The Four Main SPM Systems

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is Jook Lum, Chow Gar, Chu Gar, and Iron Ox. I train Jook Lum. Anyone know what the differences between the SPM styles are? Are they radically different? Small nuanced differences? Are there specific characteristics that make you say when you see it, that's Jook Lum, or that's Chu Gar? My guess is that they all originated from one source so the differences must be noticeable to only the most trained eye, no?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You forgot the "Pummel opponent" or was it “beat opponent into the fetal position” that I experienced. :uhyeah:

Obviously I can't add anything of use to this discussion so I will simply shut up and return to my corner.

Sorry for the interruption :asian:

DungHo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Jade Tigress,

I use to have some little training in Chow Gar Mantis. I notice that the movement is different than Jook Lum. The Jook Lum movement is smooth, somehow my movement or at least I thought of it is more like a shock. by the way where you from. Im from Buffalo, NY. If you're around here maybe we can get to know each other and work out sometime

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Jade Tigress,

I use to have some little training in Chow Gar Mantis. I notice that the movement is different than Jook Lum. The Jook Lum movement is smooth, somehow my movement or at least I thought of it is more like a shock. by the way where you from. Im from Buffalo, NY. If you're around here maybe we can get to know each other and work out sometime

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. :asian: I'm in the Chicago area.

DungHo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
oh, ic, im from Buffalo, NY. here the clip of the first form of Chow Gar

this is the form im on.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
oh, ic, im from Buffalo, NY. here the clip of the first form of Chow Gar

this is the form im on.

We have a Sam Bo Gin form as well, but I have not learned it yet. How long have you been training Chow Gar? I've been training Jook Lum a little over a year.

Last edited by a moderator:

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I trained Chow Gar lineage in Australia. I remember doing a bit of studies on the different styles of SPM. And there are differences between them- I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly what though. I did have a good writeup, some Chinese university student wrote it, I'll see if I still have it lying around somewhere? I doubt it though...

I do remember that there were some variances to the forms taught across the different styles, however Sam Bo Gin was the one form that all 4 systems taught.

DungHo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We have a Sam Bo Gin form as well, but I have not learned it yet. How long have you been training Chow Gar? I've been training Jook Lum a little over a year.

hm... Sam bo gin is the first form that I learned. Probably for different SPM systems learn it at different stage. Anyhow, the guy that I train with and had taught me is not available now. He is busy with his work. Right now I am taking Wing Chun and working on the "little idea form". I find similar movements between the systems.
Oh yeah, do you know the SPM school of Wilbur Rimes in Chicago. I plan to visit there when I have the chance

DungHo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I trained Chow Gar lineage in Australia. I remember doing a bit of studies on the different styles of SPM. And there are differences between them- I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly what though. I did have a good writeup, some Chinese university student wrote it, I'll see if I still have it lying around somewhere? I doubt it though...

I do remember that there were some variances to the forms taught across the different styles, however Sam Bo Gin was the one form that all 4 systems taught.

I didn't know, thanks for sharing. If you can find the writing please post it. I'm interest to read about it.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
http://cclib.nsu.ru/projects/satbi/satbi-e/martart/wushu/sm.html

This is the good read I was speaking about, for anybody interested in SPM. I remember reading this document when I was studying Chow Gar, and found it fascinating. I dug up the link- enjoy. It is a large document, and may take a while to load. But it will be well worth your wait!!!

If you read right down the page, you will see that Sam Bo Gin is the 'main' form in all the branches of SPM. We learnt it as our first form as well. I think it gets described in this document as "it's the first thing you learn; but the appreciation of it only occurs with time".

Enjoy
Adam

:)

DungHo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
thanks again for the article, I love praying mantis. However, my schedule is to busy to to train. No master in my area(Buffalo, NY). Right now im taking Wing Chun. I hope one day I will get a chance to finish my Chow Gar training

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No worries mate. Hope you enjoyed the read!!!

I miss SPM sometimes. I was actually doing some bag work the other day with a training partner. And I busted out some SPM. Showed him a little bit. Felt good :)