Thank You to Some of the Greatest

Burnerbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I started Martial Arts Training in 1963 and have had the pleasure of training and meeting some of the greatest "Martial Artists" of all tomes. Some who are no longer with us. :wah: They all helped me become the person I am today.

Master Eugene Percerval, Master Chuck Merriman, Master and O-Sensei Peter Urban, Master Richard Barathy, Grand Master S. Henry Cho, Grand Master Rhin Moon Chun, Shihan Hagihari, Grand Master Yammaguci, Grand Master Edmund Parker, in my tournament days: Skipper Mullins,Chuck Norris,Bob Taiani,Joe Lewis, Bill "Superfoot" Wallace just to name a few.
Thank you all for making me the person I am today

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is nice to see someone just start a thread to thank all you have given them so much.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, so I have to ask. It's great that all those Martial Arts Super Stars made you the man you are today but that does leave me with just one little question. Who the heck are you?

OP
B

Burnerbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am a teacher,master, and adviser in my trade of many years. Learning,sparring and listening to these "Greats" gave me the inner strength to pursue my goals when others told me I would not survive. Survival is this not what the true spirit of Bushido means ?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I studied under some "greats" whose names would not be recognized by others but who had a big influence on me!

OP
B

Burnerbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
One of my main reasons was not to flaunt who I know, rather I've seen them questioned here and felt that rather then show faults and bad opinions let everyone know that they exceled in what they did. JMO

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I started Martial Arts Training in 1963 and have had the pleasure of training and meeting some of the greatest "Martial Artists" of all tomes. Some who are no longer with us. :wah: They all helped me become the person I am today.

Master Eugene Percerval, Master Chuck Merriman, Master and O-Sensei Peter Urban, Master Richard Barathy, Grand Master S. Henry Cho, Grand Master Rhin Moon Chun, Shihan Hagihari, Grand Master Yammaguci, Grand Master Edmund Parker, in my tournament days: Skipper Mullins,Chuck Norris,Bob Taiani,Joe Lewis, Bill "Superfoot" Wallace just to name a few.

A question to you.

My old teacher, Kennith Burchem, studied with Pereval, do you know or know of Marvin Stein, Sonny Tommasso or Ken Burchem?

Thank you.

OP
B

Burnerbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A question to you.

My old teacher, Kennith Burchem, studied with Perceval, do you know or know of Marvin Stein, Sonny Tomaso or Ken Burchem?

Thank you.
Yes knew them well Long Beach Road, Oceanside NY.
Marvin "Mickey" Stein died after a head-on crash with a Tractor Trailer.
Sonny I believed died from Cancer. They along with Master Perceval owned the Do-Chang. I vaguely remember Ken also Warren M. who originated ACK. I also studied Judo and GoJu (Chuck Merriman before he moved to Conn.) at "Judo Academy of Long Island."
We all competed at Ki Whang Kim's Washington, DC invitationals up until I left for the Army in 1968.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It is nice to see someone just start a thread to thank all you have given them so much.

I agree and I am a bit perturbed with how quickly people are giving the OP guff, he never said that these were the only "greats" just ones he knows.

Instead of knocking someone else down and getting that temporary, hollow satisfaction from masking your own insecurities, by cutting someone else down, name those teachers who have trained and inspirred you, whether they are known or not. Many of us call our Sensei "The best Jujutsu instructor you never heard of." His name is David Lamond.

Here is some of mine

My step dad- Walter Wilczek Muay Thai, TKD and "Polish Karate" . Pop gave me my philosophy on MA for SD, taught me to kick at knees instead of heads, use palms, headbutts and knees and fight dirty and win at all cost, for thwe price could be your life or limbs. (Upstate NY 84-86)
Mr Kennith J. Burcham- TKD but also introduiced my to Judo, Aikido but most importantly to me, old school standing Jujutsu, he started my search. He also gave me a positive male role model and was like a father to me when I really needed it, the man kept me from going to far astray. (So Fla 86-88)
John Morrison- American Kenpo Karate, a darn good instructor and a great guy, there are 3 techniques that are a big part of my arsenal that came from him. (So Fla 93 )

