British Armed Forces question

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was reading a bit about Great Britain and I came up with something I don't understand.

Why is it that the Royal Marines and Royal Air Force take an oath to the Crown and the Royal Navy doesn’t, it takes an oath to the Admiralty and what is the difference?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Royal Marines, the Army and the RAF do swear the same oath of allegiance though RM officers don't as they aren't enlisted before they are commissioned. The Royal Navy only exists through Royal Prerogative, they belong to the Sovereign not the country so they are loyal to her/him anyway. So anytime the Queen wants a sailor he has to obey her lol!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, the Navy is an extension of sovereign soil wherever it goes in a way unique amongst the armed services.

My understanding is the same as Tez's i.e. that the Navy was formed by Royal Perogative rather than Act of Parliament. As the Senior Service, I believe that RN personnel were officially exempted from taking an Oath by Queen Victoria (tho that may be apocraphal and I'd need to research it).

Another fascinating question is why the Navy salute is different than the other Arms? I have heard some wacky 'reasons' for this and wondered if anyone here knows?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aye, the Navy is an extension of sovereign soil wherever it goes in a way unique amongst the armed services.

My understanding is the same as Tez's i.e. that the Navy was formed by Royal Perogative rather than Act of Parliament. As the Senior Service, I believe that RN personnel were officially exempted from taking an Oath by Queen Victoria (tho that may be apocraphal and I'd need to research it).

Another fascinating question is why the Navy salute is different than the other Arms? I have heard some wacky 'reasons' for this and wondered if anyone here knows?

Oooo I've heard some stories too lol but seriously don't know. If however you aren't easily shocked you may find the answer here. If you don't you will however find stuff that will make you serious wonder about the meaning of life etc ROFLMAO. Good hunting

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/wiki2/index.php/Royal_Navy

Latest Discussions