The Blame Game

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22560675/

I'm sure everyone has heard about the tiger attack at the San Francisco zoo. Looks like the director of the zoo is blaming the kids for the attack, and others are saying that it was a result of improper procedures at the zoo.

Now, IMHO, even if the wall was not the required height, if the tiger did not escape or ever make an escape attempt in the past, that is really a moot point. If in fact the kids were taunting the animal, then I'd have to say yes, they were responsible for their actions and the unfortunate results.

Thoughts?

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Life happens.

Tiger's eat... most things smaller then them, which includes us. Keep tigers around people and someday something bad will happen.

The problem with blame is that people seem to forget that life is a viciously dangerous place to hang around... and nobody gets out alive. We want the world to be a safe, threat free place to be and we've done a pretty good job in many places of allowing that to be the case but sometimes we're reminded that it don't really work that way.

So we look for someone to be responsible for why reality doesn't match our desires

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only one not to blame in this instance appears to be the tiger even though it killed two people. The enclosure was below national standards and, looking at the ages of the victims (and making a vast generalisation) there is a very good chance they were taunting the animal.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The San Diego Wild Animal Park's Lion enclosure separates you from the lions with what looks like a ½ inch thick pane of glass. The lions look at you like they just don't care.
Makes me wonder if animals have the mental capacity for boredom...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I am absolutely sure that they do. It's a big issue with zoos, in keeping healthy animals. When the animals are bored, with no mental stimulation, their health declines rapidly.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Certain breeds of dogs for herding appear to, leave them alone with nothing to do long enough with nothing to do they will start trying to heard ants just to keep busy. So I imagine it is highly likely other animals do as well

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
The San Diego Wild Animal Park's Lion enclosure separates you from the lions with what looks like a ½ inch thick pane of glass. The lions look at you like they just don't care.

Yeah, well if every lion, tiger, anaconda and great white shark "looks at me like they just don't care" - that is absolutely fine with me.

Can animals feel boredom? Let's show them a Hellary speech marathon and find out! Or that could provoke an attack...

What are the legal blame ramifications if the zoo was designed badly, but the victims/dinners were taunting the tiger? Who knows - this is California!! ' If the slingshot hits, can the tiger digest it? '