Sensei David Lamond- Icho Yama Ryu Aiki Jujutsu, Daito Ryu Aiki Jujutsu Kodo-Kai.
I knew in 5 minutes of my first class with him that I would study with him for the rest of our time on Earth. He had the kind of Jujutsu I was looking for, he is incredible at it, had a real street mindset that fit in with my hard learned lessons about streetfighting and is a good man to know. (N.Va 97-Present)

The late Col. James Raymond "Trooper" Tirey US Army (Ret)- Icho Yama Ryu, Daito Ryu, Knife fighting (Korean, Filipino, Western, Military) Improvissed weapons and the relation between Military tactics and Personal combat.

Jim was Daves #2, but was a very exp. anmd profficient martial artist who studied all over the world, but stayed loyal to Dave till he died last year at 54. He was an SF Officer, who worked in Covert Ops the world over and led some impressive men into harm's way, on missions that are still classified, yet he did not flaunt or wear on his sleeve his accomplishments. He introducred me to Filipino MA and trained me in knifefighting and other weapons.
More importantly, he was my Sempai, my mentor and beloved friend.
The man saved my life through his councel, assistence and example.
He is my template for how the Sempai of a Dojo and Kai should carry himself and I try my hardist to live up to it. (N.Va 97-2007, but his lesson carry on)

Dr. David Wink- Pekiti Tarsia, Pencal Silat, Full contact wepons sparring.
Dave and the Dog Brother's Eric Knaus were training partners way back in their days at Inosanto's Acadamy and under Leo Gaje.
A cnacer researcher by trade, Dave is the gentle warrior type.
Nice, fun, outgoing, but a deadly martial artist and knows when it's time to be civil and when it's time to be down right evil.
I am honored he asked my training partner and myself to join his school after Jim's death. (They trained together and were blending Aiki-Combat Jujutsu with Filipino/Indonesian martial arts) (Crosstraining 01-04, student 07-present)

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes knew them well Long Beach Road, Oceanside NY.
Marvin "Mickey" Stein died after a head-on crash with a Tractor Trailer.
Sonny I believed died from Cancer. They along with Master Perceval owned the Do-Chang. I vaguely remember Ken also Warren M. who originated ACK. I also studied Judo and GoJu (Chuck Merriman before he moved to Conn.) at "Judo Academy of Long Island."
We all competed at Ki Whang Kim's Washington, DC invitationals up until I left for the Army in 1968.

It's a small world!
Ken would tell me sory after story about those guys and many other artist he has trained with, fought and known.

WE must talk in the future sir.

Thank you and SHUGYO!

Dylan Z. Thomas, 4th Dan Icho Yama Ryu (I know that would make Ken very happy that I have reched this level in JJ and that I keep going.)

OP
B

Burnerbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The best is $10 a month, and even those who could not afford it we passed the hat to help them out. :wink:

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would like to thank my Sensei Shimabukuro Eizo. Not only has he changed my training for the better but he and the Okinawans have made me look at life in an entirely different way.

Arigato Sensei!

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The best is $10 a month, and even those who could not afford it we passed the hat to help them out. :wink:

Now that is a Dojo!

I cleaned Master Park's Dojang, answered phones and help with the kid's class when I studied with Ken, to pay for my training.

Our Dojo cost $50 a month, no contracts.
Test fee $7, it covers the price of the belt and deploma.
About $200 for Shodan, because he goes all out and get your belt embroiderd in Japanes, and frames the deploma and Kamban.

The man has no greed, I would pay 2xs as much if need be.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of my main reasons was not to flaunt who I know, rather I've seen them questioned here and felt that rather then show faults and bad opinions let everyone know that they exceled in what they did. JMO
Agreed. I learned alot from Darnell Garcia years ago. But when I mention it I get a wrath of crap. It's unfortunate the path he chose BUT I still learned alot from him.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Those who contributed to your training are those who are most important to you - and that's all that matters. One of my proudest moments was when one of my TKD students, in his speech to his class, attributed his high school graduation in part to things he had learned from my class about perseverance, focus, determination, and goal-setting. Who cares who else knows who I am? I know that I made a difference - as my instructor has done for me. What else matters?

Latest Discussions