Teaching the basics

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last night there were only two guys at dojang late at night, myself and Pepe. Pepe is a 25 years old deaf yellow belt that giving his hearing problems needs some special teaching, I try my best to teach him using a blackboard or chalkboard and the use of singnals to make me understand.

Pepe was worried of only two guys at the dojang and I let him know that was ok and that we were to train something diferent, cause sambonim ask me to teach the class.

So we start with some warm up and stretching to then start with the basics, we did sets of olgul maki + ogul baro chirugi aimed to the chin, motong bakat maki + ogul baro chorugi aimed to the chin, montong an maki + paro ogul chirugi aimed to the chin. I use these technikes to show Pepe hanbon kyorugi in a real basic way, you know block an uncoming punch and counter with a cross to the chin, Pepe got the idea quickly.

We finished with some sets of crunches and that's was all for the night.

The nex thursday if sambonim allow us we are going to do some sets of hanbom kyorugi using what we learned and coupled with some take downs or arm locks.

I drove home glad for sharing a little of my humble knowledge to a guy who wants to learn not just kicking around.

Manny

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you got out of the squeaky hamster wheel for the night. Isn't it awesome to bring something new to the table for a guy that really wants to learn. When you look in there eyes and see that the light bulb has come on and know that they learned something new it is really satisfying to both parties. I have had to help people who English was there second language, in doing so I have had to come up with some nifty ways to get the point across.

Sounds like a great night!

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
as a student we learn the basics. but as a teacher, you truly learn and understand the basics. teaching is the next step in the learning process. I learned so much more about taekwondo when i began teaching. you will too. its all part of the cycle.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah it was refreshing for a hamster to go out of it's caged wheel jejejejeje. Since I met Pepe something sparked as you said, Pepe is a grown man with hearing probems since a boy and this has made him a shy guy with a little sense of humor. Since I meet him I knew he will need some special treatment so I talk him very slowly so he can read my lips and I use the blackboard to write the technike in spanish (our mother languaje) and in korean too.

One night afther class he introduce me his father, Pepe told his father I was his friend and a great help in his TKD classes, Pepe's father gave a big smile and thanked me, I only told him his son is a nice person to teach.

Manny

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Manny, I get the impression from your post that you got more enjoyment out of that one class than you have out of the last year of training. I think you have found your interest in TKD. You are not interested in belts or trophies, you are interested in helping people. When you look back on things it will be moments like this that will mean more to you than anything else.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny, I get the impression from your post that you got more enjoyment out of that one class than you have out of the last year of training. I think you have found your interest in TKD. You are not interested in belts or trophies, you are interested in helping people. When you look back on things it will be moments like this that will mean more to you than anything else.

Yes, you are right, I love to teach cause I can teach the way I like to be taught.

When I teach I put emphasis in Self Defense combos and drills, I try to use equally feet and hands, I try to use grabs,sweeps,takedowns,etc,etc. Also I put attention to technike cause I like the things well done, and like to improvise.

Manny

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I knew a deaf III Dan at one point, and had a deaf student myself - being deaf makes communication more difficult, but changes nothing else. The blind lady who came to class for a while... she was hard to adapt for, but I learned a lot myself in the process.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a deaf classmate; his 2 kids, who are also deaf, train in the junior classes, also. My organization also has a blind black belt, who was blind when he started training.

Latest Discussions