The big picture

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What does everyone that is involved in TKD think is the big picture that alot of the newer instructor have forgotten about and why so?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What does everyone that is involved in TKD think is the big picture that alot of the newer instructor have forgotten about and why so?

I'd say it's probably the combat aspect of TKD, the side of it that made the ROK forces trained in it so scary to their enemies in the two Asian wars the South has been involved in since the end of the Occupation. We are, alas, a long way from that now....

A lot of the reason is the sportification of the art, enthusiastically pursued by the ROK government (much as the Chinese government pushes the circus spectacle aspect of CMA in the form of wushu). But some of it is also the fact that it's gotten harder and harder, as more and more the MAs have to cater to middle class recreational trends, to sell something as hard-edged and gritty as TKD used to be in the Kwan era, or even in the 1960s. Parents interested in an after-school child-care program, which is how a lot of dojangs pay the rent (and even salaries) now, probably don't want their kids learning how to carry out neck twists, or hammerfist strikes to a trapped attacker's carotid sinus.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
agreed. The nitty gritty, ugly brutal combat oriented self defense. This sis true of all arts to a certain extant, but it is VERY true of TKD in particular.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I agree as well. TKD is a complete style that contains many hand and foot techs as well as throws, grapples, limb destructions, etc. etc. Many new instructors have gotten away from this and have focused primarily on the Olympic side of things and it has watered down the style, or at least the image of the style. They have forgotten about it because of the different climate compared to TKD's origins in war-torn Korea, and because of the niche that the style now occupies (I.E. fun activity after school, dojang day care, uber sport). Besides, given that modern niche, would you really want kids running around learning the same grade of TKD as the ROK marines? It would certainly make for some interesting times at recess. ROK style Power Rangers, anyone? I fear that our style has become a casualty of its own success.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Big Picture to me: the Instructors, Korean or American, who only focus on the Olympic or sparring angle as the goal of Taekwondo seem to forget that they will be unable to compete at that level when they hit 35 or 40. Yes, fitness knowlege has improved tremendously over the years, but Olympic sparring is very hard on the body. When you retire from competition, and sparring and drills are all you know, what will you do? You will have your medals but little else.
If you practice traditional Taekwondo, and focus on basics, forms, self defense, and TKD as an all around program, you can still do it when you are middle aged and older.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think in the grand scheme of things, many have forgotton that its a Martial art we do (as opposed to a martial sport, daycare, new car fund etc.). Perhaps not forgotton, maybe they were never taught it that way, or worse still dont want to make it that way because it will affect their income!

Stuart