Teaching Taekwondo to beginners over the age of 40

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would echo a lot of the sentiments already mentioned...

Treat me like an adult. Show me what to do and then watch me do it to make sure I do it properly. I do not need to do 10 push-ups if I get it wrong, that just wastes my time and yours.
I can and will practice on my own at home so once I can do a technique I do not need to repeat it 100 times in the dojang. Repeating it enough times to make it stick long enough for me to do it at home is sufficient.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone, for the great input! As an older practitioner and someone with experience teaching older practitioners, I can certainly relate to what you've all shared here.

Let me add another question: If you were teaching Taekwondo to over-40 beginners along with their beginner children in a family class (so, everyone there has intentionally chosen the mixed age setting for their own reasons and knowing the pros and cons), what are key issues, approaches, and so on, to best meet the needs of such a diverse age group?

Thank you!

Cynthia
I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't offer it as an option. If I were going to mix ages so dramatically, I'd do it only in an open mat kind of a setting.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
While that was insightful. The answer really does not have anything to do with the OP's question. It was asked how do you teach TKD to people in their 40's or older. So is your answer to turn away potential clients to TKD telling them they are too old?
I can't speak for Bill, but what I took is that you can presume that if someone comes into your school, regardless of age, they believe themselves to be physically capable of performing the activity. As adults, we're old enough and presumably mature enough to gauge our physical capabilities and decide for ourselves whether a particular style is suitable. So, if we're there, we shouldn't expect nor ask for any curriculum changes on our behalf as a result of our age.

Just what I took. YMMV.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Again good warm ups are the key. The kids can handle it and the adults need it. :) If the adults tend lag behind the kids, just remind them to do what they can and don't get frustrated with trying to keep up with the kids. Some of the issues I have encountered in the past are parents being parents during class. It is natural for them to scold their child if they are misbehaving or try to correct the child if they are not 100% correct in executing the technique. You have to respectfully remind them that it is your duty to handle the kid if they step out of line. That way they won't feel beat up by having two adults correcting them, scolding them, or whatever.

Another issue is to make it a mix of fun with a mix of stern learning. Even though they intentionally sign up knowing that kids will be there, adults still want some serious lessons as opposed to more light hearted fun that you might have in a kids' class. So I would recommend repetition of techniques disguised in different drills. This will keep it interesting for the kids while adults get some good lessons as well and still keep the learning at a normal fun level.

Be sure to switch up partners for drills. Don't feel you have to stick the kid with one of their own parents all the time.
When you guys say "kids" what do you mean?

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Again good warm ups are the key. The kids can handle it and the adults need it. :) If the adults tend lag behind the kids, just remind them to do what they can and don't get frustrated with trying to keep up with the kids. Some of the issues I have encountered in the past are parents being parents during class. It is natural for them to scold their child if they are misbehaving or try to correct the child if they are not 100% correct in executing the technique. You have to respectfully remind them that it is your duty to handle the kid if they step out of line. That way they won't feel beat up by having two adults correcting them, scolding them, or whatever.

Another issue is to make it a mix of fun with a mix of stern learning. Even though they intentionally sign up knowing that kids will be there, adults still want some serious lessons as opposed to more light hearted fun that you might have in a kids' class. So I would recommend repetition of techniques disguised in different drills. This will keep it interesting for the kids while adults get some good lessons as well and still keep the learning at a normal fun level.

Be sure to switch up partners for drills. Don't feel you have to stick the kid with one of their own parents all the time.
I might add not to partner siblings together. And we try not to parnter parents with their own kids when possible. Also Announce to the kids at the start (so the parents hear it). She/He is not your Mom/Dad for the next X minutes :)

decepticon

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am in a mixed age class, with all levels and also an advanced class with just higher belts.

One physical thing that I think really helps me that I haven't seen mentioned here is post workout stretching. I definitely have more soreness if I don't do a short routine of stretching after class. I also think it helps me improve my flexibility to stretch again after all my muscles are well warmed up. On a more "mental" note, I used to have a great memory, but now my memory is shot. I do have a lot more difficulty remembering long, complicated moves. So lots of repetition is helpful to me in that respect.

