School newspaper editorial prompts teacher transfer

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There was another thread discussing about violent writings and how to respond to these.

This made me think of another take to writing, specifically the allowance to express different views. The link below is of a teacher who was fired (forced to transfer) for allowing an editorial to be written advocating tolerance of gays. I realize that a high school has much more control of their own journalism than a typical city daily news. With this restriction, how can a journalism student learn how to approach difficult subjects if they are not allowed to try?

[I understand that the firing/transfer may be more about her breaching the conditions of having the written materials be previewed first by administration than of the topic choice].

Anyway, I think back to my high school when I took journalism classes. It is a different world today when I look at my son's journalism study guide and compare the difference... (shaking my head)

http://www.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/04/27/school.newspaper.flap.ap/index.html

- Ceicei

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find this horribly disturbing. While I understand that this teacher deliberately disobeyed a school directive - the one about notifying the principal prior to publication of controversial topics - I have a real problem with the level of response, for exactly the reasons you state.

If no one is allowed to talk about "controversial" topics, they will remain just that - controversial - because no one will feel comfortable engaging in the converse necessary to demystify and normalize the topics. If you disagree with the opinion expressed of the topic - say so, in a calm fashion that expresses your opinion and basis therefore - but do not silence people who express opinions or discuss topics you dislike. That way lies censorship, and an open invitation to totalitarianism.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did I read that correctly? The teacher was punished for not notifying the principle of a "controversial subject" ?

Tolerance of Homosexuals is controversial?

WTF?

So the 'norm' is intolerance toward homosexuals? Is Indiana the new home of Henderson and McKinney?

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did I read that correctly? The teacher was punished for not notifying the principle of a "controversial subject" ?

Tolerance of Homosexuals is controversial?

WTF?

So the 'norm' is intolerance toward homosexuals? Is Indiana the new home of Henderson and McKinney?

It is in conservative areas...

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
As I recall, the Supreme Court has ruled that the 1st Amendmendment does not apply to high school newspapers (or presumably other high school media.) Certainly censorship was alive and well in the late 80's when students at my high school wanted to write about issues related to sex, be it pregnancy, disease, or the like.

Lamont

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I recall, the Supreme Court has ruled that the 1st Amendmendment does not apply to high school newspapers (or presumably other high school media.) Certainly censorship was alive and well in the late 80's when students at my high school wanted to write about issues related to sex, be it pregnancy, disease, or the like.

Lamont

Just because something is legal does not make it right - this is, IMHO, one of those times.

Latest Discussions