The cane

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
How does one go about learning the cane when there are no teachers that teach it anywhere near by and seminars are not here either?

It seems to me that in this day in age it is a highly practical weapon

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of the cane also.
If you are in your situation, sadly videos may be the way to go. There are the Canemaster series, there is another hapkido series by Azkakh Farbiroz http://www.centurymartialarts.com/d...itemguid=a37d4c2e-3de4-460f-b51b-948edfde83df, then this other one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Hapkido-4-Fight...eZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem , and I have heard good things about this one by Gordon Oster: http://www.centurymartialarts.com/?Tabid=53&itemguid=af5f42e1-7e97-4664-9a2c-70356f48bfe7

If video is not your thing, then you may search out a local ninjutsu or escrima school. Many of their short staff techniques are the same (minus crook moves). This would be a very good start to build your cane move base.

AoG

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally I think one can learn much from doing ones forms with a cane instead of any other weapon. Also if you practice all you self defense moves with a cane you eventually learn to adapt it in many ways.
I have not seen the cane masters series but I have seen some of their forms preformed and I personally am not impressed. Way to many moves for the sake of being fancy and not enough real world use of the cane and follow up techniques. But that is just MHO

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does one go about learning the cane when there are no teachers that teach it anywhere near by and seminars are not here either?

It seems to me that in this day in age it is a highly practical weapon
There are various books and videos out there; I can't really critique any of them, but they're worth a shot, since I know you've got a solid basis to apply what you learn. The other thing you can do is work with the cane, and apply your empty hand techniques and principles, using it to extend your reach. For example -- pick up a cane (hook or straight), and see how your blocking techniques fit with it. See how you can throw a punch while holding the cane. You may find that you already know a lot more cane than you realize by applying principle from other weapons or empty hand.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally I think one can learn much from doing ones forms with a cane instead of any other weapon. Also if you practice all you self defense moves with a cane you eventually learn to adapt it in many ways.
My thoughts exactly. I'll sometimes do a sword form with the cane, try to use it in place of the staff in that form, etc. Amazing the applications that come to mind.
I have not seen the cane masters series but I have seen some of their forms preformed and I personally am not impressed. Way to many moves for the sake of being fancy and not enough real world use of the cane and follow up techniques. But that is just MHO
Agreed. I have seen the series, and while adequate, there are other possibilities. The actual canes, tho, are combat-good, if pricey. But there are other threads here about actual canes available, so I'll leave it at that.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. I'll sometimes do a sword form with the cane, try to use it in place of the staff in that form, etc. Amazing the applications that come to mind.
Agreed. I have seen the series, and while adequate, there are other possibilities. The actual canes, tho, are combat-good, if pricey. But there are other threads here about actual canes available, so I'll leave it at that.

I have to say I agree, do your kata with a cane in your hand and see where and how it might be applied. especially staff forms.. also look and see if any one teaches Kobudo/Kobujitsu in your aria as the hanbo kata would work well with any cane...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To get your Dan ranking in the CaneMasters you have to come up with techniques of your own besides the regular ciriculumn.. The possibilities are endless and limited to your imagination...

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks

My only prior experience with a cane was when I broke my ankle andI will admit I did on occasion treat it like a Jain when I was board. I also use to train Xingyi staff which is shorter than the taiji, Shaolin, Wing Chun staff but not as short as the average cane (Xingyi staff is about 5" long) so I was wondering if any of that would be useful.

It appears that the Canemaster series comes highly recommended so I will check it out.

Thanks for all the help

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin note: Moved to General Weapons Discussion. - G Ketchmark / shesulsa, MT Assist. Admin.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Checking Canemaster I realized I have a Hickory Burnt Wood Cane already. It was what I was using to get around back when I broke my ankle after I was off crutches... cool... It was also what I used for my stationary Jian and ocassional Dao stuff when I was bored.

And the price seem to be pretty reasonable, any suggestions as to what is the best cane to buy?

I also found that there is a certified Cane Master instructor about 4 hours from me

I am not big on learning from video but it may be my only option at this time and I see on Century and CaneMaster there are a few to consider.

Also looking at the century link I realized there is a Hapkido school near me but I do not know if they teach cane.

To get your Dan ranking in the CaneMasters you have to come up with techniques of your own besides the regular ciriculumn.. The possibilities are endless and limited to your imagination...

Can it involve trees :EG:

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also looking at the century link I realized there is a Hapkido school near me but I do not know if they teach cane.
In my experience, HKD instructors 3rd BB and up usually have some cane experience. But again that's just my experience.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can it involve trees :EG:

Prolly...It will be a dbl defeat for them...Canes are wood, wood comes from trees..Now you will beat the trees with a wooden cane..Man, that too deep for me....

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But would they teach cane without having to be one of thier hapkido students?

Boy that's a good question....In my Shorin-Ryu days weapons were only taught to brown belts and above..I know that the Combat Hapkido Federation sells a cane DVD

Latest Discussions