Gyokku Ryu Sanshin No Kata!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay the Renyo thread got people to point out some of their variations of the waza that they liked. I thought it would be interesting if people pointed out some of the variations they like to do with the Sanchin No Kata.

Myself I generally like working the kata's with Ichimongi, Jumongi and Hicho no kamae and what I would call a standard fighting stance which looks just like a boxing stance. (this one I practice alot)

I enjoy practicing in the air and even more with a live partner. I like to have my partners throw the lunge punch and also the cross or a big looping hook to have the oportunity to work against different types of strikes.

The best video on this that I have seen is the Kobodu no Kihon video and the Sanchin No Kata Go Gyo No Kata in spanish has a lot of variations to see.

How do you practice Sanchin No Kata?

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I try to practice Sanshin in a very unrealistic manner. That is to say I don't do it much from combat ready positions. I try to use sanshin as a way of building up habits and concentrating on things like getting full use of my knees.

I try to keep the habits while doing combat type drills. But I think that from time to time you need to strip away everything else from the movement and just concentrate on things like balance, transference or weight and things like that in isolation.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I try to practice Sanshin in a very unrealistic manner. That is to say I don't do it much from combat ready positions. I try to use sanshin as a way of building up habits and concentrating on things like getting full use of my knees.

I try to keep the habits while doing combat type drills. But I think that from time to time you need to strip away everything else from the movement and just concentrate on things like balance, transference or weight and things like that in isolation.

Hey Don,

Nice post. I like practicing the body angling and transferance of weight. That is a very enjoyable part of the Sanchin for me! :)

Brian R. VanCise

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
How do you practice Sanchin No Kata?

Brian R. VanCise

I have really been delving into San Shin this year, I feel there is SO MUCH in there and it is often overlooked.

I look at the San Shin as the way to move the body through a bunch of dynamic situations and the Kihon Happo as what to do when you get there......of course there really is no blatent seperation, that is the jist.

I practice as Don mentioned and in doing so I use full stepping, half stepping and circular stepping and then combine the various stepping.

By half stepping I mean that instead of covering the full distance with one big step, I take a shorter step, depending on the distance of the uke (or imaginary uke) then, to get my hips to travel the same distance for power I step backward so in the end the kamae is the same as if I took a full step. there are a lot of varyations on this half stepping and using strikes and i am sure most people are familiar with it if only in different terms. But anyway, thats how I look at San Shin, a way to plat with distance, timing, balance and skelatal alignment for power.

Markk Bush
www.bujinmag.com

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry folks for my pathetic spelling. Sanshin is definately the correct spelling. That's what happens when you do not proof read.

Thanks Kizaru for pointing out what Sanchin means in your email.
icon10.gif

If one thing I can do right it is butcher a language! (any language :))

Do not get any of my friends started on my Japanese linguistic skills especially on a night in Roppongi. :rofl: (I will never hear the end of it)

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetrainng.com

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tengu6 said:
I have really been delving into San Shin this year, I feel there is SO MUCH in there and it is often overlooked.

I look at the San Shin as the way to move the body through a bunch of dynamic situations and the Kihon Happo as what to do when you get there......of course there really is no blatent seperation, that is the jist.

I practice as Don mentioned and in doing so I use full stepping, half stepping and circular stepping and then combine the various stepping.

By half stepping I mean that instead of covering the full distance with one big step, I take a shorter step, depending on the distance of the uke (or imaginary uke) then, to get my hips to travel the same distance for power I step backward so in the end the kamae is the same as if I took a full step. there are a lot of varyations on this half stepping and using strikes and i am sure most people are familiar with it if only in different terms. But anyway, thats how I look at San Shin, a way to plat with distance, timing, balance and skelatal alignment for power.

Markk Bush
www.bujinmag.com

Nice Markk,

That is a really cool way to explain what you do!

Brian R. VanCise

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Sorry folks for my pathetic spelling. Sanshin is definately the correct spelling. That's what happens when you do not proof read.
I edited the thread title.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now I have seen alot of variations of the of Shanshin no Kata.

Of the 5 kata of Go Gyo No Kata

Sui no waza
Hi no waza
Chi no waza
Fu no waza
Ku no waza

What is the variation that you have observed that surprised you the most? I am getting to the point of not being surprised anymore by the multitude of variations of individual Shidoshi/Shihan (maybe that is the point :))

Brian R. VanCise

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am new to the art so sorry for reopening an old thread. I have found great joy in collection tapes and clips of dozens of differnt folks doing thier methods of Sanshin and each seem to see different things. I try and "feel" the element and move with that feeling. That way the "feel" is in the muscle memory so when doing other moves i can call on that "feeling" to add to that response. Just my $.02

Latest Discussions