The Offensive Sidekick

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Arlene had a tremendous lead leg. Hook and side kick she had it all. Probably the best female sport fighter of all time and a tremendous person.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
Arlene had a tremendous lead leg. Hook and side kick she had it all. Probably the best female sport fighter of all time and a tremendous person.

And fan of Tabasco Sauce. I don't know if she still is, but she would carry it with her and put it on everything she ate. Maybe that was her secret, Tabasco Sauce!

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
And fan of Tabasco Sauce. I don't know if she still is, but she would carry it with her and put it on everything she ate. Maybe that was her secret, Tabasco Sauce!
It cant be tobasco. If that were the key Id be world champion with the amount of the stuff I eat :)

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Utube Servet Tazgul from Turkey you will see a different game.

He is non stop fighting Twin Fist you should take a look!

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Am I the only one who saw "The Offensive Sidekick" and thought that would be a good name for a comic book?

Wow. Just got a bad mental image of Andrew Dice Clay in a pair of tights.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've adopted what I consider to be the "TKD" way of chambering the sidekick (knee up with my tibia horizontal and heel pointed at the target) for high side kicks and I chamber my leg "Karate" style (knee up, tibia vertical) for low side kicks. Leg blocks are an important part of my repertoire and I've trained hard to keep my knees up and retaliate quickly after blocking. The versatility of the side kick is in it's chamber. It can be easily adjusted to a roundhouse or hook kick, low mid or high or those kicks can be used as feints to create an opening. Even a snap side-kick has a good amount of thrust to it so, used similarly to the defensive side-kick, it can be used offensively to move an opponent backward and off-balance.

On a side note, I use the back kick offensively and it can be genius. ex. spin clockwise as if to do a spinning kick with your right leg, then let loose with your left one beat before it's expected, or do a second feint with your left and "hop" into a right back-kick again. Exposing your back itself is a feint as is the rotation but you need not wait for them to attack, you can persue them. The assumption is that you're more vulnerable from behind, which is true, but you certainly aren't defenseless. Consider it like a surprise move, don't think you'll get away with it too often. I don't have the most finesse so sometimes a back kick is essentially a spinning side kick anyway.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We just got through training with 4 members of the Morrocan national. The three 2012 Olympians. They are focusing on lead leg head kicking and cut kicks. The 2 female Olympians are almost exclusively lead leg kickers. My daughter fought Saana Atabrour at the Pan am open and they trained with us after. They are here for the US Open and train at our school.

The focus on TKD Training at the elite level has changed dramatically. It is very Karate like Bill Wallace would be very proud.

It was very fun to watch and my kids learned allot. We have been very lucky with training opportunities lately.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
On a side note, I use the back kick offensively and it can be genius. ex. spin clockwise as if to do a spinning kick with your right leg, then let loose with your left one beat before it's expected, or do a second feint with your left and "hop" into a right back-kick again. Exposing your back itself is a feint as is the rotation but you need not wait for them to attack, you can persue them.

You can try to do that once maybe, but against a good roundhouse kicker, you will eventually lose. Roundhouse generally beats back kick.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You can try to do that once maybe, but against a good roundhouse kicker, you will eventually lose. Roundhouse generally beats back kick.

With the EBP's the round hose is still effective but much less so. You really need to hit the hogu correctly. The game is changing dramatically the old rules don't apply. Lots of cut kicks even twist kicks which I had never heard of until today. Things that would not score before. People are changing the fighting strategy to fit the equipment. It was a very interesting day.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score

With the EBP's the round hose is still effective but much less so. You really need to hit the hogu correctly. The game is changing dramatically the old rules don't apply. Lots of cut kicks even twist kicks which I had never heard of until today. Things that would not score before. People are changing the fighting strategy to fit the equipment. It was a very interesting day.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
would you say these changes have improved the sport from a spectator's point of view, or have they had a negative effect?

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have mixed emotions because we came up under the old style which I found beautiful. The way the game was played before was much more technical and you had to know what you were looking at to really appreciate it. Today allot of head kicks/spinning kicks. What I saw yesterday was much more dynamic and spectator friendly from a lay mans point of view. It is not as technical as it used to be. Yesterday had much more action. My sons fist fight he did not score to the body he scored with 2 spin hooks (4 point) kicks and won 8-0. Three years ago it would have been the slide back round house so that has change quite bit. Head kicking was the name of the game yesterday did not see as much punching as the Jr world team trials the IR's were not as liberal with the punch points so the athletes pick that up quickly and the punches diminish rapidly.

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I only ever see other TKD practitioners use the sidekick defensively.

Does anyone else here use it offensively? I tend to step behind one of my legs and lean my body back while doing so. Gives me a sidekick moving forward that I can aim to the head or face.

Am I the minority in doing this?

You are not in the minority at all. I've been using the offensive side kick for decades. Love it.

Side Kick is My primary Kick, primarily in Offense.
I dont much like the Stepping Side Kick though. But thats personal preference.
Just Rear and Front Leg Side Kick.

Also, I suggest not leaning back. More Power.

My friend, there's a difference between leaning BACK and leaning AWAY. Leaning back is proper body mechanics and amplifies the power of the kick. Leaning away takes your power to some degree away from the target. When you lean BACK while moving forward? Your powerful kick goes at and penetrates THROUGH the target. When you lean AWAY while moving forward? Oftentimes, you will have to catch your balance [post kick ] to prevent yourself from falling or stumbling AWAY from your target.

Just my opinion and experience, anyway.