Thailand Muay Thai/MMA Experience

Mar10

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I am a 29 yo from Germany who started training mma 9 months ago as the world of martial arts totally soaked me in. As I am kinda old for startiung martial arts I want to get work in asap in order to improve fast and get some fighting experience rather sooner than later. Before settling in and building my life in good old germany I want to go for a last crazy ride, quitting my job and intensively training muay thai plus also some grappling in thailand if possible.

After doing some research, all I find is muay thai camps that include accommodation and catering as a whole. I would like to find a flat to stay on my own and just train at a good gym without purchasing a complete camp-package as a whole. I don't need to travel, I prefer a boring *** - eat, train , sleep and repeat - life for a couple months.

So I wonder if some of you experienced a similar trip to thailand planned on your own, getting a visa, finding a permanent flat and training at a great local gym. If so, I would be glad if you could share your experience and let me know whether you recommend sticking to those all inclusive training camps or if planning everything on yourself actually makes a better experience. Is there anything you need to take into consideration that hasn't been obvious in the first place?

Best
Marten

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been to Thailand but not for camp training.
From what I can gather the full camp experience is not for the faint of heart. However it's those hardships that while they suck when your in it, your thankful for afterwards because you really earned the bragging rights.
I would suggest before you go "all in", take some time to travel there for a short time. Visit a few places and a few gyms learn about the culture. See if you can tolerate the food. Many parts of Thailand are still like a 3rd world country, no running hot water or toilet. Showers would be unheard of. You get a source of cold water and a bowl.
There are other places where standard of living is quite good but your going to pay for it and those high end places might not be near the gym you want to go to.
Good luck. it will be the adventure of your life and something you will aways look back upon and smile

MuayJitsu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Honestly these days you really don’t need to go to Thailand for training back in the olden days when the sport wasn’t as evolved around the world then yeah sure but now you have very elite gyms everywhere with guys who’ve trained in Thailand running them and people who’ve fought in Thailand etc just find a good place locally and work you don’t need to go over there to fight you can fight anywhere these days and honestly I’ve heard plenty of stories of a lot of corruption in fight promotion over there. If I was looking to fight I wouldn’t wanna go over there as a white guy as they could easily feed me to some guy whos had 300 fights (happened to a friend of mine he got smashed open and knocked out cold against a guy who had 350 fights compared to his 8)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A good friend of mine went to China and learned Taiji from a Taiji master. She came back to US with a bad knee for the rest of her life.

If you want to train how to fight, try to form your own fighting club. If you can spar 15 rounds daily, you will become a good fighter after 3 years.

OP
M

Mar10

White Belt
Reaction score
First of all, thanks for your replies.

So the thing is, I have been training muay thai, wrestling and jiu jitsu for quite a few months now including technical sessions, strength and conditioning as well as technical and hard sparring rounds.

Just living costs in germany are quite high compared to thailand so I belive focusing on just train/eat/rest/repeat for a couple months is way cheaper country like thailand. Plus you get to experience a new culture.

Working 8 hours+ and training frequently is very hard when it comes to consistency, which is why I thought having a couple months off just focusing on training will get you way further. That in my home country is very expensive compared to thailand I belive.

Latest Discussions