The inspiration thread: The Self-Isolation training of Sosai Mas Oyama

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thought it'd be nice to have a thread dedicated to sharing our own training we've had to do at home, and celebrate each others' little wins. Can be anything we've been working on at all, doesn't have to be the entire session. Even if you were proud that you managed 20 or 50 bodyweight squats.

As well as serve to inspire ourselves and others.

The other day my knee was not quite right but I had an itching to train, so I did a knee friendly session. Stoked with that, and that I could figure out on the spot how to navigate it and draw on my own resources and knowledge. (Even did a bunch of extended figure 8s to the front and side with the injured side, really worked the leg hard!)

Any bickering and arguing will be called out!

A recent article on Sosai Oyama and his dedication and pursuit of intense self-isolated training. Osu!

The Self-Isolation Training of Sosai Mas Oyama | The Martial Way

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
c00fe7ea4df167b41c3f1e3a7293c754.jpg

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
While stuck at home I'm thinking of even doing my own little solo "day seminar". Back in my old Kyokushin branch we'd have day seminars every few months, training from 10am to about 4/4:30pm. I miss those, would be a good challenge for myself, split up the sessions into different things to work on. No kumite section unfortunately, but plenty of drills I've written down.

And camps. MAN I miss the camps... and if only there was a mountain nearby...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thought it'd be nice to have a thread dedicated to sharing our own training we've had to do at home, and celebrate each others' little wins. Can be anything we've been working on at all, doesn't have to be the entire session. Even if you were proud that you managed 20 or 50 bodyweight squats.

As well as serve to inspire ourselves and others.

The other day my knee was not quite right but I had an itching to train, so I did a knee friendly session. Stoked with that, and that I could figure out on the spot how to navigate it and draw on my own resources and knowledge. (Even did a bunch of extended figure 8s to the front and side with the injured side, really worked the leg hard!)

Any bickering and arguing will be called out!

A recent article on Sosai Oyama and his dedication and pursuit of intense self-isolated training. Osu!

The Self-Isolation Training of Sosai Mas Oyama | The Martial Way
well im not self isolating im isolating as he government have shut down all the places i like to spend time, but it amounts to the same thing i suppose.

if split my day up into units of 15 mins and then dedicate a number of those to various activities

i can see no point in trying to practise ma, alone and in a small place, it has all the difficulties and drawbacks that people used to point out a great length to rat. i can neither develop or maintain fighting skills in such an environment, so why waste precious time on them ?

there are however lots of other things i can work on,

so two units of time, 30 mins of fitness a day press ups dips pull ups and burpies, plus ive dug my keele bells out

plus 16 units walking/ jogging ( mostly walking)

4 units of time to learning playing an instrument, ive bought a banjo and im currently teaching myself by ear to play two folk songs

4 units of time to improving my chess abilities

4 units to reading classic literature ive always meant to read but never got round to it

8 units to listen to music, im exploring different styles to my usual listening list, this also over laps some what with other activities, but two hours especially dedicated to music

and two units to house work and two to decorating

the rest i just waste on the internet/ you tube, i dont own a TV

im hoping to come out the other side a fitter, more musical and better read individual, with a much nicer flat

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It has been a most unusual year for me so far. I had 4 plates removed from my left leg 1/31. About 4-weeks later one site became infected and about 2 weeks after that I ended up in the hospital for a knee washout and an intense 5 day round of IV antibiotics.
I kept working through all of this but granted it was very hindered and limited. Of course there was zero classical exercise through this period.
I am home now and mostly picked right up where I left off as far as work and projects are concerned (I re-installed a commode the day I got home). We have two medium sized redirect projects going on now to help produce PPE. My part of these projects I have to do from home because I am still tethered to an IV.

As far as classic exercise I still have not done any or even tried. My left leg still has a good bit of trauma pain. In between working on the PPE project yesterday, I was outside as much as possible. Beautiful weather in TN right now and SO good to see the sun. Really helps the emotional spirit. I mowed the yard, aerated and picked up 5 wheel barrels of fallen limbs. I picked up about a ton of lime/fertilizer/seed at our local CO-OP that I plan to spread today.
So right now I am happy to get my essentials done. When the PPE project is over, the leg eases up and my gate and motion get better I will start back on my usual morning stretching and exercise routing.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
well im not self isolating im isolating as he government have shut down all the places i like to spend time, but it amounts to the same thing i suppose.

if split my day up into units of 15 mins and then dedicate a number of those to various activities

i can see no point in trying to practise ma, alone and in a small place, it has all the difficulties and drawbacks that people used to point out a great length to rat. i can neither develop or maintain fighting skills in such an environment, so why waste precious time on them ?

