The best way to hold a staff

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Why not both?

Depending on the what technique is needed during a fight.

Never understood the interpretation or reasoning for throwing your bo in the air or any other big tricks some do.
Recovery if your weapon gets knocked into the air, you can catch it and counter quickly.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Myself...but then many weapon forms competition is about looking good, cool, & exciting rather than what is efficient & practical.
I agree but often times in traditional styles the spins and throws are about recovery of the weapon if you lose it.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Recovery if your weapon gets knocked into the air, you can catch it and counter quickly.

Seems like you would be better off using that time focusing on weapon retention and grip.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, which grip was most comfortable for you to use?

Never found any of the ways to hold a staff uncomfortable, but these two are likely most common

staff23a.jpg

straight-wax-wood-staff.jpg

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, which grip was most comfortable for you to use?
I won't answer for Xue, but will suggest a better way to look at it once again is the overall methodology, which would include specifics on grip.

IF THe method speaks to you, likely you will find the grip makes sense in that context.

I know a couple methods of staff, both gripping at one end to use the full length of the weapon. One of these methods does a lot of switching from one end to the other, but still using the full length. The other method pretty much stays at the same end of the staff all the way through. The grip is different for each of these methods. Within their own context, they make sense and are comfortable.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never found any of the ways to hold a staff uncomfortable, but these two are likely most common

staff23a.jpg

straight-wax-wood-staff.jpg

Just an observation.

It seems like that would be great while your opponent is kept outside at distance but would be problematic once your opponent gets inside of the staffs reach.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just an observation.

It seems like that would be great while your opponent is kept outside at distance but would be problematic once your opponent gets inside of the staffs reach.

Well, a staff is a long weapon. There are places and circumstances in which it becomes less useful.

But a good method will also include ways to shift and change the grip and allow for a changing range.

As I keep saying, there should be a complete picture with the staff method. It isn't just an unchanging grip. You can't take one aspect of the method, such as the grip, and put it into a vacuum. Context is very important and flexibility exists to meet changing demands.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, a staff is a long weapon. There are places and circumstances in which it becomes less useful.

But a good method will also include ways to shift and change the grip and allow for a changing range.

As I keep saying, there should be a complete picture with the staff method. It isn't just an unchanging grip. You can't take one aspect of the method, such as the grip, and put it into a vacuum. Context is very important and flexibility exists to meet changing demands.

Agree. That's why to me it would only be smart to know how to use a staff held at different positions depending on the actions of the fight instead of studying one particular position.

So in reality....there is no best method, just multiple methods.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just an observation.

this is of course assuming that this is a static posture and neither the position of the staff or the hand positioning can change ;)

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Seems like you would be better off using that time focusing on weapon retention and grip.
It may seem that way yes, but being able to recover from a bad position or being able to catch a weapon in mid-flight is, in terms of weapon combat, a useful skill. Being able to retain the weapon is obviously important, but being able to recover is also important I would say.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
It may seem that way yes, but being able to recover from a bad position or being able to catch a weapon in mid-flight is, in terms of weapon combat, a useful skill. Being able to retain the weapon is obviously important, but being able to recover is also important I would say.

No offense but I find it hard to believe that while fighting an adversary you are going to catch your weapon that has been knocked out of your hand while fighting.

If the weapon has been knocked out of your hand....you are being actively engaged by your opponent. No way you are fending him off and catching that weapon.

And practicing catching a weapon that was knocked from your hands seems futile since you have no idea where it will be knocked to.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No offense but I find it hard to believe that while fighting an adversary you are going to catch your weapon that has been knocked out of your hand while fighting.

If the weapon has been knocked out of your hand....you are being actively engaged by your opponent. No way you are fending him off and catching that weapon.

And practicing catching a weapon that was knocked from your hands seems futile since you have no idea where it will be knocked to.
I believe it has to deal with coordination with the weapon when you have limited control over it. Again it's about recovery, not just catching weapons, although that is part of the skill. The catching of a weapon doesn't have to be your own, it could be one that your buddy could be throwing to you (just as an example). I understand that it sounds stupid, but you have to remember that these are skills from a long time ago where fighting with weapons was much more common.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand that it sounds stupid, but you have to remember that these are skills from a long time ago where fighting with weapons was much more common.

But I don't think a long time ago they were using 4 oz glow in the dark glittery toothpick bos that they threw high in the air while they did their best Michael Jackson spin. :D

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is the advantage of holding the staff in the middle as opposed to closer to one end?
The staff is also called "2 heads snake". When you hold on the 1/3 and 2/3 spot, if you release your

- left hand, your staff can hit 2/3 staff length to your right.
- right hand, your staff can hit 2/3 staff length to your left.

This way, you can attack your opponent with both end of your staff. Even you don't release your hand, you can use one side to hit your opponent's upper body, and use the other side to hit your opponent's low body.

john_pole_2.jpg

Last edited:

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
But I don't think a long time ago they were using 4 oz glow in the dark glittery toothpick bos that they threw high in the air while they did their best Michael Jackson spin. :D
Haha probably not LOL

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hold it like this. Then hit 'em hard.

Attachments

• 997075_10204412578729534_725433930057866127_n.jpg
    997075_10204412578729534_725433930057866127_n.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 209
OP
Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

I understand completely where you are coming from, thanks. Does Tibetan Crane use a staff? If so, what is the methodology behind their use of it?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I understand completely where you are coming from, thanks. Does Tibetan Crane use a staff? If so, what is the methodology behind their use of it?
We do, we use a method that keeps the grip at one end of the staff, but we may shift from one end to the other and alternate ends in that way. The grip may also shift from it being palms facing each other, to palms both facing down/away. The methodology is consistent with how we use a full body connection to generate our power. The staff follows that same methodology, and the grips and how/when/why we change the grip is in line with our overarching method. I haven't learned the entir system but I've seen most of it, and I haven't seen any staff that deliberately holds the staff in the middle and keeps that kind of grip to fight from there. We tend to feel that when you have a long weapon, you should use that reach and distance.

Latest Discussions