The Falling Man (9-11, 71.26 minutes)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This a documentary film about 9-11, highlighting specifically those who were trapped in the Trade Center, and who choose to jump off. The entire video is on youtube, and it is worth watching, although it is very difficult to watch. I didn't know where else to put this, but the film and photo of "the falling man" is meant to be a memorial to those who passed on from the tragedy. Anyway, it resonated with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With all due respect,

I am going to move this thread to the study as I feel although the documentary is a memorial to that day, it will touch many of the members here and they will wish to discuss and share their feelings about the documentary and that day. The Hall of Remembrance is not for that purpose.

Lisa Deneka
MT Assist. Admin.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cool, thanks. I wasn't sure where to put it, as I just hope that it doesn't turn into "debate time" while being in here, but I can understand it not being in the memorial section either.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Still too soon to watch. I remember hearing (first, before seeing) three women falling who had evidently jumped together for comfort, as they were coming down together hand in hand, arm in arm. They were screaming, and for some reason you could hear them clearly from in front of 5WTC, which was where I was standing. Their dresses had blown up over their heads, so they couldn't even see each other.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have tried to watch it a couple of times and haven't been able to. I think I need to be alone. I need to allow my emotions to flow.

I wasn't in New York, nor did I have any loved ones perish on 9/11. What I do remember, however, is watching TV and listening to the radio for weeks afterwards with tears streaming down my face and my heart broken for all of those who died and for those who were left behind. The pictures and videos of desperate loved ones, searching and hoping that their family/friend/etc. had somehow survive only to be faced with the dismal reality that they had perished.

Perhaps it was the fact that I had a loved one in the hospital clinging for life at the time that made this even in history burn into my memories and cause such an emotional reaction in me every time I try and watch the video.

Someday, I hope to watch it. Right now, I just haven't been able to.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Still too soon to watch. I remember hearing (first, before seeing) three women falling who had evidently jumped together for comfort, as they were coming down together hand in hand, arm in arm. They were screaming, and for some reason you could hear them clearly from in front of 5WTC, which was where I was standing. Their dresses had blown up over their heads, so they couldn't even see each other.

Saying "thank you for sharing" seems so petty. I wish I could express better how much I appreciate your candor. :asian:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of my cousin died that day in the second tower and to me this film should have never been allowed. I understand it is history but for me it was and will always be a nightmare.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sometimes films like these are made by those who don't care and wish to make a statement. Sometimes they want to make a memorial so that we should never forget, though it's highly doubtful that anyone from THIS generation will. The attacks affected every one of us in one way or another.
Though it may be too soon for some to have this wound re-opened sometimes they must to affect a through cleansing. By that I mean that the pain of remembrance should be one where we will never forget those who lost and gave their lives that terrible day. Sometimes it's important to remember how someone died as well as how they lived.
Few days ago I watched a history channel film (documentary?) on a man who saved the lives of over 3000 people by calmly and effectively getting them out of the building before it collapsed while he himself stayed behind to ensure that everyone got out of their respective offices. It was called "The Man Who Predicted 9/11".
http://www.history.com/shows.do?episodeId=179852&action=detail In 2001, Rick Rescorla was the 62-year-old head of security at the Morgan Stanley Bank situated high up in the South Tower at the World Trade Center. Rescorla was convinced that Osama Bin Laden would use jet planes to try and destroy the World Trade Center. Long before September 11th, he developed an evacuation plan for the bank, hugely unpopular amongst the city whiz kids who worked there who thought he was mad. His evacuation plan however ultimately saved 3,000 of their lives. Rescorla's plan was put into effect after the first jet hit the North Tower--even though WTC managers were instructing everyone to stay in the buildings. When the second jet hit the South Tower, he averted panic and organized a rapid evacuation. Rescorla went back inside to help those injured and trapped get out. He was still inside when the building collapsed. His body was never found.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of my cousin died that day in the second tower and to me this film should have never been allowed. I understand it is history but for me it was and will always be a nightmare.
I disagree, as long as it's not done in such a way as to sensationalize the tragic deaths. Should we also ban documentaries on the Holocaust? Many lost relatives and loved ones during that period as well.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I disagree, as long as it's not done in such a way as to sensationalize the tragic deaths. Should we also ban documentaries on the Holocaust? Many lost relatives and loved ones during that period as well.

Kreth I can certainly agree with you but I'm only speaking for me and my feelings. In reality which I refuse to be in about the 9-11 day, this film is probaly well done and it could have an impact on people views.

As far as the Holocaust you are correct we did loose relatives and yes the docs. have been well recieved by alot of people, but that does not take away from the feeling we have.

I'm sure in time I will go back and view this film but at the present time it is still to close for me to enjoy without feeling anger.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes films like these are made by those who don't care and wish to make a statement. Sometimes they want to make a memorial so that we should never forget, though it's highly doubtful that anyone from THIS generation will. The attacks affected every one of us in one way or another.
Though it may be too soon for some to have this wound re-opened sometimes they must to affect a through cleansing. By that I mean that the pain of remembrance should be one where we will never forget those who lost and gave their lives that terrible day. Sometimes it's important to remember how someone died as well as how they lived.
Few days ago I watched a history channel film (documentary?) on a man who saved the lives of over 3000 people by calmly and effectively getting them out of the building before it collapsed while he himself stayed behind to ensure that everyone got out of their respective offices. It was called "The Man Who Predicted 9/11".

Rick Rescorla was an interesting man, he was a retired United States Army officer of British birth who served with distinction in Rhodesia as a British soldier and the Vietnam War as an American officer. For those who read or saw the movie, "We were soldiers once, and young"...he was there (as a matter of fact the cover of the book is a photo of him). The author called him "the best platoon leader I ever saw". There are mentions of him, and his bravery in numerous books about that battle and the war in general. He became a citizen AFTER Vietnam. He is probably one of the best Americans whom you have never heard of..as shameful as that is. Where was the media on him?

