The importance of intent?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes but you carried on using it, what did you think it meant when you wrote it

That the street fight was somehow more of an arduous experience. Because in sport every one is having fun or something.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is close to what I am talking about - the zone. Very few people can get into the zone, but intent to me is about what your focus is during your period in said zone. When you're in the zone, you don't think or feel, you simply perceive. I have yet to reach a level where I can stay in it for more than a few secondss, for me it has always been during spontaneous moments in sparring or kata practice where everything seemed to brighten and slow down. Intent to me is about what you focus on in the moment - you're in the zone and you can't think or feel, but your spirit is completely concentrated on the task before you.
I came across this post again and thought tis was worth mentioning.
We all know martial arts is a Lot about repetition.
When a person gets really proficient in something like forms they will often perform, get to the end of a performance and think they left some moves out only to find they did not. This is a form of the ‘zone’ you mention. The same thing occurs in competition and SD when a person reaches a certain level of proficiency.

Latest Discussions