Tell me about your first day of training..

351C

White Belt
Reaction score
My first day of training was tonight! I am 43 years old and I joined a Hap Ki Do class along with my 9 year old son and 11 year old daughter. It was my son who I was a little worried about initially. He has been diagnosed with Aspergers and lacks a little coordination. And like his dad is a bit of a couch potato. Well I should have been worried about myself! I am slightly overweight (5’-10” 200lbs) and haven’t done anything aerobic for quite awhile. I had to stop and catch my breath a few times and at one point thought I was going to pass out. I knew I was out of shape but didn’t realize how bad. My son and daughter breezed through the warm up and stretching without breaking a sweat. At one point I was wondering what I got myself into. I finally caught my breath and made it through the rest of the class. My daughter did great, she recently gave up Ballet which she had been doing for six years. Needless to say she was able to kick as high as her head pretty easily. My son needs a little work on form but I am extremely proud of how well he did. Can’t wait till the next class in two days!

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
351C said:
My first day of training was tonight! I am 43 years old and I joined a Hap Ki Do class along with my 9 year old son and 11 year old daughter. It was my son who I was a little worried about initially. He has been diagnosed with Aspergers and lacks a little coordination. And like his dad is a bit of a couch potato. Well I should have been worried about myself! I am slightly overweight (5’-10” 200lbs) and haven’t done anything aerobic for quite awhile. I had to stop and catch my breath a few times and at one point thought I was going to pass out. I knew I was out of shape but didn’t realize how bad. My son and daughter breezed through the warm up and stretching without breaking a sweat. At one point I was wondering what I got myself into. I finally caught my breath and made it through the rest of the class. My daughter did great, she recently gave up Ballet which she had been doing for six years. Needless to say she was able to kick as high as her head pretty easily. My son needs a little work on form but I am extremely proud of how well he did. Can’t wait till the next class in two days!

351C,

That is fantastic. I am interested in updates about your son. My nephew has Aspberger's as well and my brother has just moved his family to a new city and are looking for an MA for him there. Please pm and let me know how he is doing. Congrats to you and your daughte as well. I hope all of you find many great years in hapkido!

Lisa

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
351C said:

Sounds like a great start to me - good luck to you all, and congratulations on joining with your kids instead of just providing transportation. One of my best students is one who joined because his daughter wanted to, and didn't want to join alone.

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Walking up the stairs to the 2nd floor I noticed how marked up the walls & low ceiling were. Sifu was friendly & answered all of my questions as I filled out paper work. I distinctly remember him chuckling when I commnented a 45 minute class seemed short. Class began with a seven posture qi qong series. One through 5 were challenging but not too bad. #'s 6 & 7 were killers. Sifu was yelling at people to stay in the posture & stop grunting. Since it was my first class I was the only one allowed to get out of it. I tried my best to suffer with the rest of the class but I had never experienced such pain before. When it ended & my legs were shaking of their own accord. Then stance training started - my legs were already shot. Time slowed down as I strained to keep my body partially in the stances, it was pure agony. After the tourture ended, the first basic drill was taught - facing punch, side punch. Cool to be learning a technique but it required shifting from horse stance into bow stance. At this point I had no legs at all let alone a stance. Three star blocking arm conditioning followed next. It's a partner drill, lucky for me there was an uneven number students so I got to bang arms with an assistant instructor. Great for getting the finner points of the exersice but his bones were like iron. Once this concluded the pain in my forearms now equaled the pain in my legs. 45 minutes to the tee & my first class is burnend into my long term memory.

I was kind of upsest with my performance having decent athletic ability. Sifu reassured me that this was normal for all beginners & not to be too hard on myself as he walked me to the stairs. Grasping for support from the wall & ceiling I added my fingerprint smudges to the collection in the stairwell. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, I caught the bug & have been training ever since.

rustyself

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

bravo!

i am also interested in keeping updated on your family's progress. i also have my family involved, and applaud anyone who has fun with their children, especially in something as beneficial as the martial arts. let your son and daughter (and you as well), know we are all cheering you guys on!

Tang Soo!

