Thai-Japan Gym Muay Thai

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Today I had a great session at the Thai-Japan Gym in Bangkok. Did weights for a while and then went to hit the heavy bag. The Thai trainers watched me for awhile and started asking me how many fights I'd had and all kinds of other questions and I was like "uh none." I think they wanted me to fight one of their fighters. They helped me with my technique after that and then I stopped to watch their fighters spar shin on shin with no gear but boxing gloves. I was impressed and thought it looked like fun.....so I asked if I could spar too. They put me in with one of the fighters and I was fully ready to get seriously hurt. I had never sparred shin on shin, especially shin on bare head/face! I would normally like to wear a helmet if they have no shin pads. But off we went and I was shocked and surprised how little the shin on shin hurt when you're pumped up. I kicked him lightly in the head and the trainers laughed at him so he stepped it up a bit. He threw a slew of kicks at my head but luckily I blocked them all.....I didn't have to find out what bare shin feels like on bare head/face. I have a habit of blocking kicks with my elbow/arm instead of shielding when I am under pressure and my arms took a beating! I already knew that you shield to avoid getting your arm disabled by a shin kick but when you actually do it for real it is surprising how fast it can wear your arm down. Don't get me wrong, this guy was going easy on me....I have no illusions about that. He did ring my bell a few times but all in all I was very happy and excited with how things went since we were only wearing boxing gloves. He had very good hands for a Thai fighter but as usual his kicks were lightning fast. This was a great experience and can't wait to jump in the ring with another one of them. I've been training every day this week so think I'll take tomorrow (Friday) off and rest my sore muscles and bruises.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

M

muayThaiPerson

cool. i cant stand bare shin contact. i get real scared.

Latest Discussions