Gekkan waza of Shinden Fudo Ryu

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wonder if the guy that posted that video checked with Hatsumi beforehand.

But Gekkan is a kata that I like. And I have been working on it often this year. And there is so many different ways of doing things from it. The end of one official kata variation almost links straight up with the next or another variation from another technique.

There is very little I think that can be conveyed by words and the internet to improve one's taijutsu I feel. And in this case, the one thing I think that can help others is to remember the lesson of Hicho no kamae no kata and set your foot down where you want it and where it can help rather than drop it anywhere it may land and try to work from there. I have seen people kick, drop their leg straight down and then try to take a step with it to power the take- down.

So if you have never been shown Gekkan, and want to prepare yourself for it, do Hicho while keeping that in mind. This advice might not help much, but it is the most help I think I can give considering the limitations we have.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I wonder if the guy that posted that video checked with Hatsumi beforehand.

But Gekkan is a kata that I like. And I have been working on it often this year. And there is so many different ways of doing things from it. The end of one official kata variation almost links straight up with the next or another variation from another technique.

There is very little I think that can be conveyed by words and the internet to improve one's taijutsu I feel. And in this case, the one thing I think that can help others is to remember the lesson of Hicho no kamae no kata and set your foot down where you want it and where it can help rather than drop it anywhere it may land and try to work from there. I have seen people kick, drop their leg straight down and then try to take a step with it to power the take- down.

So if you have never been shown Gekkan, and want to prepare yourself for it, do Hicho while keeping that in mind. This advice might not help much, but it is the most help I think I can give considering the limitations we have.

Hey Don,

That is actually a big help. I learned Gekkan out on Otto Cardews old farm down around Ann Arbor in 1992. One of the initial problems that I had is exactly what you describe. Fortunately Otto was there and corrected that and I have been able to continue practice of this kata since then.

Unfortunately on the internet we do have limitations. That is really the downside and makes it challenging to convey how a technique works.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another element that works well for me is breaking their balance with the kick and then letting the foot go back to where I want it. (just like what Don said)

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a waza that I like it is a very practical no-nonsence technique that is efficient and effective.
What do you like about this waza and how do you play with the various henka off of it?

This waza I have done quite a few times and I am still working on getting it consistently right. The one thing that I had such a problem with is getting the uke so that they were actually falling into the hole that is created there. I had and still have occasionally, problems lining up uke's spine with their third points relative to their heels, to me that seems to be the point they are falling into the hole, rather than being pulled. If their spine of off to either side slightly it changes the feeling of it considerably because they can resist it and I have to force them over their strong points.

After reading Don's post I made a connection to what I was realizing, it is very important where you put your feet with that. Also, for me it is a rather strange feeling because I am offset from the uke's shoulders and hips but at the same time I have to get them aligned properly and it is a very different feel than being directly in front of them.

Another realization I had is drawing (with light friction) them off balance by slightly over extending their punch, which seems to put their shoulder right into your other hand versus having to "reach" for it.

Henka from this, I am not sure, I would have to feel the attack. Seems like one could move in such a way following the kick to drive onto the top of their head and locking the arm, but not sure. It would be interesting to play with.

This one is very difficult to articulate with words so, pardon if I sound strange with my description.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Dave,

Nice post! Definately it is a waza that takes some work. However, I find that when I plant my foot like I would really be kicking into the uke and then bring my foot back to where I want it that it invariably works like a charm.
icon11.gif

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Definately it is a waza that takes some work.

Definitely! Ironically, it looks so easy but it isn't. About the foot, for me it seems to work if I put my knee/foot down at or inline with their 3rd point (if it can be described that way). For me it feels like I am ever so slightly stepping to the side as I place my foot back down following the kick. Not much side step is needed for me, just a little. I have a feeling I will get plenty of opportunity to get corrected (if needed) at the Buyu camp and in November when Jack comes back to Florida. Earlier this year he was here and I got to feel it as uke from him... alot! :D We have been playing with it ever since, along with a couple of other waza from Shinden Fudo Ryu.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey that sounds like it is going to be a great camp. Take advantage of all that quality training when it comes your way.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is another fun one. I've also seen it where you don't bring the kicking leg back quite so far, and drop to the left knee (behind you), so uke's collar bone comes down on your right knee. I believe that style of takedown/break is specific to SFR.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is another fun one. I've also seen it where you don't bring the kicking leg back quite so far, and drop to the left knee (behind you), so uke's collar bone comes down on your right knee. I believe that style of takedown/break is specific to SFR.

That is sweet! :cool: I haven't seen it, but I can certainly visualize how it is done. To me it feels as if the uke is falling into me or aainst me (if I were to stay and not open up a hole), I could actually hold them up if I wanted to. With that in mind, I can see where that could happen.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Hey Kreth,

I do not know if I have seen this henka but I can visualize it and like it right away!
icon6.gif

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course, it all comes down to being able to use the foot after kicking instead of just dropping it like most do.

Another example, if you kick and the guy (for whatever reason) is not bent over pretty much so his face is toward the ground- are you able to direct your feet so that you step behind the lead leg and toss him back over your it?

Tons of applications from simple principles.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is a nice instructional clip from a seminar featuring Sean Askew that
he posted on google videos. Enjoy : http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3558596224514816372&hl=en

Thanks for the video. We did gekkan at the Buyu Camp East (yet again). It was fun. I think the thing that I seem to get from it is that the shoulder of the uke gets put into his third point that is in front of him. This is the way I have seen it demonstrated by most everyone. This is as opposed to bringing uke along his strong line as demonstrated in the video. Just my opinion.

I wasn't going to say anything out of respect for Sean's knowledge, but I don't get the feel I think I should get with that particular video.

Latest Discussions