The Wong Way

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
As I said, Monk Wong is keen for me only to use English and western terminology now I'm in London. His rationale is - I must teach westerners in a way they will understand. As Grand Master is also used in chess, I will happily use this term.
You fell hard for that one Jiǎ de. There is no legitimate Chinese teacher on mainland China that would tell you to use the term "Grand Master", There is no legitimate Chinese martial arts school in China that would use the term either, That is unless it was a martial arts school set up specifically for westerners and tourists.

The term "Grand Master" does not exist in China, it is generally a term use between martial artists and is an insult.

And I am still waiting to here what the Henen Dialect is Jiǎ de

OP
W

Wong Follower

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You fell hard for that one Jiǎ de. There is no legitimate Chinese teacher on mainland China that would tell you to use the term "Grand Master", There is no legitimate Chinese martial arts school in China that would use the term either, That is unless it was a martial arts school set up specifically for westerners and tourists.

The term "Grand Master" does not exist in China, it is generally a term use between martial artists and is an insult.

And I am still waiting to here what the Henen Dialect is Jiǎ de
As I already mentioned, I'm borrowing the term from chess.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Nope, Monk Wong said it's fine - I checked
Oh man, you are something..... you checked.... you call him on the phone did you.... because this story just changed from borrowed from chess to you asked Monk Wong...... you are something else Jiǎ de

oh and what is that Henen dialect...still waiting for that answer.

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh man, you are something..... you checked.... you call him on the phone did you.... because this story just changed from borrowed from chess to you asked Monk Wong...... you are something else Jiǎ de
It's 4 am in China right now. Amazing how someone can bother "the great" whoever at 4 am, and ask him if it's okay to use a word on the internet...

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've proven myself already through mastering the Wong style. Few will argue with that.
Few on this forum will because there's a strict rule against fraudbusting.

In that regard, this entire thread is the equivalent of walking into a pacifist convention and slapping someone across the face.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well this has been fun...but I no longer wish to waste time on this load of Wuxia so...

To take a page from "Zen in the martial arts" by Joe Hyams

On one such occasion we talked about the difference between wasting time and spending time. Bruce was the first to speak.

“To spend time is to pass it in a specific manner” he said. “We are spending it during lessons just as we are spending it now in conversation. To waste time is to expend it thoughtlessly or carelessly. We all have time to either spend or waste and it is our decision what to do with it. But once passed, it is gone forever.

“It is the most precious commodity we have,“ agreed Sterling. “I always view my time as divided into infinite moments or transactions or contacts. Anyone who steals my time is stealing my life because they are taking my existence from me. As I get older, I realize that time is the only thing I have left. So when someone comes to me with a project, I estimate the time it will take me to do it and then ask myself, “Do I want to spend weeks or months of what little time I have on this project” Is it worth it or is it wasting my time?” If I consider the project time-worthy I do it.

“I apply this same yardstick to my social relations. I will not permit people to steal my time. I have limited my friends to those people with whom time passes happily. There are moments in my life - necessary moments - when I don?t do anything but what is my choice. The choice of how I spend my time is mine, and it is not dictated by social convention”

After Sterling finished talking, Bruce looked into space for a few moments. When he finally spoke, it was to ask if he could make a telephone call.

When he came back, Bruce was smiling. “I just cancelled an appointment.” he said. “It was with someone who wanted to waste my time and not help me spend it”

and the Wong Follower is wasting my time

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

oh and what is that Henen dialect...still waiting for that answer.
I don't even speak Chinese and I know what you're saying (from context). The fact he hasn't picked up on it tells a lot.

OP
W

Wong Follower

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nope, I asked him before and explained the chess thing - he was fine with it. Ancient history.

OP
W

Wong Follower

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Maybe I should tell you all about the time Wong single handedly defeated a Triad gang in Shanghai, to help ease some tension in this forum?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should tell you all about the time Wong single handedly defeated a Triad gang in Shanghai, to help ease some tension in this forum?
Yes please.

WHAT WILL YOU BE WEARING SO I CAN IDENTIFY YOU TOMORROW MORNING?

OP
W

Wong Follower

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, Wong got a call from his contact in Shanghai saying - a Triad gang is causing chaos, please help.

I remember it well because I travelled with Wong to Shanghai to address the issue personally. Monk Wong turned up at the gang's HQ. I waited outside. All I'll say is, 10 mins later the head of the Triad was outside the building, begging Wong for forgiveness.

Wong's Shanghai contact said the chaos never came back to his fine city after that day.

- Tomorrow in the park, I'll be training in the morning at some point.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Wong got a call from his contact in Shanghai saying - a Triad gang is causing chaos, please help.

I remember it well because I travelled with Wong to Shanghai to address the issue personally. Monk Wong turned up at the gang's HQ. I waited outside. All I'll say is, 10 mins later the head of the Triad was outside the building, begging Wong for forgiveness.

Wong's Shanghai contact said the chaos never came back to his fine city after that day.
Amazing!
- Tomorrow in the park, I'll be training in the morning at some point.
You said 8:30am!🤨

OP
W

Wong Follower

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It may well be 8:30 - it just depends on how long I practice meditation before, so hard to predict.

Latest Discussions