there are however lots of other things i can work on,

so two units of time, 30 mins of fitness a day press ups dips pull ups and burpies, plus ive dug my keele bells out

plus 16 units walking/ jogging ( mostly walking)

4 units of time to learning playing an instrument, ive bought a banjo and im currently teaching myself by ear to play two folk songs

4 units of time to improving my chess abilities

4 units to reading classic literature ive always meant to read but never got round to it

8 units to listen to music, im exploring different styles to my usual listening list, this also over laps some what with other activities, but two hours especially dedicated to music

and two units to house work and two to decorating

the rest i just waste on the internet/ you tube, i dont own a TV

im hoping to come out the other side a fitter, more musical and better read individual, with a much nicer flat
That's awesome. Fair enough about MA stuff I get where you're coming from. I feel things can still be developed and honed in on, but learning new things on your own of course can be a tricky task. I still plan to get stuck into getting creative with what I know, and breaking things down a bit. Will mix up solid technique work, footwork drills, to even just all out smashing a bag and a hard work session.

Sounds like a really cool plan! I'm gonna get stuck into more piano stuff for sure

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
It has been a most unusual year for me so far. I had 4 plates removed from my left leg 1/31. About 4-weeks later one site became infected and about 2 weeks after that I ended up in the hospital for a knee washout and an intense 5 day round of IV antibiotics.
I kept working through all of this but granted it was very hindered and limited. Of course there was zero classical exercise through this period.
I am home now and mostly picked right up where I left off as far as work and projects are concerned (I re-installed a commode the day I got home). We have two medium sized redirect projects going on now to help produce PPE. My part of these projects I have to do from home because I am still tethered to an IV.

As far as classic exercise I still have not done any or even tried. My left leg still has a good bit of trauma pain. In between working on the PPE project yesterday, I was outside as much as possible. Beautiful weather in TN right now and SO good to see the sun. Really helps the emotional spirit. I mowed the yard, aerated and picked up 5 wheel barrels of fallen limbs. I picked up about a ton of lime/fertilizer/seed at our local CO-OP that I plan to spread today.
So right now I am happy to get my essentials done. When the PPE project is over, the leg eases up and my gate and motion get better I will start back on my usual morning stretching and exercise routing.

I'd say that's a massive win, got heaps done!

Yeah bit by bit and you'll be back on your feet (no pun intended!). Just look after yourself! Even if it's just upper body stuff until your foot heals up.

And yes, nothing like getting out in the sun :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We are in voluntary quarantine for two weeks as my sister-in-law flew in from London and is staying with us, so we aren’t going out for anything right now. Everybody is fine so far, no signs of illness and no reason to believed she was exposed on her trip back. But we feel we owe it to everyone to be cautious.

So we are doing our best to stay busy with projects and such and in line with that, I am leading everyone (my wife, her sister, and our 6 year old son) in some strength training and White Crane kung fu training. Everyone is trying to stay active and healthy, and the training is going well so far.

Kyokushin_1054

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Very good point! It truly is inspiring what Sosai Mas Oyama did. People need that kind of strength and will power now. I will definitely try and inspire some of my clients and follower on YouTube channel etc... to use him as an inspiration. I have been having the hardest time trying to motivate people but would like to make it my mission during this time.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very good point! It truly is inspiring what Sosai Mas Oyama did. People need that kind of strength and will power now. I will definitely try and inspire some of my clients and follower on YouTube channel etc... to use him as an inspiration. I have been having the hardest time trying to motivate people but would like to make it my mission during this time.

I do admire the way you are doing your advertising on MT, it's very subtle but in every post on every section you are telling us about your YouTube channel, saves advertising fees lol. :D:D

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
We are in voluntary quarantine for two weeks as my sister-in-law flew in from London and is staying with us, so we aren’t going out for anything right now. Everybody is fine so far, no signs of illness and no reason to believed she was exposed on her trip back. But we feel we owe it to everyone to be cautious.

So we are doing our best to stay busy with projects and such and in line with that, I am leading everyone (my wife, her sister, and our 6 year old son) in some strength training and White Crane kung fu training. Everyone is trying to stay active and healthy, and the training is going well so far.

That's awesome, really great idea! And glad to hear everyone's well, and that's the idea hey, to first stay safe, and secondly to make the most it :)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Osu sempai, great to have ya here, I remember your posted a little while ago. Yeah Sosai's dedication was unreal... so much to glean from that.

