The Devil's are getting a name change?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah..I dont think anybody in town goes to West now. On my end of town its either Central or East.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
I just read that New Jersey State Assemblyman Craig Stanley wants to change the name of the New Jersey Devil's to something else because he finds it personally offensive that people are going to watch "the Devils" play, because he is Baptist deacon. http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3648960

Wow, first native americans were offended by teams with "indian" names. Now evangelical christians trying to alter team names because they are offensive. Isn't this getting a little ridiculous?

I find the Senattors to be offensive as well as the Atheletics, who want to think of a supporter ;)

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This seems espescially rediculous if you realize that the name actually has nothing to do with Satan, and is specifically refereing to the Jersey Devil, a mythical beast perported to have lived in the area.

jd1.gif

Some people just have the need to feel offended I suppose.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ginshun said:
This seems espescially rediculous if you realize that the name actually has nothing to do with Satan...
Reminds me of when I moved to Quincy, IL for a brief period. There were a bunch of flags with the head of a Devil on them, in fact the head was in blue; posted around town and at people's houses.

It made me wonder what kind of place I moved into until I found out that the high school team was the "Quincy Blue Devils."

Rynocerous

Blue Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I can see where some would find it offensive...but, what to do? Syracuse University is now just the Orange, as in the color. How far too go to be inoffensive?
Hey I didn't know their name was just "Orange"!!! I'm colourblind when it comes to the colour orange, and find that name to be offensive. I'm going to protest and get the name changed, who's with me?:rolleyes: :2xBird2:

Joking aside, I think this is pathetic, and people should just mind their own ****ing buisness. If it bothers you change the channel or just ignore it!

Sincerely,

Ryan W Guthormsen

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tgace said:
True..why do you think it is that white ethnic groups like the Irish (belligerent drunks) and the Norwegians (Ravaging Viking raiders, murders, robbers and rapists) dont take offense to those names but the Native Americans take offense at others? I do however think that Braves logo is not in synch with admiration for NA history/culture, and "Redskins"...could see a need for a change there. But "Braves", "Warriors" etc....not so much.

What about vehicle names (Grand Cherokee) and City Names?
Perhaps it's because people belonging to those groups reside in the area of those teams. Or because neither group is portrayed with such ridiculous charactures.

Or it might be that neither of those groups has a 500 year history of opression and genocide with the dominant culture that's supposedly glorifying it with those same ridiculous charactures.

I don't know about the Jeep Cherokee-I know a few Cherokee, and they don't seem bothered by it, anymore than any but the most radical Indians are upset by city names (though places like Squaw Valley can really rile some people.) There was a Mazda called the Navajo once, it was their version of the Ford Explorer, before it became the Tribute. The Dine sued Mazda, and got them to change the name.

I did mention some tolerance (on my part) for places such as upstate N.Y., or Long Island that had some history using Indian-related team names. It's worth noting that the Atlanta Braves came to Atlanta from Milwaukee-a place with a fairly large Indian population. It's also worth noting that the Creek, Muskogee and Cherokee of Georgia were forced to emigrate to Oklahoma on the Trail of Tears, and that it took virtually Indianless Georgia to invent the mockery of the "tomahawk chop."

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That rules!

I am totally ordering one of those jerseys! The Fightin' Whities! That is the best thing I have ever heard!

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
ginshun said:
That rules!

I am totally ordering one of those jerseys! The Fightin' Whities! That is the best thing I have ever heard!
I'm a proud backer of The Fightin' Whities, they're right up there with the Cracklin' Crackers and the Howlin' Honkies as one of my favorite sports teams.

On a serious note, a little perspective should be in order. We are aware that no one names sports teams demeaning names. It's usually something respected by the team members. I mean, who would name their teams the Skunks, the Turkey's or the Scared Rabbits. Tigers, Lions, Bears, noble sounding names. It's a compliment to have a sports team named after you. I very seriously doubt we name teams to insult others, as it is OUR team name. The Norwegian descendents who settled in Minnesota weren't insulting Vikings by naming a sports team after them.

T

TonyM.

Oh come on folks. They need a name change just to get a fighting chance. I mean seriously now. Doesn't everyone want to beat the crap out of the devil?

Latest Discussions