The Army or the UFC

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the army here sends it bad boys to Colchester(Colly) and it's certainly true that most SNCO's have spent some time there, the army believes they are better soldiers for going there. In the RAF and Navy though you'd probably spend your time there but be dismissed though they won't admit that. It could be something the young man would find useful!
http://www.army.mod.uk/agc/provost/2157.aspx

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
To update the young fellow's situation, he see's a judge about his death threat to his ex girlfriend on August 25. Please pray that justice is done. He visited two MMA schools this week, whether or not MMA is good for a hot head like this is questionable, I think he needs anger management first. He is of course a long ways from the UFC. He needs to get off probation before he enters the Army, he's not sure he will join the Army at this point. He thinks the Army will pay for his GED, don't know if that is true or not. He's confused and uncertain. He needs to grow up, really. Hopefully he will get a good judge who will make him do the things he needs to do to get his life in order or go back to jail.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Joab,

You know, this might be going out on a limb here, but I don't really like the idea of someone less-than-mentally stable being given firearms and then being taught how to use them...
It's counter-intuitive to most normal folks, but the reality is that often times the worst citizens make the best soldiers.......basically it's an environment where often times the job is to kill people and break things.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW: The military has had problems with gang members joining...white supremacists joining and people who commit murder/crimes while IN the service.

The "the military will straighten him out" thing is far from assured. What the military MAY do is provide him with supervision (if he has good leaders) that will babysit him out of trouble till he gets discharged.
The military has been maintaining a blind eye to gangs for years... and isn't looking to change much. They have active sets of just about any criminal street gang you can name (yes, including transnational gangs like MS-13 and 18th Street), as well as outlaw bikers, white supremacists, and more...

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The military has been maintaining a blind eye to gangs for years... and isn't looking to change much. They have active sets of just about any criminal street gang you can name (yes, including transnational gangs like MS-13 and 18th Street), as well as outlaw bikers, white supremacists, and more...

To be fair to the young man, he is no outlaw biker or white supremacist. He is a young man with a short temper, and he has a problem with jealousy regarding his now ex girlfriend. He is staying away from her and now has a new girlfriend. He's immature and irresponsible in some ways, prone to violence at times, but he never physically hurt her, he broke all the windows in her car (which he said he regretted) and threatened to kill her. All of this is very serious of course and escalating, but at least he is abiding by the restraining order. He does work hard. I'm hoping he gets a wise judge who puts him into therapy and anger management, things he desperately needs. And of course he needs to acknowledge that threatening to kill somebody is very serious and that is what landed him in jail, not his girlfriend reporting it to the police, his threatening text messages put him there, she merely protected herself quite wisely.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Uh Huh. He breaks all her windows, sends her text messages threatening to kill her, oh but he's never physically hurt her.

Please forgive me for not finding this very believable.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, he may not have hurt her. Yet.

He's jealous, prone to fits of rage, and violent. He may never hit a partner -- but I sure wouldn't be surprised. It's a common escalation.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe him when he says he never hit her. The young fellow is very transparent, he has never lied to me. He is to open and honest for his own good at times. He has a new girlfriend and doesn't have any contact with his ex, if he did he would be right back in jail.

But your right in that he could escalate to getting violent with someone. At any rate, I really wish he would get some anger management, he seems to have a fatalistic view of his short temper, it's like "I have a short temper so the army or the UFC", in other words he can't control it so he wants to vent it in arenas that allow it. But the problem is it has to be controlled in those environements, you still need self control when your in the UFC or the army. He is a long ways away from the UFC and he may not join the army, and he has to get off probation before he can join the army anyway. He has checked out two MMA schools, that kind of training may or may not be good for him. Hopefully the teacher will know about his problem, I live in a small town as does he, there are few secrets.

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Joab,

I didn't read all the posts and coming into this late. Here's my two cents.

This is an unfortunate stereotype of the Army. Infantry units also get assigned peace keeping missions. It's not always about pulling the trigger and shooting the enemy.

Your friend will have a difficult time in any branches of the service with unchecked anger issues.

I edited out the underlines, for anyone wondering what Chris was talking about. Well, the Army will be very aware of his record should they take him. I saw him talking to an Army recruiter, the angry young man told me he will "probably join the Army" than went on to say the Army or the UFC with his anger problem.

Well, Chris makes a good point, somebody with his anger problem with guns would be dangerous. Than again, if they can control the anger and direct it at Al Qaeda in Afghanistan it might work out. Why isn't this guy in jail? He got bailed out by his grandfather. Jail only made him more angry. The Army has dealt with angry young men before, it might work out. Than again, I'm sure the UFC has its share of angry young men and he wouldn't have a gun.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Joab,

I didn't read all the posts and coming into this late. Here's my two cents.

