The guillotine guy

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
This guy went through a lot of trouble to kill himself, but at least he did it right by going out in the woods. Not exactly cutting edge technology (pun intended), but it certainly worked.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/14099445/detail.html

I didn't think people from Michigan had this kind of enthusiasm.... :D

*runs back into Ohio*

Kidding!!

All jokes aside, this does have an awfully peculiar feel to it. Why would you build a guillotine to off yourself? Dramatic appeal? Giving yourself time to talk yourself out of it? I've heard/read about the 2 different kinds of people who kill themselves (based on the capability of rescue), but this one kind of rides the fence IMO.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Guys! Please!! All the responses are very funny but still ... well ... not to be overly somber or anything but the poor fellow did kill himself.

Of course, if it's a fictional event then the jokes on me (not followed the link yet, just overcome by knee-jerk, bleeding-heart-liberal, finger-keyboard-interface action :eek:).

That'll be my black humor engaging as a safety valve given my current situation, sorry.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not to worry, my friend - I just tend to get overly sensitive when I'm tired I guess :blush:.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe he was upset that he wasn't the head of a major corporation. He shouldn't get ahead of himself like that.

Seriously this took a lot of thought, however reading the article it said something of a "Swing arm"???

Allen Park Deputy Police Chief Dale Covert said the roughly six-foot tall guillotine was bolted to a tree and included a swing arm. Covert said police also found several store receipts detailing the materials used to assemble the device.

Guillotines go straight down on a track severing the head this way however if it was a swing type then the guy must've been reading Poe and gotten the idea from "Pit and the Pendulum" which is a blade that swings back and forth getting lower and lower, sort of psychological torture along with the physical until death.
Maybe I'm thinking it's a swing arm to pull the lever which dropped the blade.
Hmm, wonder what the blade was made from? Love to see the crime scene photos of the device. It'd be really interesting.

Latest Discussions