Occasionally some of the black belts - much younger than me - will teach the class. The main thing I don't like about that is that some of the BBs don't have a very commanding presence. I am there to be taught and I want taught! When I step out onto the mat, I don't care about a person's age, I care whether they are more knowledgeable than me and are willing to help me improve. I wish that in that situation, they would show me less old-lady respect and more intermediate-student command and correction. I won't crumble into a teary eyed mess if they yell at me to get my blocks up higher. I don't want them to let me continue to do something incorrectly just to avoid the embarrassment of having them point out my flaws in class. We all know I am a middle aged soccer mom type, so now let's move on to more knife disarms.

I will be honest though, we are just starting to learn some of the major throws and I am a little afraid of how my body will be able to handle that. So I would love to get plenty of preparatory information, break fall practice, and also hear whether my instructor thinks I can handle it. I have just recently moved up from beginner to intermediate so need to feel my way a little bit to reassure myself that I am equal to the task. The sparring is harder and more complicated, but I do think I can do it, if I am able to approach it more slowly and mindfully.

OP
lifespantkd

lifespantkd

Blue Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One physical thing that I think really helps me that I haven't seen mentioned here is post workout stretching. I definitely have more soreness if I don't do a short routine of stretching after class. I also think it helps me improve my flexibility to stretch again after all my muscles are well warmed up.

I agree that regularly stretching after really being warmed up through a good practice session yields better results than only stretching during warm ups before the practice session. I do both. The first to prepare my joints and muscles for impending activity and the second to improve my flexibility in the long run. I think there's more protection from injury by engaging in the two stretching sessions.

Cynthia

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree that regularly stretching after really being warmed up through a good practice session yields better results than only stretching during warm ups before the practice session. I do both. The first to prepare my joints and muscles for impending activity and the second to improve my flexibility in the long run. I think there's more protection from injury by engaging in the two stretching sessions.

Cynthia
A good knowledge of stretching and how it works is very important. Stretching requirements differ greatly from one physical exercise to another. There is static stretching and dynamic stretching and knowing the difference and when to use which is aslo very important. Also, being aware of things that decrease flexibility. Riding a bike, for instance, is not good at all for flexibility and can undo your hardwork. Thomas Kurz's books opened my mind up to stretching and the fact that stretching required for one physical activity can differ greatly from another. Most people just walk in the dojo and do the same stretches they learnt playing football in highschool.

OP
lifespantkd

lifespantkd

Blue Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good knowledge of stretching and how it works is very important. Stretching requirements differ greatly from one physical exercise to another. There is static stretching and dynamic stretching and knowing the difference and when to use which is aslo very important. Also, being aware of things that decrease flexibility. Riding a bike, for instance, is not good at all for flexibility and can undo your hardwork. Thomas Kurz's books opened my mind up to stretching and the fact that stretching required for one physical activity can differ greatly from another. Most people just walk in the dojo and do the same stretches they learnt playing football in highschool.

Thank you for the book referral! I just requested it from my local library. What do you think of the information on stretching in Ultimate Flexibility: Stretching for Martial Arts and in Martial Arts after 40--both by Sang H. Kim? Are you familiar with them? He talks about different types of stretching and the need to customize stretching to the actual physical activity you wish to perform, too.

Cynthia

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have the first one and it's very good.

Sent using Tapatalk. Please ignore typos.

MariaK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm a blue belt in TKD, close to 40. In my opinion, the mixed classes (kids and adults) are the worst. Like in today's class in a blue belt "subgoup" (3 adults and 2 kids of around 7-8 years old), we were learning a new poomsae. Kids were breaking disipline all the time, distracting the instructor, adults were standing and waiting while the instructor shouted at kids.

