Teacher's Name on Patch: Good or Bad?

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I made the final design for my school patches and showed it off last week. One of my student's parents (whose husband is a black belt) asked me why my name is not anywhere on the patch.
I am torn on how I feel about that. I know many good (and bad) teachers who feature their name on their students' patches, but I feel if I do it, it would come off as tacky or egotistical. The good teachers I know of who do it are not egomaniacs (in my opinion), so apparently this is just a hang up I have.
How does everyone feel about putting the head instructor's name on the school uniform patch?

AoG

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I personnally do not like it for me but I have like some other people that was in good taste. I know does not help much so I will say no at this time

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd go with Tacky and egotistical as well. Also makes the club into less of a club, and more of a personality based following. I consider myself a part of my club, not my club a part of me.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't put my name on my class's patch because it never dawned on my that I should do so (my class's patch is my avatar) - my name isn't in the class name, so why should it be on the patch? Also, I would hope that, ultimately, the class will continue without me - so why would I want to put my name on it and make it harder? That's the same reason I didn't name the class for the location, the way other people I know have - because then if the class changes location again (as it has several times in the past) the name and logo of the class can stay the same.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Naw, I wouldn't ...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like Kacey's reasoning for not putting her name on the patch. It's the best way I've heard that said. I hope to raise up students who take over for me, someday. I'd want them to have their own identity when they run their own program.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guess I see it as kinda the same decision one has in owning any business. Name it after yourself, or dream it will outgrow/outlive you. I believe this is what Kacey and IcemanSK are saying as well. Seems teachers think alike more than I believed.

When I did own a business (roughly the middle ages), never wanted it named after me. Just my preference, and I've had great instructors over the years who've done it the other way (as Terryl said).

Bottom line, I'm thinking along the same lines as you, AofG. :wink1:

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personal preference. I don't see it as a problem; in fact, I recently was able to strike up a conversation with a parent whose kid had a TKD uniform with a patch that said it was owned by a former classmate of mine who was now a studio owner. It can have its place.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think its tacky for an instructor to put their own name on their patch. If an instructors student opens their own school and puts their instructors name on their patch denoting their lineage thats different. But for an instructor to put their own I think is egotisical.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think its tacky for an instructor to put their own name on their patch. If an instructors student opens their own school and puts their instructors name on their patch denoting their lineage thats different. But for an instructor to put their own I think is egotisical.

I'm sorry to have disagree so strongly, but I think your painting it with too broad a brush. Many down to earth and humble folks open MA schools with their last name, such as Johnson's TKD Academy, Smith's Kenpo, or Alvarez's Boxing Gym. To me, such a patch just says what school you go to. One local instructor comes from both a Tracy Kenpo and a Jhoon Rhee TKD lineage. What should he put on his patch? Tae Kwem Po? Seriously, I think its fine for him to call his chain by his last name - particularly as it is a family run business (his family, and IIRC, his brother and father also).

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Another no here with exceptions:

If the instructor dies I could understand a respectful memorial.

If the name is of someone who has acheived fame in martial arts.

IMO, schools should be named after towns or heros of TKD or Korean history. This way the school can carry on, long after the instructor retires from the business, with out much impact. I know we talking about a patch no nesecarily the school, but it would still denote a scence of permance of the name.

Jsut my 2¥

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If your school uses your name then I think it is ok. But better than that, if the association you belong to has a patch then I would just use that.

Your school, your call.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personal preference. I don't see it as a problem; in fact, I recently was able to strike up a conversation with a parent whose kid had a TKD uniform with a patch that said it was owned by a former classmate of mine who was now a studio owner. It can have its place.

How cool is that? Must have been very gratifying to know your work is being replicated. :asian:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If a particular teacher of the martial arts started up his own system, and made it thrive along, then it's not inappropriate for him to put his name on the patch. After all, it seems perfectly normal to see "Gracie Jiu Jitsu" on a patch, or "Ed Parker's Kenpo" and so forth. While such examples are rather select, they still show that it's not necessarily a bad thing.

In my case, the systems have made me who I am, and not the other way around. This is why I will not put my name on any patches, even if I do end up owning my own dojo in the future.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry to have disagree so strongly, but I think your painting it with too broad a brush. Many down to earth and humble folks open MA schools with their last name, such as Johnson's TKD Academy, Smith's Kenpo, or Alvarez's Boxing Gym. To me, such a patch just says what school you go to. One local instructor comes from both a Tracy Kenpo and a Jhoon Rhee TKD lineage. What should he put on his patch? Tae Kwem Po? Seriously, I think its fine for him to call his chain by his last name - particularly as it is a family run business (his family, and IIRC, his brother and father also).
No need to apoligize for disagreeing. I did that with my school "Fisher Family Martial Arts" But the patch is still not designed that way just the logo thats on our letterhead and door.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I made the final design for my school patches and showed it off last week. One of my student's parents (whose husband is a black belt) asked me why my name is not anywhere on the patch.
I am torn on how I feel about that. I know many good (and bad) teachers who feature their name on their students' patches, but I feel if I do it, it would come off as tacky or egotistical. The good teachers I know of who do it are not egomaniacs (in my opinion), so apparently this is just a hang up I have.
How does everyone feel about putting the head instructor's name on the school uniform patch?

AoG

If you are offering a quality program than I do not see anything wrong with it. I can tell you however that it was not until I left my former dojo and took the patch off that I learned some not so nice things about the dojo owner from people I had met at seminars who were afraid to approach me while wearing his patch.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am split on it, as a student I'd be proud to wear a patch bearing the name of an instructor I was proud of learning under, but if it was MY name going on there as an instructor, I'd feel a bit egotistical about it.

I think I'd sway on the side of no, but for purely personal reasons, rather than general ones.

Latest Discussions