The Last Tai Kai in the USA!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The last Tai Kai in the USA was held in 2003. It was hosted by Shihan Jack Hoban and Mark Hodel at the Ocean Place Resort in New Jersey. I was searching for video clips of Renyo for the other thread and came across this short video from the 2003 Tai Kai. It was a great Tai Kai and I enjoyed it tremendously while training with Shidoshi Bart Ugucioni and Shihan Michael Asunsion. You can even see Bart looping the cord of his Shoge around my neck in the first break. Hope you enjoy the clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxdmFoRtxn8

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last Tai Kai in the USA was held in 2003.

I'm curious; the way this is written combined with the time lapse suggests that perhaps there wont be another. Is this so? If so -- why? (I have learned that Hatsumi no longer chooses to travel the world; that may be reason enough.)

Or is it just "last" as in "most recent?"

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm curious; the way this is written combined with the time lapse suggests that perhaps there wont be another. Is this so? If so -- why? (I have learned that Hatsumi no longer chooses to travel the world; that may be reason enough.)

Or is it just "last" as in "most recent?"

As I understand things, Hatsumi believes the Bujinkan has enough good people in many other countries and doesn't need to constantly travel to introduce people to good training. I assume he feels people can now come to him.

Although, I saw a rumor on a certain website suggesting that he might do one last Tai Kai, but I believe it was a rumor as my Japanese sources indicate.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As I understand things, Hatsumi believes the Bujinkan has enough good people in many other countries and doesn't need to constantly travel to introduce people to good training. I assume he feels people can now come to him.

Although, I saw a rumor on a certain website suggesting that he might do one last Tai Kai, but I believe it was a rumor as my Japanese sources indicate.

There is a chance for a potential Tai Kai in Hawaii! It is not in any working stages yet but there is a chance. These are what my sources tell me.
icon14.gif

As for Soke coming to the mainland of the USA. It has been said several times that he is not going to travel internationally anymore. Could he still come? Maybe. However, it is easier and probably better for Soke to let us go to Japan to train with him. Every week there are new people showing up in Japan to train with Soke and the Japanese Shihan. Plus there are many wonderful Shihan and Shidoshi located throughout the world.
icon10.gif

bencole

Green Belt
Reaction score

It's not just that, guys. It's that these foreign Taikai COMPLETELY drain Soke of energy. Over the years, I observed how Soke's recovery time from a foreign Taikai went from a few days to two or three WEEKS! That's how long it would take for Soke to "bounce back" to full energy following those grueling international events.

I honestly wasn't surprised when he announced that he wanted people to come to Japan instead. It's important that people understand how much Soke has given us till now, and that it is time to "give back"--by remaining loyal to his wishes (and not going behind his back), by making the effort to train in Japan (or at least with people who visit Japan) in order to stay current, and by being the "good guys" out there.

All the best,

-ben

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not just that, guys. It's that these foreign Taikai COMPLETELY drain Soke of energy. Over the years, I observed how Soke's recovery time from a foreign Taikai went from a few days to two or three WEEKS! That's how long it would take for Soke to "bounce back" to full energy following those grueling international events.

I honestly wasn't surprised when he announced that he wanted people to come to Japan instead. It's important that people understand how much Soke has given us till now, and that it is time to "give back"--by remaining loyal to his wishes (and not going behind his back), by making the effort to train in Japan (or at least with people who visit Japan) in order to stay current, and by being the "good guys" out there.

All the best,

-ben

Hey Ben,

I can easily imagine the drain on anyone who would do what Soke did. I also agree that it is our time to travel to him and enjoy the Budo that he teaches.
icon14.gif

Latest Discussions