I find that it's a little tricky to purposely try to motivate people, but moreso to simply be yourself and let that show. In other words, to be genuine and go after what you're driven to with a relentless fire, and people can't help but be drawn to that. It's like you give other people's light permission to shine by allowing yours to. And that energy and intention sets up a field of influence that way. Follow where your heart is drawn and don't hide it, without trying to convince other people they should do it.

Just food for thought!

Love your channel too by the way ;)

Kyokushin_1054

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OSU! The more I think about it, I completely agree with you there! Genuine passion speaks much louder than any words can. I really aspire to be that person. It's a long journey!! :)

Thank you so much by the way. I try my best.

I hope to see you around on the forum!

Kyokushin_1054

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
By the way... Anyone else have the original "What is Karate" and "This is Karate" books from Sosai Mas Oyama? I am fortunate enough to own both and would gladly share some of the really cool stuff in there!

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
By the way... Anyone else have the original "What is Karate" and "This is Karate" books from Sosai Mas Oyama? I am fortunate enough to own both and would gladly share some of the really cool stuff in there!
Ahhh that's been a never ending quest to find those books, at a decent price that is haha, you're very fortunate to have them! Would love to see some material from it :)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
... when the zombie apocalypse comes... I will be ready..... (keep up the training all!)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jake's workout for today.

2x2 pushups
2x2 frog jumps
2x2 sumo squats
2x2 standing rows
2x2 rollups
Squat walk {backwards and forward 10 feet)

30 second rest

2x2 right cross crunches
2x2 left cross crunches
2x2 sprinter sit-ups

Shuffle Shuttle 10 yards between cones...down and back 5 times.

30 second rest then repeat....

4-6 rounds....2x2 refers to starting at 2 reps and increasing 2 reps each round.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

2x2 pushups
2x2 frog jumps
2x2 sumo squats
2x2 standing rows
2x2 rollups

30 second rest

2x2 right cross crunches
2x2 left cross crunches
2x2 sprinter sit-ups

4-6 rounds....2x2 refers to starting at 2 reps and increasing 2 reps each round.

OK he talked me into doing it with him....then he explained it.....

Its 6 minutes to do as many rounds as possible of the first half including squat walk increasing 2 reps each round thru.

And then 6 minutes to do as many rounds as possible of the ab workout increasing 2 reps each round plus shuttle shuffle.

Then I found out he does the whole thing twice.....

He about killed his mom and me.

He got thru 12 reps both times thru....me and his mom got thru 6 reps both times.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice thread Simon. I’m working from home so that is a change for me. Not having space to practice kata is my biggest challenge at the moment. I set up my old bag and have brought out my old gear so I can lift as well as run at home. I do miss the space of the dojo and the routine of teaching. Miss a lot of the people as well but it is what it is.

One side benefit of the quarantining is that I can now do something everyday as opposed to my time being split with other responsibilities.

Nice videos on the conditioning and combinations. Keep it up but as you know you need to build up over time if you want to condition those areas properly.

Kyokushin 1054 the best way to inspire and motivate people is to lead by example as you no doubt already know. Videos are a good way to show people what you can do but training with them is best way for them to see what you can really do. Nice to see another Kyokushin practitioner here, Osu.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

2x2 pushups
2x2 frog jumps
2x2 sumo squats
2x2 standing rows
2x2 rollups

30 second rest

2x2 right cross crunches
2x2 left cross crunches
2x2 sprinter sit-ups

OK he talked me into doing it with him....then he explained it.....

Its 6 minutes to do as many rounds as possible of the first half including squat walk increasing 2 reps each round thru.

And then 6 minutes to do as many rounds as possible of the ab workout increasing 2 reps each round plus shuttle shuffle.

Then I found out he does the whole thing twice.....

He about killed his mom and me.

He got thru 12 reps both times thru....me and his mom got thru 6 reps both times.
Ah great stuff! Love it! He's a fit dude! Good on ya for giving it a crack, I'd struggle with that too at the moment haha.

Yeah I'd like to do more circuits like that, has given me ideas. I love mixing up specific technique work in there as well, with more of a fitness focus.

One short one that I did moreso as a warmup was:
Run down the hall, 10x squats
Run, 10x knuckle pushups
Run, 15x star jumps
Run, 10x full lunges down the hall with gyaku tsuki (reverse punch).

Rest 30s, did about 3 rounds or so total, but can increase reps or rounds to make it more of a full session. Mixed it up a few times, doing squat front kicks, or upward dog to downward dog to opposite arm leg extensions etc. Avoiding excess core work at the moment but that can obviously be added. Fun!

Latest Discussions