The book of five rings

ljdevo

White Belt
Reaction score
The book of five rings as written by Miyamoto Musashi, is an amazing book, which i would reccomend to any aspiring martial artist. Certain editions of the book also come complete with "Family traditions on the art of war", by Yagyu Munenori.

This is just a reccomendation, and if you have any spare time on your hands give it a go.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I actually just finished reading this book and was considering posting a discussion of the book here. If anyone else has read it, please feel free to post your observations and ideas about the book

Personally, I was most impressed by the suggestion that martial artists must cross train in other styles to survive.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually just finished reading this book and was considering posting a discussion of the book here. If anyone else has read it, please feel free to post your observations and ideas about the book

Personally, I was most impressed by the suggestion that martial artists must cross train in other styles to survive.

Wasn’t this cross training more about knowing the way of other schools to better define your own strategy.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is how I read it. That it was important to know how other schools fought so that you could more easily defeat them.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The book of five rings as written by Miyamoto Musashi, is an amazing book, which i would reccomend to any aspiring martial artist. Certain editions of the book also come complete with "Family traditions on the art of war", by Yagyu Munenori.

This is just a reccomendation, and if you have any spare time on your hands give it a go.

After reading your post, I went into my book shelf knowing I had this book somewhere. Bought it many years ago, so I decided to dust it off and check it out again.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And you know, the "Book of the Void' was one of the best reads. Short but deep.

Mine I got in college 30 plus years ago. Still have it.

Deaf

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If youa re going to read Musashi, might as well get this one:Complete Writing of Miyamoto Musashi
This one contains some Musashi and Munenori and others, very good read:
Secret Tactics

I have a couple of translations. My personal favorite is: Miyamoto Musashi: His Life and Writings, by Kenji Tokitsu. Tokitsu is that rare blend of genuine scholar and martial artist. In his presentation of the life of Musashi, he delves beneath the surface, placing the man in the context of his time. Tokitsu also challenges some long held, but poorly substantiated assumptions about Musashi, separating this fascinating historical figure from the myths that have grown around him. Definitely worth a look.

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont have a copy of the book ,But I have a question about the different translations out there. I was always taught as per this first link, that
"There is also timing in the Void. "(from the ground book)

http://www.samurai.com/5rings/

I have since found this translation, that states,
"There is no timing in the Void."(from the ground book)

http://users.tkk.fi/renko/gorinnosho.html

Could anyone confirm for me the correct translation.

Personally I beleive there is timing in the void.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would go with the Tokitsu translation, since he is also highly ranked in kendo, and a native Japanese speaker, I would think that would give him the best perspective.

but to me neither statement makes a whole lot of sense LOL, so much of the 5 rings is so symbolic and esoteric...

HeartofJuyoMk2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I keep a copy of this book in my room at all times. I like to compare it with Sun Tzu's Art of War, which is essentially the Chinese Book of Five Rings. What I really love about these books is that you can read them a million times and interprt them differently each time.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score

Tokitsu has it, "Cadence also exists for that which does not have a visible form."

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I dont have a copy of the book ,But I have a question about the different translations out there. I was always taught as per this first link, that
"There is also timing in the Void. "(from the ground book)

http://www.samurai.com/5rings/

I have since found this translation, that states,
"There is no timing in the Void."(from the ground book)

http://users.tkk.fi/renko/gorinnosho.html

Perhaps there is no time in the void, but there is timing? Just a possible way of looking at it, and how it got mistranslated. I think it's a truism.

5 Rings was a fascinating read. I should reread it this year.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps there is no time in the void, but there is timing? Just a possible way of looking at it, and how it got mistranslated. I think it's a truism.
The sentence doesn't really lend itself to that. Has more to do with interpreting what a negative meant in a given context IIRC.

As far as it goes though, depending on the perspective, either interpretation can work. No timing in the void takes a lot more verbal gymnastics to explain though.