Teen Pregnancies Tied To TV.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again...correlatoin does not equal causation. There are about a million othe factors between TV and Teen pregnancy.

Frankly, teens interest in sexual intercourse is likely more responsible for teen pregnancy than TV. it is also more liekly that teens who enjoy sex also tend to gravitate towards entertainment of a more mautre nautre (not the other way around as that study might suggest).

it is clear that the authors of the study had an agenda from the get go...that's just poor science and it takes us away from learning more to deal with the actual proibelm and it's underlying causes.

Sigh.

Peace,
Erik

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Alot of the guys I knew in highschool were typical "man-whores". Their only requirement was that the girl had to be breathing.

Whenever I talked to any of those guys about why they felt the need to have sex with that many people, their response was certainly not "Because I saw it on TV and thought it seemed like a cool idea." Their response was more along the lines of "It's like a drug. Once you try it, you're hooked."

So I would ask why they tried it to start with to get "hooked", and the response was always the same: "It's like a force of nature, man. If you start dating a girl, and you get 'in the moment', it's like something just takes over."

None of the responses I have ever received had anything remotely to do with movies or television...unless it involved "not watching" the movie or tv show.

It should be noted that I graduated in 2000. Highschool is a little behind me, but not so far that nothing I did would be relevant now.

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Alot of the guys I knew in highschool were typical "man-whores". Their only requirement was that the girl had to be breathing.

Whenever I talked to any of those guys about why they felt the need to have sex with that many people, their response was certainly not "Because I saw it on TV and thought it seemed like a cool idea." Their response was more along the lines of "It's like a drug. Once you try it, you're hooked."

So I would ask why they tried it to start with to get "hooked", and the response was always the same: "It's like a force of nature, man. If you start dating a girl, and you get 'in the moment', it's like something just takes over."

None of the responses I have ever received had anything remotely to do with movies or television...unless it involved "not watching" the movie or tv show.

It should be noted that I graduated in 2000. Highschool is a little behind me, but not so far that nothing I did would be relevant now.

I think that sums it up for my opinion too. Also in the group that says a lot of it is on Parents. Oh and I also graduated high school in 2000. :jediduel:

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There was a article in my local newspaper this week. All the "experts" were in agreement that tv etc was doing this..... they thought it a no brainer to blame this stuff. They never once mentioned parents not parenting.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a article in my local newspaper this week. All the "experts" were in agreement that tv etc was doing this..... they thought it a no brainer to blame this stuff. They never once mentioned parents not parenting.

Good post!

And sadly they never will either. I find it funny...well, more sad than funny, that some people can't help but do their best to find someone or something else to blame, instead of realizing that the fault lies with them, not the tv.

Its kinda like people who don't like the UFC and think it should be banned. Hmm..last I checked, it was $40+ to buy on PPV, sooooo......if you dont buy it, you dont get to watch it. If you buy it, nobody can claim that its Dana Whites fault their kids are exposed to it, but I'm sure someone will try. LOL!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen much American television but have heard and read that Americans here say there is very little sex on it compares to ours. I know that David Attenborough the naturalist said on a programme that it was 30 years after British tv showed animals mating before American television did!
This is interesting and seems to make more sense than blaming television.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_pregnancy

Latest Discussions