tatami mats

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi. I was thinking about redoing my bedroom with a traditional tatami style flooring. Ive seen pictures of tatami floors but i dont know too much about which ones would be best, most durable, or most comfortable. I also dont know to many people that might be experienced with such a thing but i figured that people on the board might have done similar things. So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions i would really appreciate it. Thanks.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
spatulahunter said:
Hi. I was thinking about redoing my bedroom with a traditional tatami style flooring. Ive seen pictures of tatami floors but i dont know too much about which ones would be best, most durable, or most comfortable. I also dont know to many people that might be experienced with such a thing but i figured that people on the board might have done similar things. So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions i would really appreciate it. Thanks.

If you live were it is humid I would get them. The basically suck up water that is in the air and start to rot and stink. Tatami in Japan have to be changed every so often and it gets pricey. They are also a haven for mites and all sort of other little nastys.

OP
S

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Reaction score
well i guess that it doesnt much matter now, i talked to my mom about the idea (im a college student that still lives with my mom) and she told that we are going to be selling our house within the year. So i may design a japanese room when we build our next one but it looks like i have a little more time to learn about it.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, My friends Uncle had them in their house in the living room with a Japanese style interior. Adds a great touch to the home. They order them from Japan and like carpets,the prices and quality will vary too. ...Aloha

A

auxprix

Another thing to consider: The tatami floors are very fragile and difficult to clean. If you make a small tear or spill something on one, you would probably have to replace the mat. I happen to like the smell of tatami, but alot of people do not like the oder it leaves in a room. Make sure you like that before you buy them.

In my opinion, pass on it. It's a novelty that would likely turn into a headache pretty quick (though they are nice, I will admit.)

OP
S

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Reaction score
auxprix said:
Another thing to consider: The tatami floors are very fragile and difficult to clean. If you make a small tear or spill something on one, you would probably have to replace the mat. I happen to like the smell of tatami, but alot of people do not like the oder it leaves in a room. Make sure you like that before you buy them.

In my opinion, pass on it. It's a novelty that would likely turn into a headache pretty quick (though they are nice, I will admit.)

maybe i will just order one mat and use it almost like a rug that way i can decide if i really do want to have them or if it is like you say just a novelty that would become a pain

Tripitaka of AA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A Tatami mat is about 2.5 to 3.5 inches thick (they are set into the floor with wooden edging all around) but you don't normally see how thick they are unless you're changing them. Buying ONE wouldn't really help, as you'd be stuck with a next-to-useless slab of hard, thick, mildly decorative... raised floor!

Getting a floor done is expensive, and just like breast implants, you'll need to replace them regularly, so don't imagine it is an easy option :(.

I guess it is a whole lot easier in Japan, where such things are more easily available.

OP
S

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tripitaka of AA said:
Getting a floor done is expensive, and just like breast implants, you'll need to replace them regularly, so don't imagine it is an easy option :(.
great analogy! heheh

Tripitaka of AA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
See here for a typically "European" description of what Tatami are about.

Oh, and just like "Breast Implants" you can stick em almost anywhere, but that won't make it look right! :D Remember that these days a modern Japanese apartment might have only one or two rooms lad with Tatami, and the rest will be hardwood flooring and/or carpet.

A

auxprix

Not to nit-pick, but most apts I've been to here have been linoleum (sp?). It's cheaper and easier to care for.