Tell us about your home gym....

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There are a lot of great uses for it. max out the weight and the setting to get max extension. It will get the spots the squats and lunge don’t get. Give it a shot. Knee lifts and pulls from oblique positions. Gotta get creative. Not just for ladies.
I wasn´t calling you a Sissy..;). as i wrote before on this thread might be a good exercise for some people.
I´ve used cables, bands..even "Iron Boots" in my reha of a knee injury in 1999.
I wouldn´t recommend Iron boots now though but worked for me. I also think that when people say, "oh but i can´t train this muscle in a gym" .. in my experience they´ve two problems..
(1 )no real knowlede of anatomy or Physiology
(2) no real knowledge of free weight training (only machines)

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wasn´t calling you a Sissy..;). as i wrote before on this thread might be a good exercise for some people.
I´ve used cables, bands..even "Iron Boots" in my reha of a knee injury in 1999.
I wouldn´t recommend Iron boots now though but worked for me. I also think that when people say, "oh but i can´t train this muscle in a gym" .. in my experience they´ve two problems..
(1 )no real knowlede of anatomy or Physiology
(2) no real knowledge of free weight training (only machines)
I didnt take offense. Just saying I like that machine because you can come up with a bunch of unusual ways to use it.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
how to destroy your knees. high rep squats ..end of story. Go in a gym, forget all the "Goofy" exercises from 200 years ago. exercise Physiology has moved on. I recommend this guys channel..

Repetition is NOT a good thing, one wears out the joints. People did not realize you are born with one set of cartridge, they are not like bones that more you stress, the stronger they get. You wear out the cartridge, it's GONE.

People think weight training is simple, they really missed the moon. There are different ways of training every group of muscles, I read about in stretch position, peak contraction and heavy middle position and all that. One needs to rotate the exercise. Going 4 to 5 reps of heavy weights, to up to 20 reps of lighter weights.................. It's not as complicate as MA training, BUT one doesn't just push the weights.

The stupid thing is a lot of those TMA people still spread the lie that more muscle will get in the way of your movement and slow you down. I think they are just lazy and jealous because they are skin and bones. Look at the fighters in UFC, very muscular, even the very light weight people have muscles. Don't tell me they are slow. Get into the Octagon, then tell me whether muscle is useful or not.

Not to mention, weight training promote recovery. My back was so injured in the 80s I could not stand for 2 minutes without tingling going down my legs to the toe. It's the weight training they put me on saved my life. I am sure those "Goofy" exercises would not help me.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I personally still like barbell squats but he has some good points if you listen to him

Too bad my back cannot take it. I was having a ball doing 265lbs, then I felt a pinch on my back, almost dropped the barbell. Had to rest for 2 weeks for that!!!! No barbell squat from that onward for me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
how to destroy your knees. high rep squats ..end of story. Go in a gym, forget all the "Goofy" exercises from 200 years ago. exercise Physiology has moved on. I recommend this guys channel..

1. People still wreck their knees in the gym doing modern stuff. Any exercise that moves the joint has the potential to damage it, either through force or through wear and tear. The best way to guard against knee injuries to to make sure that the correct technique is being used.

2. Unfortunately it's not the same thing. Walking in a low stance or standing in one engages different sets of muscles. It's not all about the legs. Other parts of the body's muscular structure will be worked out as well. Some of the "Old exercises" are still used today in modern medicine.

Tai Chi is full of old stuff but many doctors prescribe it as a form of beneficial exercise for seniors.

