The dollyo chagi in Hwa Rang tul

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In Hwa Rang tul, the dollyo chagi is to be executed at 75 degrees. Is this the same kick that is being referred to in the encyclopedia as the side turning kick?

Is there a particular reason why the first pattern with a dollyo chagi in Chang Hon is executed in this rather unorthodox angle?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Hwa Rang tul, the dollyo chagi is to be executed at 75 degrees. Is this the same kick that is being referred to in the encyclopedia as the side turning kick?

Is there a particular reason why the first pattern with a dollyo chagi in Chang Hon is executed in this rather unorthodox angle?

All turning kicks in patterns are "Turning Kicks" with the target to the "Side Front". Hwa Rang Follows this. Kicks where the target is to the front and you turn more sideways are the "Side Turning Kicks" Now, having said that there are some anomalies with So San and Se Jong. Also, my experience with those being progeny of Chung Do Kwan Pioneers only did side turning kicks. (Which is how I was initially taught when my instructor was so aligned. )

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kicks where the target is to the front and you turn more sideways are the "Side Turning Kicks"

I don't understand that distinction. My body mechanics is the same regardless of which angle it is. The only way I'm sideways is if it's a round kick off the lead leg

Under what header does this fall?

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Side turning kick is not a term ever used in the dojang I trained in either.

If the angle was wrong in Hwa Rang, they told me, that's it. No mention of my body positioning adjusting.

The pictures in the encyclopedia are pretty cryptic unfortunately.

Latest Discussions