the benefits of taekwondo.

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
my girlfriend told me that all the kicks i'm learning is giving me 'a very nice ****'.

pity its also giving me 'very achy joints' too :D

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
pity its also giving me 'very achy joints' too :D

Some general advice: Don't do a lot of air kicking. Practice against a heavy bag or a kicking shield instead. Save the air repetitions for the slow kicks intended to improve leg strength and flexibility.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well stay to the positive way of doing things, remember pain is a figment of your imagination....

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well stay to the positive way of doing things, remember pain is a figment of your imagination....
My imagination has a lot of figments then, cause I always have a lot of pain.
icon10.gif

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
If your joints are sore, then that means something is wrong. You might want to consider reevaluating your striking methodology. One thing Professor Chow always stressed to me was to take care of your joints, ligaments, tendons and bones - the inside of your body. The martial arts are supposed to lengthen your life, not shorten it.

OP
RobinTKD

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
They don't just ache from tkd, i also do long distance running (impacts heavily on the knees), 5 a side football (burst sprinting is destroying the balls of my feet) and yeah, i've recently stopped 'air kicking' as dancingalone said, and reserve it only for slow kicks and flexibility exercises.

Also, in the last couple of years i've lost about 90lbs of fat and my body is still kinda getting used to it. A lot of the pain is 'good pain' as my instructor would say, but its mostly my knees and feet.

Yes my girlfriend does help me forget about it ;)

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If your joints are sore, then that means something is wrong. You might want to consider reevaluating your striking methodology. One thing Professor Chow always stressed to me was to take care of your joints, ligaments, tendons and bones - the inside of your body. The martial arts are supposed to lengthen your life, not shorten it.

Yeah, there are so many little adjustments one can make to preserve comfort.

Personally what screwed my joints up was running, which we did a lot of and which is why more often than not I work out in shoes for regular classes. I'm 18, I'd like to be 81 before I quit ;)

Latest Discussions