351C

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement! We are about 7 or 8 lessons in and loving it. Both of my kids are doing really well. I’m surprised at how much better I feel after just two weeks. I really needed the exercise! The instructor does a great job of catering to our individual needs. My son was always scared of doing a somersault. He was finally able to do one without assistance the other night. The whole class gave him a big round of applause; he jumped up grinning ear to ear! We have a long way to go and I hope it stays as enjoyable as it is now! I hope it is going well for you, please tell me something about your family’s experience.

airdawg

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I didn't know what to expect. Kenpo was and still is a required class at the school I attended and I didn't even know what it was until my instructor explained it to me. Lets just say that all of my elective classes were taken up by Kenpo. I fell in love within minutes and still kick'n

El_Seepo

White Belt
Reaction score
It was after my first year at university and I realised that I had four months of free time. Rather than get a job like a responsible person I signed up for kenpo (LTKKA). The introductory lesson was a private with the head instructor, I think I learned the first haymaker defence that day and went home feeling invincible. :D

kodo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
On my first day of training, I was disapointed. All my dad would show me, was how to fall properly and how to do a correct push-up. Now, those two things are a part of me that are very strong and still very important. It would suck if I were trying to demonstrate grappling in the karate class and got the wind knocked out of me or something. I'm, also, amazed at many of the poor variations of pushups I've seen. I have never quite been able to understand how some cannot do a single push-up. Nothing against those folks, it's just amazing.

ares

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I study Shaolin Kempo, so I wanted to get into it when I had seen the movie "The Perfect Weapon". I thought WOW. I want to do that. So I went in and got totally lost in the class. I keep up with it because I also love learning. ares

NDNgirl4ever

Green Belt
Reaction score
My first lesson was tonight. I loved it. The workout was intense, but it felt good. Senesi and the other students are very nice and patient. I think I will stay with it.

thepanjr

Green Belt
Reaction score
I Can remember my first day as it was yesterday. Being a beginner learning these moves that i can't even understand. I was excited and thrilled to actually have joined martial arts. It all because of my past experiences with my friends and family that made me join karate. The first day had made me think how weak and immature i was back then. It would be nice to revisit the first day.

frizzbee

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, that was pretty much exactly a year ago. I can totally remember it. Actually, I've kind of had three of them.
First, I started with Shorin Ryu Karate - We started with this introductory lesson thing - I got my dad to take it with me, just cause I'm really shy. They were supposed to be private lessons, then if we decided we wanted to stick with it, we'd going the real class. We didn't even have belts yet. You had to get through these introductory classes before they'd give you a belt. But ANYWAY, the sensei wasn't there when we showed up and the senior instructor had to teach the next class - the beginer class - white to yellow belters. So he threw us in there. It was the coolest thing I'd ever done. I felt like a complete fool. I had no idea what I was doing. Everyone was more advanced than I - I was watching everyone else, and it was a kind of learn-as-you go thing. There wasn't a lot of explaining. But it was SO cool. We did pushups of course, and I don't know what else, but I was sore for days afterwards. My dad did not continue on, but I did - I was hooked.
And then I met an older man that we'd go sailing with sometimes (I live on a sailboat). We got talking about martial arts and he told me that he'd used to do kung fu. He was some sort of professional fighter/world champion. Anyway, he knew Kung fu. So I got up the courage to ask him if he'd work with me. It was SO cool. I mean, the man was so peaceful - I mean I love karate - but he talked like kung fu like it was spiritual, a way to live and achieve peace. The first lesson was in the parking lot of our marina. We had to a move a bit to get out of the way of cars, but he demonstrated to me some kung fu and then taught me some basic blocks and told me to work on them until I saw him again. I worked with him for about five months, but then he fell seriously ill. :(
But my contract ran out at the shorin ryu place, and I'd just been accepted at the University of south florida. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't afford to pay for karate on my own, but I couldn't give it up. I checked and they offered shotokan at my school. I signed up - my scholarship covered it, so I was set. I thought I was the big fish. I was a recently promoted blue belt, and had just moved into the intermediate advanced class - I thought... well, I was a bit over confidant. And it was HARD to switch styles. There are miniscule differences between the two styles, so I got confused all the time. The basics were the same, but some things, like the stances, felt widely different. But the coolest thing about switching to shotokan was that you get to do kata from the beginning. In my old style, we were not taught kata until we reached blue belt level. And not I've changed campuses again and am about to start at a new (shotokan) dojo. I've got to remind myself not to get cocky. I really don't know ANYTHING.
Sarah

KeeblerElf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My first day, I was really nervous, but it was a lot of fun, and my instructor is awesome. Since almost the entire class has never taken any martial arts instruction, he started out with the very basics and moves at a rate that everyone is comfortable with. I look forward to all my classes now.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first day, I was really nervous, but it was a lot of fun, and my instructor is awesome. Since almost the entire class has never taken any martial arts instruction, he started out with the very basics and moves at a rate that everyone is comfortable with. I look forward to all my classes now.