This is an unfortunate stereotype of the Army. Infantry units also get assigned peace keeping missions. It's not always about pulling the trigger and shooting the enemy.

Your friend will have a difficult time in any branches of the service with unchecked anger issues.

I'm not sure I would classify the young man as a friend, more a coworker that I'm concerned about. To update the situation, he is going to court today, please pray that he has a wise judge and justice prevails. Hopefully the judge will require him to take anger management, something he obviously really needs.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The amount of money invested in a soldier's training is staggering and they want a return on their investment in the form of a disciplined, intelligent killing machine that can operate competently under extreme stress and tell the difference between a freind and an enemy. I'd say let him try basic training, see if he can even get in with his history. While the army won't put up with his BS they are a conduit, rather, experts at tough love.

While the army provides income, MMA training doesn't (unless someone wants to sponsor you which is very unlikely in his case). That's quite a personal investment of money time and effort which is unlikely to pay off financially for most people.

A person has to want to be helped. They need to acknowledge they have a problem in order to feel there's something to be helped. I think he needs a taste of his own medicine to develop some empathy but can't begin to suggest where he could get that.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would you train arm bars with someone with anger issues? Punching and kicking are bad enough but part of the training that comes into letting a person execute a technique on you is that you have a high level of trust that the person is not going to injure you. Long before you get in the ring to go nuts there are a lot of people who have to have both trust and confidence in you as a good training partner

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
An update for those who are interested, the judge slapped him on the wrist. A lot of the charges against the young man were dropped, he only has a rather informal probation for a year, the judge did not require him to go through anger management. He won't be able to join the army until he completes his probation. He got a bad judge unfortunately, he really needs anger management.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An update for those who are interested, the judge slapped him on the wrist. A lot of the charges against the young man were dropped, he only has a rather informal probation for a year, the judge did not require him to go through anger management. He won't be able to join the army until he completes his probation. He got a bad judge unfortunately, he really needs anger management.

That's a shame it wasn't ordered. I will keep him in my prayers and hope he makes some good choices as he moves forward.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
An update regarding the young man with an anger problem. He let his anger get the best of him again, and had something of a flip out at work. Nobody was hurt nor property, but he made quite the scene. Now he is unemployed, and there arn't a lot of jobs in this area right now. This could mean he ends up back in jail ultimately, as this was part of the conditions of his parole, that he keep a job. So, any prayers for the young fellow are appreciated, he is a troubled young man who is on a rather undistinguished road at the moment.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
An update regarding the young man with an anger problem. He let his anger get the best of him again, and had something of a flip out at work. Nobody was hurt nor property, but he made quite the scene. Now he is unemployed, and there arn't a lot of jobs in this area right now. This could mean he ends up back in jail ultimately, as this was part of the conditions of his parole, that he keep a job. So, any prayers for the young fellow are appreciated, he is a troubled young man who is on a rather undistinguished road at the moment.

Sad as it may sound, I'm not surprised to hear any of this. As I've said, part of changing something about your life is having the desire to want to change. This guy knew that he needed to keep a job as part of his probation and look what he does. Its a shame. Hopefully things'll work out for him down the road. Otherwise, he's going to find himself living in prison.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sad as it may sound, I'm not surprised to hear any of this. As I've said, part of changing something about your life is having the desire to want to change. This guy knew that he needed to keep a job as part of his probation and look what he does. Its a shame. Hopefully things'll work out for him down the road. Otherwise, he's going to find himself living in prison.

According to a fellow worker, the young man told him that he was tired of being told what to do. Well, what job doesn't involve people telling you what to do? He will get a lot of that if he ever joins the Army, which he can't do until he is off probation. He is going to try to get a job with Target, but he will find out that they will tell him what to do as well. I think this guy needs counseling and possibly some medication prescribed by a pschiatrist as well. He made quite the scene at work, I'm just glad nobody got hurt and no property was damaged.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
According to a fellow worker, the young man told him that he was tired of being told what to do. Well, what job doesn't involve people telling you what to do? He will get a lot of that if he ever joins the Army, which he can't do until he is off probation. He is going to try to get a job with Target, but he will find out that they will tell him what to do as well. I think this guy needs counseling and possibly some medication prescribed by a pschiatrist as well. He made quite the scene at work, I'm just glad nobody got hurt and no property was damaged.

He doesn't like being told what to do? I agree with you...what job, unless you're your own boss, doesn't have someone telling you what to do? Additionally, I'll add that this guy will find himself being told what to do all the time in prison. When he can eat, when he can use the phone, when he can shower, when he can have visits, when he can have rec. time, when he can come out of his cell, when he has to go back in his cell, what he can/can't have in his cell.

Latest Discussions