The "Bjj Mentality"

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with whoever said that its an outgrowth of Brazilian/Latin American culture. Like it or not, that sort of confident machismo is appealing to American consumers, and its also a pretty stark contrast to the more reserved cultures of China, Japan, and other East Asian societies. That machismo mixed with the more laid back nature of most gyms, and combined with the raw effectiveness of the art itself has produced an interesting mix of personalities who tend to be very eccentric and opinionated. I think that's where a lot of the "Bjj mentality" stereotype comes from.

I mean, you're not going to find personalities like Eddie Bravo, Joe Rogan, Relson Gracie, Renzo Gracie, Kurt Osiander, or Keenan Cornelius anywhere else but in Bjj.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Talking about BJJ mentality, I do think the "resistance to be taking down - try as hard as you can not to be taken down" and "BJJ mentality" contradict each other.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with whoever said that its an outgrowth of Brazilian/Latin American culture. Like it or not, that sort of confident machismo is appealing to American consumers, and its also a pretty stark contrast to the more reserved cultures of China, Japan, and other East Asian societies. That machismo mixed with the more laid back nature of most gyms, and combined with the raw effectiveness of the art itself has produced an interesting mix of personalities who tend to be very eccentric and opinionated. I think that's where a lot of the "Bjj mentality" stereotype comes from.

I mean, you're not going to find personalities like Eddie Bravo, Joe Rogan, Relson Gracie, Renzo Gracie, Kurt Osiander, or Keenan Cornelius anywhere else but in Bjj.

Gene lebell.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to admit that I find there is this very popular smug attitude that BJJ is the absolute best martial art there is and everything else is worthless in comparison.

I blame the rising popularity of UFC and MMA over the past decade, not to say those sports are very admirable, though not my thing personally, too much rolling on the floor for me to be entertained by it.

I also get very tired of hearing about the gracie's. They are nice people and talented, but they have the most annoying fandom.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started a new thread here so that the other thread wouldn't be closed.

Well, just ask him. Some Bjj instructors don't mind a little challenge match. Make it playful so it's not taken personally. That way if you beat him with just Goju Ryu (or whatever karate you practiced) he'll stop bad-mouthing Karate and making you feel uncomfortable.

Would you be willing to explain this "Bjj mentality" to me Ballen? I read some of the discussion between you and Tony, and you seem to believe that Bjj practitioners in particular have an attitude that Bjj works and nothing else.

Just to clarify my stance, (since I was mentioned multiple times in that thread); There are martial arts that I think are (to be kind) a joke. However, I would never consider them "useless" or not worth experiencing. Further, I don't think Bjj is the only MA on the planet worth taking. There's several other MAs around that I would gladly participate in if I had the time.

Do you (or others) feel that these are examples of "The Bjj mentality"?
(* Video links removed from quote *)

Hanzou,

I know I am not the one you addressed this too, yet I would like to chime in.

In the past there have been certain groups that have collectively gotten together and made it difficult for the rest of the community here.
One time there was a group of LEO's who thought all non LEO's were poor in training and were poor in subject matter as they could not
EDC (* Every Day Carry *) a firearm with them everywhere they went.

There were some from various arts as well. Not to go or get into too many details, as it is in the past like the above is as well.

The Staff here at this site has rotated over the years and ownership of this site. The important thing is that they have tried and done their
best to make sure all feel comfortable here in posting and asking questions and debating (* as in presenting a point within an argument and willing to listen to the other side and at least acknowledge they have a point *).

The recent comments here about BJJ Mafia and such, I believe is about that acknowledgement that others may have a point even if it disagrees with you.
Are there absolutes? Yes
Does my GF call me fat when I ask here how I look in my blue shirt? No, she says, I like the red shirt as it is brighter and you seem happier to me. (* Some thing else positive *).
This gets the desired reaction she wants of me not wearing the blue shirt. :)

I have dealt in the past with challenges in class or training locations, some from other Stick / weapon systems, and also from BJJ/MMA/Wrestler types.
One small Filipino trained with me for a few months and then got frustrated as I would tell him that is your old system , in this system we do it this way.
He said ok, show me!. He then put up his hands and then began his dancing footwork. I asked if he was ready. He replied with a smile and Yes.
I then reached out and timed his movement and trapped his hand down and put my fist an inch from his face. He said cool, I get it know.

BJJ / MMA is similar to this. People want to test it from time to time.

I had one wrestler just tell me he would come in and take me down. I said ok, let me know when you are ready to try. He said now. I said ok, and he charged in.
I slapped the back of his head C1-C4 area and slapped his face with my other hand and smushed his nose and pushed on his eyes and wiggled his head on his spine.
I followed him down so that his head would not hit hard on the mats. He got up and said ok, I get it.

I had another really good Karate and Muay Thai Kicker with Judo in there as well, and he said I would kick me high in a stick fight. I said ok. do you want shin pads?
He asked if I would be wearing them. I said no, I only have to one pair and offer them to you. He learned not after one kick but three kicks into my stick as I would only
hold it there for him to kick into that it was not the plan.

He smiled, and made a note that my comment about low line kicks with weapons was the best.

Another time, I was at an event, last minute invite the day of and was in jeans and t-shirt and had my training folder with me while working some Vale Tudo , and I working with another FMA, guy and he asked if I had my trainer. So I got it, and while in the guard I worked on pulling it and deploying the blade on the pull with the wave technology. The first time the SHINK! occurred everyone else stopped and my partner switched from trying to hit me and or pin me to stopping the blade. The instructor told the rest of the class that they did not need to work on this as the fear was obvious on everyone's face. (* Except us two *)

So while I can post about these experiences, and use them as example like I have done, here, I do not post in every BJJ / MMA thread about the poor fighting skills of these arts as they do not address knife fighting or improvised weapons on the ground. I have seen in the past this type of behavior that is frustrating to some people. It is not quite stalking, and or trolling just short of the rules on both of these. Yet, it seems that as people do not do as "We" do, that it creates a US vs THEM mindset. And the Mafia comment comes from the Enforces and Thugs that woudl go around and convince people , to accept them or else.

Now, unless you have gotten some Staff action , I know of no rules you may have broken, mostly as I do not read all the BJJ / MMA stuff as I am not into that Sport end of the
Martial Arts . I respect the athletes in these areas, and enjoy watching them compete from time to time. I support their training and enjoyment of their arts, and looking for what
they want out of it.

No disrespect meant to you , or anyone else who trains to compete, or in BJJ or MMA. I wish you and everyone the best. :D