Probably, one more recommendation to adult group who start over the age of 20 :): I would like to hear additional (respectful but sincere) advice on the improvement of general physical abilities. I see a lot of overweight adults (including soccer moms and dads) who come once per week for a 50 minute class to join their kids for a mixed class. Well, it's a straight road to all possible injuries. Instructors do not tell people directly that they need rigorous cross-training IN ADDITION to training of technical skills in TKD. If you are not a former athlete it's very hard to figure out on your own what other exercises you need and what muscle groups to target etc.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm a blue belt in TKD, close to 40. In my opinion, the mixed classes (kids and adults) are the worst. Like in today's class in a blue belt "subgoup" (3 adults and 2 kids of around 7-8 years old), we were learning a new poomsae. Kids were breaking disipline all the time, distracting the instructor, adults were standing and waiting while the instructor shouted at kids.

Probably, one more recommendation to adult group who start over the age of 20 :): I would like to hear additional (respectful but sincere) advice on the improvement of general physical abilities. I see a lot of overweight adults (including soccer moms and dads) who come once per week for a 50 minute class to join their kids for a mixed class. Well, it's a straight road to all possible injuries. Instructors do not tell people directly that they need rigorous cross-training IN ADDITION to training of technical skills in TKD. If you are not a former athlete it's very hard to figure out on your own what other exercises you need and what muscle groups to target etc.

The best advice is to try to get to class more than once per week so your body will adapt more. Taekwondo is an excellent, progressive fitness curriculum when managed by a knowledgeable instructor with classes appropriate to your level. A good Taekwondo class should include some of the general fitness you seek.

One good way to supplement your classes is to practice your poomsae daily. Chain your forms and do them non-stop from lowest to highest. I also suggest daily stretching along with squats, lunges, pushups, core/abs work, and any cardio you wish. At a minimum do the stretching and exercises related to whatever are your weak spots. As a blue belt I suspect you already have a sense of what's stronger and weaker for you. Have you asked your instructor?

Carl

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can't speak for Bill, but what I took is that you can presume that if someone comes into your school, regardless of age, they believe themselves to be physically capable of performing the activity. As adults, we're old enough and presumably mature enough to gauge our physical capabilities and decide for ourselves whether a particular style is suitable. So, if we're there, we shouldn't expect nor ask for any curriculum changes on our behalf as a result of our age.

Just what I took. YMMV.

The last part of what he wrote was indeed insightful. However, to begin the statement "..I do not think I would pick TKD to learn. It has an emphasis on kicking and especially, high kicks..." really had no bearing as an answer. The OP did not ask if you were 40 years old what martial art would you pick. The question revolved around how do you teach TKD to older people.

I do not know Bill's personal experience with TKD, but I can tell you that in my 25+ years I have never come across a school that made older people kick above their heads or even forced them to kick high in general. At "worse" I have come across schools that pushed older people to kick at least waist high, but never forced them too. So again, while Bill ended his statement nicely the opening remarks were irrelevant to the question.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When you guys say "kids" what do you mean?
Kids in the family classes that I have been around will start about 7 or 8 years of age and go from there. Parents are usually enrolled mostly for the kids more than themselves. They do it as a family activity. My experience is that after a year, maybe two at best, the parents tend to drop out and the kids keep going.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started at 46, and to be honest (and not to pick on TKD), I do not think I would pick TKD to learn. It has an emphasis on kicking and especially, high kicks. While I have been assured by various persons that 'anyone can learn' to kick backwards over their head while spinning 540 degrees, I do not agree. I know my limitations. Isshin-Ryu has been the right art for me. Low kicks, power, absolute brutality. This, I can do. I figure you have to play to your strengths and not your weaknesses when you get to a certain age. I won't ever be an astronaut, but damn I can dig a pretty ditch to lay one down in.

Hi Bill, you are right in some points. I retook TKD at 40 tears old, it was not easy... well it's not easy today either but as I have two 40+ students I try not to kill them in every TKD class, I know their limitations and their strong points.
I have adpated TKD to my needs and it seems my TKD suits well my students, we do power kicks like you do and we try to do head kicks too (not overemphacite in this) and we try to do one ot two spining kicks but that's all. We have remove the flamboyant/speedy/junmping/turning kicks so wondeful TKD have but we have keep the very true and sound techs and we like to improve them a little.

