Teacher's Pets

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All right, I will admit I have them. There is a young lady (don't worry folks I am happily married to a great woman) who I enjoy teaching because she has a droll way of wording her sentences and I am amused by her Aussie accent. I probably do give her more of my time in the way of instruction and corrections than I do others.

And as my son grows old enough to train and I allow him to join my group classes I imagine I would find it difficult to not give him as much of my attention as I deem needed.

Good thing, bad thing? Discuss.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my (limited) experience the babied ones don't last. Generally speaking, not just on the Dojang floor. (and that kid thing, well, don't be surprised if you are finding lavishing the not so positive attention on the kid or pawn him off to an assistant)

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All right, I will admit I have them. There is a young lady (don't worry folks I am happily married to a great woman) who I enjoy teaching because she has a droll way of wording her sentences and I am amused by her Aussie accent. I probably do give her more of my time in the way of instruction and corrections than I do others.

And as my son grows old enough to train and I allow him to join my group classes I imagine I would find it difficult to not give him as much of my attention as I deem needed.

Do not train your own kid. Have another one of your instructors do that for you. I tell you this from experience. I used to train my sons and it was difficult. Parents tend to be harder on their kids when training them and not in a good way. Plus there is the air of familiarity breeds contempt. There is nothing wrong with correcting them, but over all training should be left up to another person you can trust.

As for teacher's pets. I have a couple of students who I really enjoy working with. They are eager to learn and practice hard and have fun doing it. But alas all yin must have a yang. There are a couple of students that truly test my patience and perserverance when training them. ha.ha.ha

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I train my sons in their regular class, and they have an additional coach. No problems. They treat me with more respect and deference now than they ever did before I was their instructor (not that they were disrespectful before). So I don't have a problem with teaching your own kids. I also haven't found it difficult to give them similar amounts of attention as the other kids. I do have students who I would love to spend more time on than others, but with large classes, I have to be very careful how I divide my time. I'm more likely to spend energy and time on my "pets" outside of class, though--funny how those favorites are usually the same ones who show up early and stay late.

Oh, another thing with my sons; I make them work (setting up the classroom, etc.). The other kids don't do have to do that, but because my boys are the highest-ranked kids in the class, they have to take on those responsibilities. Other students help if they arrive early; and other students and some parents help put chairs and stuff away after class.

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think having a pet student based on just liking them, or thinking they have a quaint accent is probably not the best thing.

I've always told my own kids though (and have found it true) that coaches, teachers, TKD instructors etc. will tend to reward those that are working hard and showing promise. I don't think that kind of teachers pet is a bad thing. If two or three kids are leaving it all on the mat and giving way more than the rest of the students, I think they've earned a little added attention.

I've always found in what ever role of leadership, coaching, training etc. I do with my kids I tend to be harder on them and expect more out of them. For me it's best to leave it up to someone else.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We all have favorite people we like to work with, and the only problem I can see is when it's undeserved or doesn't result in improvement.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it's okay to have favorites as long as it's not blatantly obvious. The sensitive ones may notice anyway but to me a good instructor does help the naturally talented student(s) progress at a level they're comfortable with while balancing the amount of attention with the rest of the class.
Always asking the same student to lead the katas or exercises is pushing it, rotating around will help minimize resentment towards the "teacher's pet".
Also helps if the same student isn't favored by all the instructors... i.e. each instructor has their favorites which helps balance the harmony/zen of the dojo...
Favoritism can't be helped but it can be kept to a minimum without hurting the feelings of the rest.

Just my humble opinion. :asian:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
First for the teacher’s pet issue. Everyone has students that they enjoy teaching vs. others so it does exist. There are students that I like to teach for various reasons. Some just have a great attitude and other put in the effort. These are the ones that you will tend to give a little more and they deserve it.

As for teaching your son. That is personal and for each to decide. Some can't and some can. That is up to you. I personally, train my kids. Yes the master instructor trains them in class as well as he trains me also, but I assist those classes and get to have a hands on with them as well. I also train them at home and really put them through the paces. I would like to believe that it is my added training at home that put them on top. No one in the dojang at their age and rank can touch them as I know no one is training at home as much as they do.

I work on the details with them that others only work on during class time. Things like footwork and timing, as well as correct form and techniques. I also work the conditioning as I feel you can never be to in shape.

So when it comes down to it, no one can decided but you if training your own kids will work but you. Each situation is different and only you know your own.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach my kids out of necessity, but would rather someone else did it for their sake. I'm harder on them for some things and easier on them about others. What I am NOT is unbiased. I'm constsntly critiquing myself for things I could have done and should be doing better. It's a struggle.

As for pets. It's only natural. We do it in every aspect of our lives as personalities interact. Why would training be any different. The positive is that you are aware and acknowledge it. Anyone who doesn't isn't being realistic and has no hope of being a better teacher tomorrow than they are today.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was under the opinion that parents should not train their kids. I have had the pleasure of observing Terry, Gemini and ATC and they do a great job with their kids. I however do not have that ability. So like ATC says some can and some can't. I am sure as they get older training with a parent becomes more difficult thou!!!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was under the opinion that parents should not train their kids. I have had the pleasure of observing Terry, Gemini and ATC and they do a great job with their kids. I however do not have that ability. So like ATC says some can and some can't. I am sure as they get older training with a parent becomes more difficult thou!!!
You are correct. As they age I know my role will change and I won't have much to do with their training. I just hope that I have instilled a good work ethic and that they picked up and appreciate some of the tough love. I know that for now they don't.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do tend to favor the students who really want to be there, work hard, and are genuinely curious to learn more. I do give them more of my attention than I do students who want to "just get by" or who would rather be elsewhere. I do try to bring the latter along, but trying hard gets my attention every time.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a little girl in class of about 9, and she's ADD/whatever you want to believe/hyper active little kid. The girl gets no sugar and still goes about 100mph. Holding her attention is very much a challenge. But her shear excitement when she steps into class and the way she yells louder than every other student makes me smile every time.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I teach MA it`s always been pretty much on a private or very small group level, so I guess you could say most of them were pets. But I noticed I was much stricter with my nephews than with other students.

I`m also a school teacher by trade, and although I try to give lots of my free time to kids who have trouble understanding to topic, I find my pets are usually the ones who either love the subject and really make the effort, or the ones who get it right off the bat so that I have to give them more to keep challenging them.

Latest Discussions