As he was evacuating people from the towers he reminded them "...be proud to be an American ...everyone will be talking about you tomorrow", and sang God Bless America and other military and Cornish songs over his bullhorn to help evacuees stay calm as they left the building, including an adaptation of the song Men of Harlech:

"Men of Cornwall stop your dreaming;
Can't you see their spearpoints gleaming?
See their warriors' pennants streaming
To this battlefield.
Men of Cornwall stand ye steady;
It cannot be ever said ye
for the battle were not ready;
Stand and never yield!"

Im not ashamed to say that I get misty eyed when I think about that man on that day. It makes me sad, angry and proud all at the same time. The man was a Warrior, an American and a Hero. There are many not worthy to carry his boots. We should be reminded everyday about 9/11 lest we forget...and frankly its why I get so pissed off at the apologists, the "understand them"'s and the conspiracists.

PS:Read that link on his name.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A quote of Rescorlas' I found:

"You should be able to strip a man naked and throw him out with nothing on him. By the end of the day, the man should be clothed and fed. By the end of the week, he should own a horse. And by the end of a year he should own a business and have money in the bank"

There is an online petition to have the president award him the Medal of Freedom.

http://www.petitiononline.com/pmfrick/petition.html

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Saying "thank you for sharing" seems so petty. I wish I could express better how much I appreciate your candor. :asian:

oh, You're welcome :) It was such a sad and surreal day, it was like being in a movie or a bad dream. And the overwhelming reek of jet fuel was overpowering and inescapable, and you never get that from these documentaries; the smells were so strong. It really added to the sense that everything was wrong, like the world and reality had violently broken or something. It was so far off of reality. And when the surreal "still in it" part was over, the sadness and loss kept on coming, for days and days afterwards, spreading like a wave over everyone and everything.
I know any day in the life of a soldier at war is just as bad, but we just weren't prepared for it, it was literally out of the cloudless cool blue.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This documentary aired on a cable channel in the States around the time of the anniversary of the attacks (a couple of months back). IMO it was well done, not sensationalist at all. The producers did a lot of old-fashioned detective work to try to find out who the man was, and it's almost certain that they managed to identify him. He was an acoustic engineer who worked part time in the Windows on the World restaurant.

The producers talked at length with his immediate family; some family members appeared on the program. The family is convinced that their family member was the falling man. His father is a minister. The family actually took comfort in knowing his fate on that day.

Obviously, things like this can never be easy to watch. But I believe the program was done with a lot of respect for those who died in the attacks, and that it confronted the whole issue of the initial publication of the photo of the falling man quite responsibly.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Obviously, things like this can never be easy to watch. But I believe the program was done with a lot of respect for those who died in the attacks, and that it confronted the whole issue of the initial publication of the photo of the falling man quite responsibly.

I did too. I wouldn't have posted this if I thought it wasn't done with the utmost respect. That said, I can understand people who can't/won't watch it, as it was very difficult for me to watch myself.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
...I can understand people who can't/won't watch it, as it was very difficult for me to watch myself.
Yes, of course. No argument here.

I was in and out of those towers countless times over a twenty-year period when I worked in Manhattan. Went to a couple of seminars up on some floor above 100. Took subway and PATH trains daily underneath the towers, walking through the shopping mall on the way. Ate lunch on nice summer days out in the courtyard where the bronze globe was. I believe that anybody who ever passed through the buildings, or worked near them, must feel something profoundly sad about what happened.

About a year ago, my sister and brother-in-law were visiting from Virginia. They wanted to go to ground zero, so we got on the bus and headed into the city from NJ. Even after five years, I couldn't stand to be there after just a couple of minutes. I was just overwhelmed. I told them I was sorry, but that I had to get away, and just started walking away fast.

I thought one of the most moving parts of that show was the dialog with Michael Lomonaco, who was the head chef at Windows on the World. He was supposed to have been in the restaurant that morning, but got sidetracked by something.

He spoke about all of the fellow employees and friends he'd lost that day (all of the employees who were in the restaurant died). It was especially moving to hear him talk about the falling man, who he knew well and clearly really liked. I had always liked him as a cooking show guest (he used to be on tv a lot in the NYC area), but my respect for him grew by leaps and bounds after hearing him on that program.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kreth I can certainly agree with you but I'm only speaking for me and my feelings. In reality which I refuse to be in about the 9-11 day, this film is probaly well done and it could have an impact on people views.

As far as the Holocaust you are correct we did loose relatives and yes the docs. have been well recieved by alot of people, but that does not take away from the feeling we have.

I'm sure in time I will go back and view this film but at the present time it is still to close for me to enjoy without feeling anger.

I have to agree with Teryl. I lost all but my parents in the Holocaust. It's been 60 years, and affected people I never knew, yet whenever I see a Holocaust documentary I get this incredible feeling of sadness and anger.

I can just imagine what a film like that can do to people who have lost loved ones only 6 years ago.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I watched part of the documentary, about as much as I can stand to look at at this time. And what I think about the image of the falling man, and why it provoked the reaction that it did, is that you cannot look at it without realizing, and seeing far too clearly, the essence, the true being, of the evil that was done that day, that drove what was done that day. The picture made me angry, and I realized that it made me angry because at a deeper level it made me sick, almost physically. To put someone, anyone, in a position where they would choose to be the man in that picture, rather than face a still more horrible alternative... it exhibits a moral pathology so deep, so loathsome, that I think we feel tainted, and threatened, by having to share the world with anyone who could do what was done to that man, and all the others. It's hard to accept that there are creatures who share human form with us whose deliberate actions could lead to that film sequence...

Latest Discussions