The biggest cause of injury in any activity will often be because of bad technique. A horse stance will destroy the knees if the technique is bad causing the user to overload the joints. A dead lift will destroy the back if the techniuqe is bad.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tai Chi is full of old stuff but many doctors prescribe it as a form of beneficial exercise for seniors.
what are you exactly talking about rehabilitation? then no . I have never seen seniors do your "duck walk".
you have to remember most people particually seniors are carrying injuries and so at times do not have a full range of movement in their limbs.
It is much better and safer to use a leg press machine or another machine to work a bodypart. The guy in the video is probably early 30s. reality is not like this in an everyday clinic.
where i live i see a lot of seniors riding a bycycle..why ? it´s good exercise and no strain on their joints. Walking in a "duck walk" for a senior or other people with an injury is just ridiculous. Sure i can pull out 100 videos out of youtube to argue but i worked for years with all age groups & in our back reha clinic.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
what are you exactly talking about rehabilitation? then no . I have never seen seniors do your "duck walk".
I'm not sure what seniors and duck walk have to do with anything? Tai Chi is prescribed for seniors. Duck walk is just an exercise that is old that is still done by people who still have mobility.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
No home gym, but I do solo train a lot! I run a roughly 2600sqft school and I go in there a lot during off hours to solo train and sometimes invite some friends to join. I primarily use heavy bags, resistance bands, kettle bells, and our pullup bars when I solo train. When the summer is nice I go to a local nature trail, lift rocks and felled trees for strength training and do a light jog to the lake at the end. If you are dedicated enough any place can be a gym.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Charles bronson the late actor was a great example of fitness with the bare bones. He did rope climbing with just arms to work his pulling muscles & push ups for the so called pushing muscles. Ripped to the bone.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I don't get too crazy with my stuff. Some exercises, even the modern ones look like bad ideas for me.
the thing i always say to people is this, not every bodybuilding champions routine will work for you, not every exercise is compatable for your body. Not every training system is for you. you need to find out what works for you.
I feel the same way about martial arts.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
the thing i always say to people is this, not every bodybuilding champions routine will work for you, not every exercise is compatable for your body. Not every training system is for you. you need to find out what works for you.
I feel the same way about martial arts.
Even if you find an effective exercise, after like 2 months, you need to change as the effectiveness will disappear and you need new ones even for the same group of muscle.

It is constant changing, constant experimenting. I am open to old ways for training, just not the goofy ones.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Even if you find an effective exercise, after like 2 months, you need to change as the effectiveness will disappear and you need new ones even for the same group of muscle.
"If it aint broke why fix it" ýou can use principles to intensify it.
pre-exhaust, supersets, negative reps , .. i think you know this Alan you old Fox ..lol
sure maybe i can do machine press or maybe Dumbbell presses... lots you can do.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"If it aint broke why fix it" ýou can use principles to intensify it.
pre-exhaust, supersets, negative reps , .. i think you know this Alan you old Fox ..lol
sure maybe i can do machine press or maybe Dumbbell presses... lots you can do.
lately, I have been doing peak hold.
Static curl.jpg

I started doing this, hold for 40sec each set, 4 sets. Believe it or not, I gain 1/4" on my arm in a month.....IN my old age!!! This is something I never did before, always dumbbells. Just keep experimenting.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
lately, I have been doing peak hold.
View attachment 28964

I started doing this, hold for 40sec each set, 4 sets. Believe it or not, I gain 1/4" on my arm in a month.....IN my old age!!! This is something I never did before, always dumbbells. Just keep experimenting.
i could tell from your posts that you are a weight trainer. not sure about the arm size but i´ll take your word for it .
I myself am a fan of Mike mentzer..not so crazy as he was but more is not always better..less but intensity & rest is key.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i could tell from your posts that you are a weight trainer. not sure about the arm size but i´ll take your word for it .
I myself am a fan of Mike mentzer..not so crazy as he was but more is not always better..less but intensity & rest is key.
I don't have big arms, don't have the genetics no matter what I do. My best is only 16", now as I get old, down to 15" now. Nothing to show for. After 63 or 64, the muscle shrink!!! I used to push 225lbs bench a few reps, 3 years ago, only 185lbs.

I am just keep doing it. Hey, my mother was on a wheel chair at my age!!!

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have big arms, don't have the genetics no matter what I do. My best is only 16", now as I get old, down to 15" now. Nothing to show for. After 63 or 64, the muscle shrink!!! I used to push 225lbs bench a few reps, 3 years ago, only 185lbs.

I am just keep doing it. Hey, my mother was on a wheel chair at my age!!!
I´m 56 now but still do my workouts. We all adapt as we are getting into our "Golden years" ..hahaha but honestly i like your training with the bands you have. I don´t squat like i used to as i feel it now in my right knee. was due to my military service but that´s another story. I am always looking for new suggestions but mainly stick to basics. never too old to learn.

Latest Discussions