Testing Board Honorariums

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am minded to invite some of the area school owners and instructors to be guest judges at our inaugural belt test.

What is a typical suggested fee for their time (approximately 2 hours)?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cool idea.
But since I was always slave labor force, I could not begin to tell you.

I would think that either :
a) dinner
or b) ask them

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cool idea.
But since I was always slave labor force, I could not begin to tell you.

I would think that either :
a) dinner
or b) ask them

We'll definitely have a group BBQ to which they'll be invited. But I don't want to ask. Seems a bit improper to me :) and I don't to put them on the spot.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, some people these days still like to do stuff for free to help a fellow out and could get insulted about being offered money in return.

It's not an easy question to ask, but as the German Sesame Street song puts it: who does not ask stays dumb.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, some people these days still like to do stuff for free to help a fellow out and could get insulted about being offered money in return.

A three-pack of Cracker Jacks it is, along with some pocket lint. :ultracool

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The instructor I invite come to help and I just take them to dinner and when they invite me it is the same thing. But for Cracker Jacks I am in.
icon14.gif

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We'll definitely have a group BBQ to which they'll be invited. But I don't want to ask. Seems a bit improper to me :) and I don't to put them on the spot.

Just ask...offer dinner or lunch or whatever. That should be enough. If you have to offer money then their heart is not truely there to test you kids, but to line their pockets. Another gesture would be a small token like a plaque commemorating their dedication to helping others in the martial arts, or something like that.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just ask...offer dinner or lunch or whatever. That should be enough. If you have to offer money then their heart is not truely there to test you kids, but to line their pockets. Another gesture would be a small token like a plaque commemorating their dedication to helping others in the martial arts, or something like that.

When I've been given honorariums before myself for non-MA activities, they've never been offered. Routinely they're just given at the conclusion of the event along with any other small gift, such as the plaque or certificate of appreciation.

I imagine we'll just discretely include a decorative envelope with a small sum of money along with the judging packet/forms. Enough to be respectful, such as the hourly wage for a skilled professional, but it certainly won't be any huge amount.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My only experience being given an honorarium was $50 to serve on a BB testing board. When I have my sister school travel 210 miles to sit on my board, I buy them lunch.

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have set on several review boards for other schools, and the best thing I have received has been dinner afterwards (normally the test have been in the evenings). On one all day Saturday test, I was given $100, a nice certificate of appreciation and dinner. The dinner was the best part.

If you are having a BBQ after the testing, invite them to the table, serve them first, and that should be fine. If you feel you need to add money, give it to them discretely.

I do ask that you actually listen to their input. In most, if not all, of the test I set on the panel on, it was just for looks as my comments, and the comments of the other guest black belts on the panel, were not listened to if they were negative in any way, and the only way a person should sit on the panel is giving their professional opinion!

Yes, I know that they know more about the student and what they have progressed from/to, but if you are in a system such as Judo, Kendo, TSD, TKD, there are semi set requirements of standard (even if most schools don't follow them), that the person should be graded against!

Tony49

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I always provide food and a thank you card. If the come from a distance, I usually provided travel expense and lodging usually my home.