Testimonies of Iraq War Veterans and Their Families

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Historians Against the War has just published a 24-page pamphlet entitled Join Us? Testimonies of Iraq War Veterans and Their Families, edited by Carl Mirra of SUNY College at Old Westbury. The complete pamphlet, a project of HAW’s Oral History Working Group, includes testimony from six veterans of the Iraq war, from the mother of a National Guard soldier who died in Iraq and from Army veteran Ann Wright, who resigned from the State Department to protest the Iraq invasion.

http://artvoice.com/issues/v5n26/listen_to_me

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
As someone who served in the British armed forces in Iraq, I can honestly say I agree with them. Not only on their opinions of the war, but also of the politicians in charge. Pointless war, for a pointless cause, for rich white men in suits with vested interests in the oil industry. Oh, and Blair was just too weak to stand up to Bush. Bloody lapdog!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Testimonies will never end...we got so many more future wars yet..?

Maybe Korea again? Europe? or South America-someplace...Cuba? Um?

Sad only the young dies.....WHY? because 18/19 years will follow orders without questions and can be influence to fight.

That is why we do not draft older man first....think about it...Why 18/19 years old join, or get drafted?

Young men/women are not ready to face those horrible situtions of people trying to kill them and learning to kill others....we were not brought up that way...so when to go to wars...total different life style that one never get use too.....

If you family was always fighting in wars and you grew up with killings/deaths around you....than wars will be acceptable for `18/19 year old kids...

Sad for the ones who returns only to be treated like everyone else...like nothing ever happens.............Aloha

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not gonna get involved in a "right or wrong" debate about being there...

But ive talked to a couple guys personally who came back, who dont really feel the same way as the... 6? Outlined above.

Keep in mind you will get both sides, if you talk to enough people, so its very easy to get support, no matter what your position, simply by ignoring the information from the side with opposing viewpoints.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
I'm not gonna get involved in a "right or wrong" debate about being there...

But ive talked to a couple guys personally who came back, who dont really feel the same way as the... 6? Outlined above.

Keep in mind you will get both sides, if you talk to enough people, so its very easy to get support, no matter what your position, simply by ignoring the information from the side with opposing viewpoints.

That's the impression I've gotten as well. When I turn on the radio, a right-wing talk show will have one set of veterans "telling it how it really is", and left-wing talk radio will have a different set of veterans "telling it how it really is". I've heard many different views from different people who were there as well.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I feel for these new veterans, especially the National Guard ones, who never expected to be used as fodder in a foreign war.

I also truly feel for those who answered the call, and are now being screwed by the government and military which they served. Especially those now lying in a vegetative state, being denied proper medical care, and threatened with loss of what little they do get, by a lying, unfeeling and uncaring system. For those who might say "that doesn't happen", I have 2 words for you, as that is happening, right now, to a friend of a very close friend of mine.

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kensai said:
As someone who served in the British armed forces in Iraq, I can honestly say I agree with them. Not only on their opinions of the war, but also of the politicians in charge. Pointless war, for a pointless cause, for rich white men in suits with vested interests in the oil industry. Oh, and Blair was just too weak to stand up to Bush. Bloody lapdog!

blair was even more eager than bush. the man is not a liar. he truly beleives in the war. if you need to condemn him, don't do it for weakness.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
jazkiljok said:
blair was even more eager than bush. the man is not a liar. he truly beleives in the war. if you need to condemn him, don't do it for weakness.

Ummm... Riiiight. Blair may have been "as eager", but if you think Blair's not a liar, then you are misguided. And please don't lecture me on my feelings for that war. If you were there, I'll listen, if you were an armchair general, then my point stands.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
I feel for these new veterans, especially the National Guard ones, who never expected to be used as fodder in a foreign war.
First off; I am a Veteran. I served from 88-92. For the record I still have friends serving and also have lost a friend to the current War in Iraq. That being said, here's my 0.02.

There has not been a draft in the U.S.A. since the Vietnam War. Therefore, these "new veterans" willingly and voluntarily chose to join the MILITARY. Nobody forced them to join. The National Guard as well as Reserves are part of the MILITARY. The MILITARY is used for fighting, wheather it be in supposed defense of our nation or in an offensive action ordered by our nations government.

Bob Hubbard said:
I also truly feel for those who answered the call, and are now being screwed by the government and military which they served. Especially those now lying in a vegetative state, being denied proper medical care, and threatened with loss of what little they do get, by a lying, unfeeling and uncaring system. For those who might say "that doesn't happen", I have 2 words for you, as that is happening, right now, to a friend of a very close friend of mine.

No argument from me there. Vet's get a huge steaming dump taken on them in return for their sacrifices.

Latest Discussions