The Muay Thai Roundhouse

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thaiboxer
just do grapple sparring against multiple partners. wears you down after a few rounds of that i can tell you, amazing i never thought it would watching it.
Yeah, we call this the "shark drill". Kind of a "man in the middle" thing, right? I never thought I could get so tired...

yes ive had quite a number of bruises in floating rib/kidney area from the slapper knee (the one that goes straight back and up then comes around and strikes with inside of knee or slight point) only used when opponent is right up against you.
there isnt a hell of a lot you can do about it really, except you hope to manipulate their position so that you can fire in more slapper knees than your opponent in the clinch, or work them into a thrusting knee or knee to the head situation.
We call this the curve knee. About the best way I've found to lessen the impact of this (after some painful experimentation) is to put your nearside hip (he's kneeing your right, use your right hip) into his groin area. You still catch some of the slapper knee on the back, but you can cut the angle some so it takes some of the sting out. Then you're in prime position for a couple of your own. :cool:

I was actually really surprised to find out about all the strategy involved with the clinch. I always figured it was just a bunch of wild grabbing and swinging with some knees thrown in. There's actually a whole science behind it I'm finding. It's pretty freakin' cool. But then I guess the clinch is a whole separate thread...

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Okay, this is old, but I found some more videos of the Muay Thai roundhouse, if anyone is curious. Fighttraining.com has the video techniques back online, so here is some quality instruction from world famous Muay Thai kru, Mike Miles. Here he is demonstrating a round kick to the body, and here he is showing a leg kick. He actually explains some of the techniqe and principles involved also. If you haven't before, check out some of the other clips over at fighttraining. They have Mike Miles, Paulo Guillobel for BJJ, and my personal favorite Erik Paulson for some shoot.

By the way, I couldn't get the videos to play by just clicking on them. I had to right click, then pick save as, save them to the hard drive and play them locally in order to view them.

T

thaiboxer

thanks kuma
dunno if ive seen these befoer though. ill check them out later

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Anytime. They just put them back up and it's no use keeping it all to myself. Enjoy! :)

T

ThuNder_FoOt

I have a question. If you can't see, I'm pretty new to this site as well. What do you think about the jumping knee??

At my gym, there is this guy who always gets me with it. The way he uses it, it seems to have about the same distance as the round kick. I can usually stop him with a front kick or cross, but sometimes I can't see it and I get punished with it. Have you guys encountered this at all? Used like a distance technique?

T

thaiboxer

Originally posted by ThuNder_FoOt

I have a question. If you can't see, I'm pretty new to this site as well. What do you think about the jumping knee??

At my gym, there is this guy who always gets me with it. The way he uses it, it seems to have about the same distance as the round kick. I can usually stop him with a front kick or cross, but sometimes I can't see it and I get punished with it. Have you guys encountered this at all? Used like a distance technique?
yep i use it. im orthodow stance (is left foot/hand lead). i do a lrft jab and use the thrusting motion of the jab forward to pivot off the lead leg and launch into the flying knee to the solar plexus, it is a thrusting long/medium range knee. Its a beauty, it utilises the full body weight if performed properly.:D

T

ThuNder_FoOt

Originally posted by Thaiboxer
yep i use it. im orthodow stance (is left foot/hand lead). i do a lrft jab and use the thrusting motion of the jab forward to pivot off the lead leg and launch into the flying knee to the solar plexus, it is a thrusting long/medium range knee. Its a beauty, it utilises the full body weight if performed properly.

Nice. I seem to be better with the back leg at this technique. I like to execute the jumping knee as a follow up on a leg kick or a rear cross.

So how do you defend against this? Either I stop it in process, or I dodge. But it seems that this technique is a little hard to see. Do you have any advice?? Also, do you practice Ram Muay at your school? My kru has us do this even in practice sparring. Whenever we are practicing against a partner we must demonstrate this.:asian: :asian:

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't have a lot of experience with the flying knee, so I'm not going to say anything on that.

We do learn the Ram Muay, but not during regular classes. That's something learned by the people who are going to fight, and it is taught during the fight training sessions. Ours is actually quite long and would take a good chunk out of our sparring time. We do Wai to our partners before sparring, or pad work, or even before shadow boxing, in addition to our instructor before and after class. It's kind of funny that the wai become kind of ingrained, and a lot of us end up doing it when we see each other outside of class.

T

thaiboxer

Originally posted by ThuNder_FoOt

"Nice. I seem to be better with the back leg at this technique. I like to execute the jumping knee as a follow up on a leg kick or a rear cross."

thanks mate. Yeah i am as well really

"So how do you defend against this? Either I stop it in process, or I dodge. But it seems that this technique is a little hard to see. Do you have any advice?? Also, do you practice Ram Muay at your school? My kru has us do this even in practice sparring. Whenever we are practicing against a partner we must demonstrate this.:asian: :asian:
"

Nah bit like kumasan above, only those who fight in the ring learn the ram muay. We just do combinations and technique and spar for training. Personal fitness is upto individual, except when training for fights.
With the knee if you dont see it you wear it basically, its a bit like the jab, leg kick, same principle for more power to the kick, throw the jab while leaping forward into it and land and rotate on the lead leg and throw hips right into it. If you see the knee you can deflect it as you would a teep kick i guess, (ie left knee rotate left arm around and deflect whilst stepping back a little, this would spin the attacker around somewhat) ive never actually defended against it im sorry though.

Latest Discussions