The art for me

S

Snipes

well I know a lot of you guys love your art and are bias but bare with me here :). I have tried many different arts and with that come different opinions of them. I am currently studying gun fu with grandmaster archibeuqe and its great its just not much of a workout besides the beginning when we do kicks and falling and stuff. its also pretty boring probably because my mind wasn't all focused on it the last time but its just not what i though. I am more into the fighting aspect not the self defense and I'm not sure if a good art for that is muay thai, i'm thinkin so. well i know you guys have expertise so please get back to me. thanks.
-Snipes

OP
S

Snipes

It is actually "Gun Fu" I didn't miss spell it my instructor is a 10th degree blackbelt and to become that distinguished you need to have your own style so "Gun Fu" is a different style of "Kung Fu". Ok cool I'll check that out right away.
-Snipes

OP
N

nobleman

if u ask me what art is the best or fit for you, it depends on you. because maybe an art that fit with someone doesn't fit for someone else. i recommend reading from some sources in internet, about an art, so u can understand what art is the best for you.

OP
H

hand2handCombat

u said ur into an art that is more into fighting. try MT or JKD. the workouts are very good. a guy in my class lost about 120 lbs. i couldnt believe it. also, they toughen ur shins and increase the power of ur kick.

i was practicing with one of my instructors, hes a champion from Thailand. and he threw a soft kick at me, when i blcoked with my shin, it was like a hammer hit it.

OP
S

Snipes

ya I'm going to try out mt, I think I am actually going to stick with archibeque but do some harder training on the days I'm not with him because he is an excellent instructor just I was expecting something a little more physically demanding.
-Snipes

Timotheus

White Belt
Reaction score
I too am taking gun Fu martial arts. It may be true that in class we do not do a lot of physical workout. In class we work on technique however if we only do just our class than we are not going all the way with what we need to do.

/Part of our training is involved in Iron shirt which requires a lot of strength, as well as power in hands wrist legs and arms.

At home I use a 2x4 post about 3' high on which I lay on with my belly. this gives me enough hight to do frog swim, bicycle, and belly push ups (stomach muscles only with legs and feet horizontal) without touching the ground. I use strech bands around my neck and pull for Iron neck. push ups using t bars ( a wrist killer that I'm having trouble with) and long bolts.

Also if you are practising Gun Fu spend a half hour doing monkey kata or improvise and come up with your own. combine Animal form one & two with dancing dragon, bow, and ABC kata. and do every morning in Tia chi style and in the afternoon or in the time b4 class do regular.

Gun Fu is about learning about you and you form The art around yourself. Always Remember Gun Fu is a living art. Gun Fu embodies the Heart, Mind, Spirit and body of those Who have gone before you. Take what you find and learn it. And make it your own Remember you make Gun Fu what you want it to be.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial talk. Did you realize the post you replied to is almost 5 years old?? :D

Latest Discussions