The Bad Words I Know Aren't Bad Enough

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The greedy, vicious mother loving lowlife skunk crap rat bastards at the RIAA have outdone themselves on this one. First they got their pet regulators to say that Internet radio stations have to pay them eight cents per listener per time the song is played - which is enormously higher than their rates for satellite radio. This will, of course, bankrupt every one of them, which was the idea.

Now the theologically challenged male offspring of syphillitic female canids have gone one further. They own the Internet royalties to all music. It doesn't matter if you're Indie. It doesn't matter if you're not signed. It doesn't matter if you own all the rights and freely give anyone the right to play your songs. The RIAA collects the royalties. And if you want the royalties that you didn't give them permission to take you have to join them - their discretion whether you get to or not - and apply for the privilege of paying a hefty service percentage to them for your own money. This isn't service like you get in a service station. It's service like you get from a bull if you're a cow.

The Daily Kos has the whole vile story.

OP
tellner

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The more I think of this the worse it gets.

I can't put my own background music up on my own sites because I'm not paying the RIAA for the privilege. My drumming teacher can't podcast drumming lessons. The choir sings in your church's Internet services? They'd better pay up. And the recording industry doesn't just cover music. There's spoken word as well. Say goodbye to podcasts of all sorts including readings. Conferencing over IP becomes iffy.

Whatever happened to the idea that contracts required all parties to sign on? Is there anything these nasty old goat shaggers won't stoop to?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How can someone else assign rights for something they don't own?

If i had talent in these areas, I'd put it up and let them complain, then take them to small claims court and ask that same question.

"It's my copyrighted work. I don't want them to do this. Why can they?"
Pinprick them to death.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
How can someone else assign rights for something they don't own?

If i had talent in these areas, I'd put it up and let them complain, then take them to small claims court and ask that same question.

"It's my copyrighted work. I don't want them to do this. Why can they?"
Pinprick them to death.

They can't. Surely this activity will see them in court faster than they can re-sign their contracts with the Devil.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got as far as "So let me get this straight ... " and then everything I tried to type turned into expletives and invective :confused:.

Why has the music industry declined so? Is it because of piracy? Or is it perhaps that too little that is any good is released and too much is spent on hyping the talentless?

I remember the days when one-hit-wonders were a rarity and bands weren't even considered to be worthy of serious discussion until their third album. Oh how times (and quality) have changed ...

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got as far as "So let me get this straight ... " and then everything I tried to type turned into expletives and invective :confused:.

Why has the music industry declined so? Is it because of piracy? Or is it perhaps that too little that is any good is released and too much is spent on hyping the talentless?

I remember the days when one-hit-wonders were a rarity and bands weren't even considered to be worthy of serious discussion until their third album. Oh how times (and quality) have changed ...

In the words of Pink Floyd...

Money, its a crime.
Share it fairly but dont take a slice of my pie.
Money, so they say
Is the root of all evil today.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score

The music industry these days seems to have moved away from music and into selling image. You don't need to be able to sing anymore. You just have to look just exactly like what the market research says a pop or rock star should look like. I t just makes me think of guys like Bob Dylan, Cat Stevens or Van Morrison. They are not pretty men! But they can sing, or at least write great music in Dylan's case.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's so true, mate.

Indeed, look at the legendary Pink Floyd that Lisa quoted. They wouldn't stand a chance in todays supposedly 'market-driven' music industry. The same goes for Led Zeppelin, Rush, Black Sabbath, Tangerine Dream, Yes, Genesis ... in fact pretty much any of the legendary bands would not have been permitted to release anything these days.

Explains a lot really. "Image over Content" would appear to be the Record Exec's mantra.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The music industry these days seems to have moved away from music and into selling image. You don't need to be able to sing anymore. You just have to look just exactly like what the market research says a pop or rock star should look like. I t just makes me think of guys like Bob Dylan, Cat Stevens or Van Morrison. They are not pretty men! But they can sing, or at least write great music in Dylan's case.

Add Neil Young to that and you have a pretty ugly foursome. :D

But what you write is true. It is all about fitting into the image. The beautiful people sell. Especially since videos became such a marketing scheme. Having to record a video with every song released. Now you know what they look like! There was a time when you didn't know until you got a hold of the album cover and went "wow, that is one ugly dude" but by then you already bought the album, liked the songs and just didn't care. :lfao:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess Keith Richards really got lucky, coming on the scene forty years+ ago instead of now! :D

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The greedy, vicious mother loving lowlife skunk crap rat bastards at the RIAA have outdone themselves on this one. First they got their pet regulators to say that Internet radio stations have to pay them eight cents per listener per time the song is played - which is enormously higher than their rates for satellite radio. This will, of course, bankrupt every one of them, which was the idea.

Now the theologically challenged male offspring of syphillitic female canids have gone one further. They own the Internet royalties to all music. It doesn't matter if you're Indie. It doesn't matter if you're not signed. It doesn't matter if you own all the rights and freely give anyone the right to play your songs. The RIAA collects the royalties. And if you want the royalties that you didn't give them permission to take you have to join them - their discretion whether you get to or not - and apply for the privilege of paying a hefty service percentage to them for your own money. This isn't service like you get in a service station. It's service like you get from a bull if you're a cow.

The Daily Kos has the whole vile story.

darn tootin. webstations play music that no one else plays on the radio-- the RIAA is talking out of both sides of its mouth. doesn't want to destroy interenet radio just wants a bigger piece of a pie. well there isnt' that much pie yet. this bs story about bands not getting enough of the ad dollars is unfounded-- bands rarely get big without airplay, they make their fortunes selling cds/downloads/concert tix. and web radio created a new avenue for indie bands to gain a following without terrestrial radio play-- they don't need a few dollars to see that turned off. they need the exposure.

most bands/artists don't want this rate hike. so the soundexchange is not speaking for them.

Congress is now trying to act but you need to voice your support- there's info here on what you can do.

http://www.kcrw.com/music/music-royalty-rates

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
folks, what we're witnessing here is the death throes of an industry.

the internet is making the riaa obsolete. instead of retooling to go with new technology, our friends are stubbornly trying to hang on to their old ways.

they'll go the way of the dodo, but not without an annoying fight.

as evil as the jaggofs are, this can't be a real threat. the eff hasn't even mentioned it on their site, far as i can tell.

simply the annoying parting shots of a bully who's beginning to realize the skinny kid just got a black belt.