The Last Dragon

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The movie The Last Dragon that came out in 1995 and that stars Taimak I thought was a good movie. Although its a pretend movie it does make some real points. Obviously the part where the protagonist starts glowing and sends off sparks with his strikes and catches a bullet in his teeth is pretend but the concept that you eventually become your own master in your journey in the martial arts is a real concept.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The movie The Last Dragon that came out in 1995 and that stars Taimak I thought was a good movie. Although its a pretend movie it does make some real points. Obviously the part where the protagonist starts glowing and sends off sparks with his strikes and catches a bullet in his teeth is pretend but the concept that you eventually become your own master in your journey in the martial arts is a real concept.

You should see the real movie version from the 1980's! It's way better than the pretend one;)

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You should see the real movie version from the 1980's! It's way better than the pretend one;)
That's what I meant. I meant to say 1985 instead of 1995 as to when the movie came out.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon.....

.... Vanity! Smoking hot back then.

Sho-Nuff! Sho-Gun of Harlem!

Quote" "I've mastered the art of fighting, without knowing how to fight!"

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Am I the meanest?
Sho'nuff!
Am I the prettiest?
Sho'nuff!
Am I the baddest mofo low down around this town?
Sho'nuff!
Well who am I?
Sho'nuff!
Who am I?
Sho'nuff!
I can't hear you...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The story in the film is pretend although it does have some real concepts and principles.
Please pick a word to use other than Pretend. The movie is REAL. The acting is PRETEND. Actors pretend to be someone they aren't in real life. They pretend to be in a situation that they aren't in. So the actor is pretending to be a character who is name Bruce Leroy. The use of the word pretend is not the word that you want to use. The word that you want to use is probably FICTION.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Please pick a word to use other than Pretend. The movie is REAL. The acting is PRETEND. Actors pretend to be someone they aren't in real life. They pretend to be in a situation that they aren't in. So the actor is pretending to be a character who is name Bruce Leroy. The use of the word pretend is not the word that you want to use. The word that you want to use is probably FICTION.
Alright, its a real movie but the characters aren't real. The actors are real but the characters that they play aren't. And the main character's name is Leroy Green Jr not Bruce Leroy. Bruce Leroy is just a moniker that his little brother used for him. And I wouldn't call the movie fiction I would say its more around the realm of fantasy since the main character becomes a superhero at the end.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Alright, its a real movie but the characters aren't real. The actors are real but the characters that they play aren't. And the main character's name is Leroy Green Jr not Bruce Leroy. Bruce Leroy is just a moniker that his little brother used for him. And I wouldn't call the movie fiction I would say its more around the realm of fantasy since the main character becomes a superhero at the end.
That's better. Just trying to help you out with how people are responding. By the way, you are correct about the movie being something worth seeing.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So to all Last Dragon fans, did you know they were working on a sequel that would've been released in 1986? The sequel never happened and to me it doesn't look like the kind of movie that would use a sequel. A sequel would've been fun but perhaps its better to just have the one movie.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
And I wouldn't call the movie fiction I would say its more around the realm of fantasy since the main character becomes a superhero at the end.

Fantasy is fiction.

Fiction doesn't have to be fantasy.

A fantasy film is by definition fiction because it's not factual.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So to all Last Dragon fans, did you know they were working on a sequel that would've been released in 1986? The sequel never happened and to me it doesn't look like the kind of movie that would use a sequel. A sequel would've been fun but perhaps its better to just have the one movie.
I’m a big fan of the movie. I’ve read about what the sequel would’ve been, and it seemed very, very stupid. From what I read, I’m glad no one ever gave it the approval.

If my memory serves me right, it was actually a prequel. Something about how Sho ‘Nuff got the glow and where the glow came from. Or was it about him training to get it back? I’m not 100% certain, but the way it was described sounded like absolute crap. There could’ve been more ideas, but that’s what I read.

Just because a writer comes up with a great story line doesn’t mean they’ve got more. Case in point: Charle and the Chocolate Factory. The author was upset they didn’t make the sequel - the sequel was allegedly set it outer space.

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I am laughing historically at how this thread has turned into analysis of the movie and characters being real vs. pretend. Thank you for a great start to my day.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am laughing historically at how this thread has turned into analysis of the movie and characters being real vs. pretend. Thank you for a great start to my day.
Well I am done talking about the characters being real vs pretend. We can move on.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’m a big fan of the movie. I’ve read about what the sequel would’ve been, and it seemed very, very stupid. From what I read, I’m glad no one ever gave it the approval.

If my memory serves me right, it was actually a prequel. Something about how Sho ‘Nuff got the glow and where the glow came from. Or was it about him training to get it back? I’m not 100% certain, but the way it was described sounded like absolute crap. There could’ve been more ideas, but that’s what I read.
This was what was apparently planned for a sequel.
The Last Dragon 2: The Glow – The Sequel that never happened

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just because a writer comes up with a great story line doesn’t mean they’ve got more. Case in point: Charle and the Chocolate Factory. The author was upset they didn’t make the sequel - the sequel was allegedly set it outer space.
Well if they were to make a sequel, which Im glad they didn't, it probably would've been based on the book "The Great Glass Elevator" part of which does take place in space, and was written as a sequel. As phenomenal of a writer as Roald Dahl was, in my opinion he bombed with the sequel.

Latest Discussions