The Devil's are getting a name change?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just read that New Jersey State Assemblyman Craig Stanley wants to change the name of the New Jersey Devil's to something else because he finds it personally offensive that people are going to watch "the Devils" play, because he is Baptist deacon. http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3648960

Wow, first native americans were offended by teams with "indian" names. Now evangelical christians trying to alter team names because they are offensive. Isn't this getting a little ridiculous?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can see where some would find it offensive...but, what to do? Syracuse University is now just the Orange, as in the color. How far too go to be inoffensive?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
People are looking for things to be offended at these days.....

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think its stupid to change it and I think religious fanatics should keep their nose out of what people want to call their sport team names.
BUT what difference dose it make there is no NHL happening and it may never happen again

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
I think its stupid to change it and I think religious fanatics should keep their nose out of what people want to call their sport team names.
BUT what difference dose it make there is no NHL happening and it may never happen again
Well, you have a point there.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
I just read that New Jersey State Assemblyman Craig Stanley wants to change the name of the New Jersey Devil's to something else because he finds it personally offensive that people are going to watch "the Devils" play, because he is Baptist deacon. http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3648960

Wow, first native americans were offended by teams with "indian" names. Now evangelical christians trying to alter team names because they are offensive. Isn't this getting a little ridiculous?
I don't think you can really compare the two-it's not as though he's offended by the team being called the "New Jersey Bible-Thumpers," or the "Parsippany Preachers." He needs to lighten up...that is,of course, unless he's Satan.

On the other hand, the indian thing is offensive, especially in areas where it's not part of the history.As someone of American Indian and Black American descent I can say that this :

wahoo.jpg

is as offensive to me as this:

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ultimately though, didnt the teams choose the names like "Indians", "braves" and "redskins" out of admiration for Native American prowess, warriorship, strength, courage, and other admirable traits? What ball team would want to be known as the "Periwinkles" or the "Pantywaists"? While the logo may be questionalbe, Id be honored....

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
<Insert Sarcasm Here>

Yeah... I need to start a crusade to have the Chicago White Sox change their name, to... I dunno... lessee...

The Chicago Caucasion Sox, cuz, well... Im offended by the term "White"

Then I can go after the Blackhawks... </sarcasm>

Whatever.

Personally... I could totaly see this sort of thing being a "Retalitory" action for all of the changes taking place due to people being offended by Christians... but thats just my opinion. The guy could really be a whacko.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I can see where some would find it offensive...but, what to do? Syracuse University is now just the Orange, as in the color. How far too go to be inoffensive?
Further than the Texans. :rofl:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tgace said:
People are looking for things to be offended at these days.....
Amen bruddah...amen...

whoops sorry if I offended you with that Amen and a bronx accent.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Ultimately though, didnt the teams choose the names like "Indians", "braves" and "redskins" out of admiration for Native American prowess, warriorship, strength, courage, and other admirable traits? What ball team would want to be known as the "Periwinkles" or the "Pantywaists"? While the logo may be questionalbe, Id be honored....
Acceptance of racial stereotypes of 'Indians' as they're commonly called is not only more widespread than any other race, but actually ingrained so steadfastly into the American culture that most people don't see what all the fuss is about. The proponents of Native American mascots often profess no malice - indeed, they loudly broadcast an admiration of their own stereotyped creations. Sometimes this sense of "respect" can be taken to absurd lengths, as when some European-Americans defend the use of the word "squaw" as a place name with full knowledge that it originated as a reference to Native women's vaginas. However the fact is that disrespect is disrespect in the eyes of the offended, not the offender.

Take any name and caricature and change the stereotype and tell me if it seems offensive to your own sensibilities. For example, ask yourself if you would feel offended if they announced they were changing the Washington Redskins to the Washington "Blackskins", and put a flared-nostrilled caricature of Kunta Kinte on the helmets, or a crazed-eyed Zulu Warrior with a bone in his nose wielding a spear. Do you think folks would argue that they were honoring black people, and their noble fighting spirit?

The defense of Native American mascots by non-natives can be seen as enforcement of sense of conquest, of a reminder that European- Americans now set the perceptual rules. How about the Fighting Kikes, or Wops ... or a Boston favorite, The Washington Micks? Imagine the Washington "Whiteskins," with a caricature of George W. Bush on the helmet....

It's been years since Step-n-Fetchit was sent packing to the racial-stereotype graveyard; it has likewise been a couple of decades since Frito-Lay discarded its Frito Bandito. Yet, at the beginning of the 21st century, we find ourselves arguing over whether professional athletes should wear the likeness of Chief Wahoo, and whether fans who believe themselves to be decent people should regret doing the Tomahawk Chop. Would you paint your face black, wear an afro wig, and prance around a football field trying to imitate your perceptions-or misperceptions- of black people? Of course not! That would be insulting to Blacks. So why is it OK to do it to Indians?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I take offense at the Vikings and the Fighting Irish then...

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The local HS team here are the "Trojans" with a logo of a Greek Warriors head..another is "The Warriors" with a logo of a spear (with a feather) there was some hoopla here over it, but they kept it....

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Tgace said:
I take offense at the Vikings and the Fighting Irish then...
By all means do so. You'll note, however, that no where did I say that said teams should be compelled to change their names.

They just won't be getting any of my money.....

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
True..why do you think it is that white ethnic groups like the Irish (belligerent drunks) and the Norwegians (Ravaging Viking raiders, murders, robbers and rapists) dont take offense to those names but the Native Americans take offense at others? I do however think that Braves logo is not in synch with admiration for NA history/culture, and "Redskins"...could see a need for a change there. But "Braves", "Warriors" etc....not so much.

What about vehicle names (Grand Cherokee) and City Names?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is that the West Seneca East Trojans? Is West still the Indians, or did they become 'Warriors'?

I don't think modeling oneself after the Greeks of Troy (or Sparta) has ever been considered insulting...or maybe it has?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I live in Cheektowaga (Cheektowaga Central Warriors) but in W. Seneca East (indian Name there) school district, so my kids will be "Trojans". Im fairly certain the Spartans wouldnt have been wanted to be called Trojans. ;)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK. I grew up in Cheektowaga but went to West Seneca West. (The line kept moving. A close friend's sister had gone to East, and he, 2 years younger, went to West.) I had wondered if you meant that WSW had changed from Indians to Warriors.

Latest Discussions