Your karate must suit you very well and believe me I am trying to my tkd siut me well and to my students.

Manny

TKDinAK

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm a 46 year old green belt who first started TKD (ITF) eight months previous, with no prior martial arts training experience.

Because my dojang is a block from where I work, I attend a lot of my school's noon time All Rank Adult classes. We get a few younger teens in this class, but it's mostly people my age or in their 30's and 50's. One thing I like about this class, is that because almost everyone has to go back to their jobs afterward, it's taught more from a technical standpoint. Patterns, self defense, some low impact drills and bag work. Not very much cardio or intense drill work. I also regularily attend advanced classes for a more intense workout, but the noon class lets me work on fine tuning everything.

My instructor is big on stretching beforehand... probably a good 15-20 min of class is stretching and warmup... regardless of whether it's a beginner class or advanced. Warmups are usually sabhangs. Sabhangs are a set of three movements and are done in four direction succession. We have five sabhangs, each with a specific set of movements.

After the stretching and warm ups, i'm ready for anything... including sparring.

Every now and then, if the instructor is busy, he'll have a young BB open class. And almost invariably, the young gun will just jump right into push ups, or squats, or some fairly intensive(for the old folks) cardio drills... with no stretching. I've never mentioned this to the instructor because it doesn't happen all that often. If it did, I would say something. You have a class full of 30-40-50 year olds of varying rank... there'd better be some pre-stretching involved. JMO.

So, from my limited experience, in both TKD and being athletically involved, I would say the most important part is a good pre stretch and warmup. After that, common sense should be the rule.... such as expecting 40 year olds to do 50 jump spinning kicks on the bag might not be a great idea. :)

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Every now and then, if the instructor is busy, he'll have a young BB open class. And almost invariably, the young gun will just jump right into push ups, or squats, or some fairly intensive(for the old folks) cardio drills... with no stretching.

To me, pushups, squats, and cardio don't require stretching, so I personally would not disagree with the instructor on the lack of stretching before those. I am very wary, however, of high kicks at the beginning of the class if I haven't tested my flexibility that day (by doing a few moderate rising kicks for instance or side straddle).

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me, pushups, squats, and cardio don't require stretching, so I personally would not disagree with the instructor on the lack of stretching before those. I am very wary, however, of high kicks at the beginning of the class if I haven't tested my flexibility that day (by doing a few moderate rising kicks for instance or side straddle).

I absolutely agree, pushups, squats, etc are limited range of motion exercises and are therefore useful to warm-up body temperature before stretching.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
My instructor is big on stretching beforehand... probably a good 15-20 min of class is stretching and warmup... regardless of whether it's a beginner class or advanced. Warmups are usually sabhangs. Sabhangs are a set of three movements and are done in four direction succession. We have five sabhangs, each with a specific set of movements.

After the stretching and warm ups, i'm ready for anything... including sparring.

I'm interested on more description of your stretching.

There is a lot of scientific evidence that says static stretching (generally sitting down and holding a stretched position) is not effective and can reduce performance and increase risk of injuries.

However, most Taekwondo instructors are still stuck in the stretching methods of the 60s/70s when we didn't know better.

TKDinAK

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just a sampling of a normal pre-stretch ritual...

Arm Windmills.
Arm across the body, both arms
Arm over head and touching back, both arms
Head rotations
Hip rotations
Knee roations
Standing spread legs stretch down the middle
Grab an ankle, nose to knee... switch
Squat stretches
Stretching from a lunge position, both legs
Regular Splits
Knee bent, leg stretched out to the side, switch
Sitting stretches, heels pulled into crotch, then halfway out
Legs out straight, grab toes, nose to knees
Standing stretch kicks, keep leg straight and kick above head

There are others and variances on the ones I listed above... but this is a good sampling.

Latest Discussions