I'm glad that you really enjoyed your first class! Once you start, you're hooked.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
On my first lesson I met my instructor outside in the cafe area of the gym I am a member of. He was reading the paper and had the appearance of someone who was brimmming with energy and enthusiasm. I asked him how much the lesson was and if I was ok dressed in my jogging pants and we chatted for 20 minutes before going into the Dojang which was a gym studio surrounded by mirrors. He explained that the girls that were already members didn't arrive until 10 minutes last because of work reasons and talked me through a few things, about class structure and where his other classes were, that this was a beginners class and a bit of informal chat. The other turned up and we began. After a gruelling 10 minute warm up I realised I wasn't fit enough, vowed to remedy that and panting the three of us started doing the techniques he showed us. I can remember stood staring as he showed us how to do a side kick, and he held it to show how the body should be in perfect alignment, my second vow came there and then, I would do this, I would look that damn good and be able to hold positions like that. I was awestruck. After he showed us some very very practical self-defence moves, I realised this was my thing, this was what I wanted. I bit the bullet that day and ordered my Dobuk, I wasn't completely hooked at that point though, if someone had said "yes but such and such will do that and it's better because..." I might have gone and tried that too, but it didn't take long.

I'm still awestruck at my instructor now, he can still do things that make me gawp at him, and I bet that will happen for a long time yet.

yumeiko

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have had two first days of training

1) I was a freshman in high school and one of my friends that i had met in one of my classes was in this martial arts class, me being interested asked about it and she told me when it was meeting and where. I got there and they showed me how to punch properly and a few other things but mainly how to punch. At the end of class they had sparring and so the main sensei sat us against the wall and had the advance class go spread out on the floor. My friend said that he probably wouldn't have me spar since it was my first day, however, just then he called me up and paired me with a black belt that i had seen doing lots of kung fu... my first thoughts "i am going to be knocked on my butt in the first two seconds" though it turned out to be no contact for me. That first sparring session was my first lesson in how to block.

2)my second first day was my freshman year of college. I wanted to get back into the martial arts and so was going to a bunch of different call outs. I went to this one and one of the things sensei said during his introduction of the class was "we are a family, we have had people leave and come back and they are still family." It appealled to me and have decided to stay. How much of a family we are became very clear about two weeks ago when sensei was killed in a car crash, it hit everyone hard, including myself who hasn't been there a full year yet, he really was a second dad to me, and there were no secrets from him, try as I did he knew me better than anybody besides my parents and my best friend...

sorry for the long post i sometimes talk too much...:rolleyes:

Zida'sukara

Black Belt
Reaction score
My first day was a bit funny, I went to a beginners Seminar like training.

After seen all the ninja movies that you could possibly imagin, I thought that I would be klimbing in trees, learning to jump a few meters high and that I could use at least a few weapons after this training which was a training of a whole day. And the training would be like you see in the movies, a drilling like training with an militairy like trainer. (yes yes I know, I was a ninja movie freak)

Well....it was nothing like that. The trainer was a very friendly and nice person and all the others were also very nice and friendly. The training was almost without weapons and I think my trainer knew that I had this fantasy like image about ninjutsu. During the training he gave a little demonstration and he explained that a lot of people thought about ninjutsu like they have seen it in the movies. By saying it, he looked at me a lot and all of a sudden he said that ninjas do not jump meters high in a tree and he jumped very high after he said it. (at least I thought it was very high) Than he said that ninjas do not dissapear just like that and within less than a second he stood in front of me with a katana very close. Of course I was impressed but the main reason for joining was the friendly and wise atmosphere and I was very impressed of the possibilities of a human body. Well I never regretted it, the only thing that I regret is that I had to stop for such a long time and now have to start all over again.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How much of a family we are became very clear about two weeks ago when sensei was killed in a car crash, it hit everyone hard, including myself who hasn't been there a full year yet, he really was a second dad to me, and there were no secrets from him, try as I did he knew me better than anybody besides my parents and my best friend...

I am so sorry for your loss, it must hurt a lot.
I am glad you shared this with us though, it will help you heal.

fingalickingd

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to this forum and am starting my first day of Hapkido today. My 4-year-old son is also starting today as well. I know absolutely nothing about martial arts and am eager to share my experience with all of you. I see that many of you have so much experience and wonderful insight to share. It is a pleasure reading your posts.

Latest Discussions