwork....looks like fun too.....

Can I have one KEY? ....only kidding?

Aloha,

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello, "KEY"S" to success can come from anywhere...
Great idea here to convert into a computer stations....
Enjoy every moment of your hardwork....looks like fun too.....
Can I have one KEY? ....only kidding?

Aloha,
You could, if I had kept any extras...
In the alternative, I can give you a great price on 170 odd tuning pegs, or, two pedals, or a large number of VINTAGE screws...

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Now that's innovative!

Will you take it to the level of refinishing the wood when the wiring is complete?

I can't wait to see what you will do with this.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now that's innovative!

Will you take it to the level of refinishing the wood when the wiring is complete?
Oh God no. That would be way too much like work.

I can't wait to see what you will do with this.
Me too...
Tonight a Kenpo Classmate came over and cut the "windows" for my monitors. Now, I need to clean up the holes and apply some stain.

I am going to have to lay the big mother down on its back again and reset the casters, they bear the (holy CRAP) weight well enough but, are a bit tweaked. I saw another piano on Craigslist, and, well, it might look good in the living room as an entertainment center...

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sad for me to see any musical instrument die, especially one as expressive as an acoustic piano, but I suppose it was dead already if it was free and being given away. I hope it turns out to be more useful in its second life.

Far better it go to you Don and be used for something constructive than to wind up in a landfill somewhere. Enjoy :)

P.S. What was the 'used to be a' piano's brand, if you don't mind my asking?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
P.S. What was the 'used to be a' piano's brand, if you don't mind my asking?
A.B.Chase

So, I talked to my cousin, who is a pianist, and rents a shop to a piano repair/tuner guy and he told me that the EIGHTY keys I threw away, were valuable. He said $100 EACH. Ivory, baby, Ivory...
Hell, if they were worth $10 each, I threw away $800, that is bad enough, adding a zero may make me cry...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah... and you probably don't want to know what the pegs and other parts you broke up were probably worth, too... :duh: :D

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I finished it. The REALLY hard part was getting it into my room. It is almost as if the house wasn't designed with the idea of a piano in the bedroom. I ended up taking off the lid, which over hangs by an inch on each end and standing it on its side and sliding it down the hall on the carpet. Good thing we don't have hardwood floors...
I mounted the monitor and TV using plumber's tape. I closed the back with ¼ inch plywood. My stupid Microsoft (yes, I KNOW I should know better)mouse works fine, the stupid keyboard is an inch too deep for the Keyboard lid to close. Crap, now I have to buy a keyboard...
I'm very happy with the outcome. Since it was my dumb idea, I guess that is all that matters.
Readyformonitors.jpg

FinishedProject.jpg

FinishedprojectII.jpg

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I finished it. The REALLY hard part was getting it into my room. It is almost as if the house wasn't designed with the idea of a piano in the bedroom.
How silly of them! Who wouldn't put a piano in the bedroom! :D
I ended up taking off the lid, which over hangs by an inch on each end and standing it on its side and sliding it down the hall on the carpet. Good thing we don't have hardwood floors...
I mounted the monitor and TV using plumber's tape. I closed the back with ¼ inch plywood. My stupid Microsoft (yes, I KNOW I should know better)mouse works fine, the stupid keyboard is an inch too deep for the Keyboard lid to close. Crap, now I have to buy a keyboard...
I'm very happy with the outcome. Since it was my dumb idea, I guess that is all that matters.
Readyformonitors.jpg

FinishedProject.jpg

FinishedprojectII.jpg
Nice job. Looks great!

Latest Discussions